Sad Love

First Love Turns Second

Jun Ho’s POV

 

Counting down seven days before our last day of filming, the time spent had been really fruitful. Today was the day we would meet the composers again and let them listen the finalised version of our song.

 

So Eun and I texted yesterday because we were too nervous to sleep. That was one of the reasons. The main reason was that I missed listening to her voice.

 

I walked quickly to the café that I was supposed to meet her; unable to hide the smile I was plastered with. The cameras followed me and I spotted her sitting at the window waiting for me. She was still meticulously taking care of the lyrics until the last day.

 

I knocked on the window to attract her attention. She looked up like a small and cute puppy. She came out immediately and I asked her, “You arrived pretty early?”

 

“Oh, no.” She laughed.

 

“It’s finally the day of the devil.”

 

“Ah, I’m really very nervous.” She whined and naturally grabbed the sleeve of my shirt. She seemed to be more natural around me, in front of the camera.

 

I looked at her intently, “You’re nervous?”

 

“I am, aren’t you?”

 

“Even though I’m nervous, I’m quite confident.” I said that, not really knowing whether it was a statement or a question. Even though I was very nervous, I had to portray that I had confidence to make her less nervous.

 

We reached the studio after knocking the door. The composers were still doing their work seriously, not even bothering to greet us at the door. Both of us looked at each other, pondering whether to say hello to them. Even though we had greeted them before, there was no denial that we were still nervous around them.

 

I decided to make the first move, “Hello directors.”

 

“Hello!” So Eun followed suit and said it in her high-pitched and cheerful voice, covering up her anxiety.

 

“Oh, you’re here?” The directors said.

 

They moved up from their seats and I mentioned, “You all were so engrossed that I didn’t know whether to call you or not.” They laughed after I broke the ice between us.

 

We sat down across them and they asked, “You guys had a hard time, did you?”

 

“Yes, we had a hard time.” I admitted honestly.

 

“Looking at your faces, it seemed that you guys haven’t sleep much.” The director mentioned casually. Yes, we did not sleep. Not because we had spent a lot of time on the song but we were too nervous and spending the night texting each other, Mr Director.

 

“Over a few days, we have gotten a little…” I mumbled across and continued, “Firstly, we worked to the most of our capabilities.”

 

Before I got to continue, the director asked So Eun, “So Eun, did your feelings flow smoothly writing the lyrics?”

 

“Firstly, I felt that it wasn’t easy. I worked hard; I worked hard in my own way so I don’t feel regret at all.” She said and I could feel her efforts through her words. Hopefully, they would recognise it.

 

“You will regret if it’s not good.” They laughed but the comment was harsh on her.

 

She tried to laugh it off by saying, “I’ll cry if it’s not good.”

 

I started to feel worried for her. What would happen if they did not like the song? It would be a slap in our faces, especially for So Eun who did not have much music experience.

 

“Firstly, let’s listen to the song.” The director suggested, “Face it as soon as possible.”

 

So Eun handed them the lyrics sheets as they played the song with my voice in it. It had my voice but no lyrics. Their expressions were emotionless. There was no heads or tails to it so we could not tell if they liked or disliked it. There was no reaction.

 

They looked at each other and said, “Just wait. We’re going to have a talk.”

 

“Okay.” We nodded.

 

“Drink some coffee.” He pointed at the untouched cups of coffee. Who would have the mood to drink coffee right now? We did not need the extra caffeine in our bodies.

 

I offered So Eun some and her face was extremely pale and bad, “I don’t want to drink.” She rejected harshly and sighed heavily. I could not do anything to comfort her for I was nervous as well. Thus, I waited patiently with her. I wanted to reach over to touch her hand but the cameras restricted me to do so.

 

It was only a few minutes wait but it felt like hours.

 

They came back after the wait. The director said to us, “I have experience this before but because I am directly involved so we have to talk among ourselves about this.” He knew that we were nervous so he explained why he had to go out of the studio to discuss.

 

We waited for his verdict.

 

“To be honest, I felt very burdensome doing this from my point of view. By my final decision and the liability falls in my hands, I have a heavy burden.” He explained to us again but we had no idea what he was going to do next.

 

“Although we have to decide again when the song is finished, I have talked to him about the decision…” He pondered for a moment and we were left hanging. And then, he looked up at us and said, “We will use it.”

 

I widened my eyes in amazement and smiled at him, still feeling confused about the situation.

 

“It was really well-written. I really love the lyrics.” He said to So Eun and she bowed to him in gratitude. I could see her relief and happiness through the small smile she had on her face. I’m really surprised.”

 

“Thank you!” We said together. So Eun covered and turned to me, “Oh my, I think I’m going to cry.” She was trying her best not to let her tears fall. She fanned herself repeatedly and kept calm. I desired so much to go forward and give her a warm hug.

 

“Honestly, looking at the lyrics, it felt like a complete different person. So Eun must have finished a lot of notebooks on this song.” Even the director could see her effort through the lyrics.

 

We started chuckling as she suddenly spoke, “It’s no joke. I really did a lot of notebooks on this.” Normally, people would be humble and said no but she proudly displayed her effort through showing her notebooks to the director.

 

Adorable, I thought to myself.

 

“You finally had the understanding of the flow and grasped the feeling.” The director continued to praise her as I clapped for her.

 

She sighed in relief and bowed again, “Oh, thank you…”

 

“The melody as well,” The director turned their attention to me now and continued, “The flow and voicing got better than before. The quality of the song is not only suitable for this OST but also suitable for any other OST as well.”

 

I could not help but show my euphoria through my expression. I looked down humbly and thanked him politely for the compliment.

 

So Eun’s POV

 

“So Eun, you are done with the hardships, it’s time for you to watch now.” The directors and the two of us stood up. It was time for Jun Ho to record the demo for the OST before Lee Jung took over.

 

However, it was not the end. Since the reading of lyrics might turn out different when singing, I had to come in and fix those little parts as Jun Ho sang the song. Jun Ho went into the recording room and put on the headphones.

 

I smiled at him and mouthed ‘Fighting’. He gave a thumbs up and smiled at me back. All these hardships and weeks of effort had been worth it. Not only we came up with a song together, we also patched up and became a couple again. So many things had happened during this period and I was ever so grateful.

 

Nevertheless, the past memories of our marriage flashed across my mind. It was bittersweet with loads of obstacles, difficulties and hardships. We did not handle that relationship well but after all these, we knew it was time to start anew. Our love was never like others, it was not as sweet and smooth-sailing. It was terribly bitter and… sad.

 

I turned to the director and called him, “Director, I have thought of the title of the song.”

 

“Really? What will it be then?”

 

I gave Jun Ho a quick look as he was preparing his voice, “The title of the song is… Sad Love.”

 

A/N:

I like the picture above! She looks so in love with him as she stares deeply into his eyes (AHHHH). Haha, I'm crazy. I didn't plan this story to be this long. I thought it will take up 30 chapters maximum but... I think I'll exceed! I don't know if it's a good thing or not. What do you think? :O