Almost

First Love Turns Second

So Eun’s POV

 

I followed my manager to the director’s office. My heart was pumping like crazy. It was not my first time meeting a director but Lee Dae Wook was different. He gave off a very bad vibe to me even though many had described him to be charismatic and extremely charming. He’s in his early 30s but already well-established in the drama scene.

 

We had already reached the secretary’s table before I knew it. My manager greeted her and the secretary looked at me and smiled, “Mr Lee has been expecting you. Please wait as I inform him your arrival.”

 

We nodded and waited for her to make a call. Within seconds, she began to us to his office which was located at the end of the room. She knocked on the door and went in. She bowed and introduced us, “Mr Lee, here’s…”

 

“Secretary Jung, you may leave now.” He did not even wait for her to finish and invited us in. His eyes were intently on the computer. As we sat down, he finally removed his eyes from the screen and glanced at us.

 

I nodded and offered my hand, “Hello, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr Lee. I am Kim So Eun.”

 

“Really?” He asked sarcastically, “I heard you were very reluctant to meet me.” He gave a very small smile but not entirely threatening.

 

I was already feeling uncomfortable and shook my head, “What? No… Mr Lee…”

 

“I’m just joking. Please, don’t take me too seriously. Relax.” He tried to ease the tension but it was not working very well. I looked at my manager and he started the conversation, “Mr Lee, after the long consideration, the company has decided for So Eun to accept the offer for this drama. We have gone through the script very carefully and we think it’s an honour…”

 

“You’re not getting the offer.”

 

“What?” I was flabbergasted. I had thought about it for so long and he was rejecting me right now?

 

“You’re not getting the offer… yet.” He added. He stood up and started pacing around the office, “After the news of the latest drama, many actresses want to take up this offer as well. You know, I’m a very well-established director who only wants the best.”

 

He moved towards me and tilted his head, “And honestly, you’re not the best candidate out there.”

 

“But you have requested for me to appear in the drama. We have read through the script and you promised I’ll be the one to be in it. How can you change your words just because others are vying for it? I am in it first.” I was arrogant for once but I hated it when people wasted my time.

 

He widened his eyes at my attitude but was amused, “You really think this is how the showbiz world works, So Eun?”

 

I was taken aback but he continued, “Well, I’m still interested in you… So… Maybe I am thinking of something to see which actress is the best for my drama.”

 

“You want an audition?” I asked.

 

He hesitated for a while and nodded, “Something like that.” He touched my shoulder lightly that made me cringed, “I wonder if you are brave enough to take up the challenge then…”

 

I frowned. I had been to countless of auditions. What did he mean by that? I should be totally familiar with going for auditions already. However, the unknown famous actresses who were also interested in the drama made me lose confidence as well.

 

“Of course I am.” I said confidently even though I was trembling on the inside.

 

He laughed but it made me uncomfortable, “You’re feisty and confident despite your demure and gentle appearance. That’s what I like about you, So Eun.”

 

His words meant no harm and sounded innocent but I could not help but think he meant so much more. My manager stood up and said to him, “In that case, please inform me when you are having the audition so we can make the arrangements for So Eun to attend it.”

 

Mr Lee backed away and looked at me again, “I prefer to contact So Eun myself.”

 

“Mr Lee, I think it is more appropriate if…” My manager said but was interrupted.

 

“So Eun, may you give me your number?”

 

I looked at my manager who gave up on arguing in case he would offend Mr Lee. I nodded and gave it to him. “It’s nice to see you in person, Mr Lee. See you at the audition.” I bowed and emphasized on the audition to show interest in the drama instead of other stuff he was thinking about.

 

“Of course I will.”

 

With that, my manager and I left the office.

 

As we travelled in our car, I could see my manager boiling inside, “I told you he has an ulterior motive. I didn’t realize until I see him in person. He sounded like he was going to take you as a prey and eat you up alive. Luckily, I was there.”

 

I was entertained by his anger but was thinking about Mr Lee’s words too. Would he just sack me off just because I did not show enough interest?

 

“Maybe you should drop it. Don’t go for the audition…” He mentioned briefly.

 

I said to him, “No, I can’t. He’s challenging me. If I don’t go for it, he will take this opportunity and publicize me as a person who gives up easily. I don’t want people to think of me this way.”

 

“If you say so. So Eun, if he calls you, please tell me alright? He’s supposed to contact me, not you.” My manager warned me.

 

“Alright, alright. Don’t be angry anymore. Let’s drive to your favourite restaurant for some yummy food okay? I bet you are hungry from all the anger.” I and he smacked my head.

 

Jun Ho’s POV

 

“Don’t stop, can’t stop, 2PM go!”

 

Six of us shouted this every time before we went on stage. It was finally the day where we were able to secure a spot at the Japan music station. Although our song was cut short, it was still a chance to catch the attentions of Japanese fans.

 

After the song ended, we heard cheers among the crowd. We bet we secured some fans down there. We removed our outfits and makeup before heading out of the music station. We got in our car and it drove out. To our surprise, many fans gathered outside and waited for us. We were shocked at the number of people who came to support us.

 

At first, I was apprehensive of starting our career in Japan since it was real hard work. Only a mere amount of idol groups could make it in Japan successfully but it was a good start for us.

 

Min Jun waved his hand enthusiastically at the fans with a wide grin on his smile, “Wow! Look at this! Are they my fans? Must be right?”

 

“Yes, yes, Min Jun. You have the most fans in Japan.” Nichkhun nodded and started using his phone immediately.

 

I texted So Eun a while ago before I went to change out of my outfit. I checked again but she did not reply me. I sulked as I sent another text since I could not use my phone now. Although the rest of the members knew about our relationship (thanks to big-mouthed Woo Young), the managers did not.

 

Woo Young sent me an evil grin and asked, “Why? Waiting for a text?”

 

“No.” I answered coolly and placed away my phone.

 

We reached out hotel and I shared a room with Min Jun. As he was taking a shower, I took out my phone again and made a call to So Eun. It had a few rings before she picked up, “Hello?”

 

“So Eun!” I whispered her name and smiled at the sound of her angelic voice, “What are you doing?”

 

“Ah, Jun Ho! You’re done with your schedule?” She sounded happy at the sound of my voice too. I missed her so much. I answered her yes and she asked me again, “Are you coping well in Japan? Are you eating well? Wow, the food there is delicious, you know… and…”

 

I laughed at her enthusiasm and stopped her, “Hold on, So Eun. I have the whole night so slow down. I’m eating well but the schedule is no joke! I can hardly use my phone because the managers are watching me as if I’m a prey. I can only use my phone freely at night!”

 

“That’s sad. No wonder you reply me so slow… Anyway, it’s okay since you’re making money!” She joked.

 

“Yes, I’m making money for our future…”

 

“Who wants to have a future with you?” I could imagine her blushing from my words already. Damn, if only I could see her beautiful face now.

 

I started telling her my activities in Japan which she listened patiently. It took such a long time that even Min Jun finished bathing, putting on his daily lotions, watched some television, checked his Twitter to update fans and switched off his lights to sleep.

 

“Wow, we’ve been talking for almost two hours!” I exclaimed and checked the watch when Min Jun was already snoring away to his dreamland.

 

So Eun sighed, “I don’t want to check my phone bill.”

 

We both laughed but I covered my mouth so I would not disturb Min Jun. Then, I finally proceeded to ask about her. So far, we had been just talking about me, “So Eun, how are you? Any new drama shooting? I remember you finished the current one!”

 

“Yes, there’s something I want to tell you about it…” She said but I could not help but let out a yawn quietly.

 

Her ears were pretty sharp as she asked, “You’re tired?”

 

“Well, no.” I failed to cover that as I gave another yawn. I felt bad about it but she laughed it off. I sighed and said, “I’m sorry, So Eun. I didn’t mean to.”

 

“Jun Ho, it’s almost 3am and you need to get up early tomorrow. We will talk another day, alright? I don’t want to see a panda Jun Ho when you come back to Korea!” She teased again. She did not get angry with me as usual.

 

Smiling to myself, I whispered to her, “So Eun, goodnight.”

 

“Goodnight to you too, Jun Ho.” She whispered as well.

 

We both hung up the phone together and almost immediately, I fell asleep once my head touched the pillow.