Friends

First Love Turns Second

|January 2006|

 

“You’re early!” Jun Ho chirped as he saw the cute little So Eun rushing her way to his side.

 

“You’re earlier!” So Eun said in a high pitched voice. She always had that pitch whenever she was around him since she was nervous and in love with the perfect guy.

 

Jun Ho bit his lips nervously, not knowing what to do next. After all, it was his first date with a girl. He had just confessed to her earlier in school and here they were, having their very first date in the streets of Seoul.

 

“Should we go grab a bite?”  Jun Ho asked tenderly.

 

So Eun nodded and they walked beside each other. There was a prominent gap that no one dared to narrow it. Jun Ho seemed to be looking at the beautiful night scenery but his thoughts were filled with loads of questions. After all, what was there to see about the scenery he had faced for 16 years?

 

Should I hold her hand now? I should be… I mean, how can I not hold her hand on our date? Come on, pick up the courage to h-

 

Suddenly, So Eun started to scream and a man’s voice was heard from the front, “Make way, little girl!”

 

A man was pushing a big cart in front of her quickly, not caring whether So Eun was in his way. Rudely, he bumped into So Eun harshly and So Eun closed her eyes in shock.

 

“Be careful!” Jun Ho said and caught her safely in his left arm and protected her with his right. “Yah! Ahjusshi, can’t you see there’s a living person in front of you? Get an eye check!” Jun Ho screamed with anger and sighed.

 

He momentarily stopped his actions, knowing that he had shown her his true temper, that might have scared and gave her a bad impression. “Ah, So Eun. I’m sorry…” Jun Ho apologised for his manners.

 

“It’s… It’s okay, thank you,” So Eun stuttered and fidgeted, “Thank you for helping me…”

 

With that, Jun Ho realised she was still in his embrace. He looked into her eyes, noticing how she blushed from his touch. With some hesitation, he moved his arms and pulled her hand and intertwined his fingers with hers, holding onto her warm hand tightly, “I’ll never lose sight of you again.”

 

He squeezed her small hand, “I’ll never let your hand go.”

 

|2012|

 

Jun Ho’s POV

 

The past memories of the first time I held her hand made me feel in love all over again. The memories were a long time ago but still very vivid in my mind. How could anyone forget their first love? Maybe she could?

 

“Have you composed before?”

 

“Oh,” I was brought back to reality, “Actually, I started composing not too long ago. About two years ago.”

 

“But you have done so well though.”

 

“I have been composing in these two years but not a lot were released.”

 

We talked for a while before heading into the building. The walk there was scary but the room itself was even more frightening. The panel of producers were sitting in front of us with strict expressions as if they were going to kill us at once.

 

They asked about our opinions of the drama and what our plans were. The first music direction started speaking up, “The love theme as continued from before, the feeling of the love is blazing up. So at that point, the lyrics are important.” He frowned with disgust and said, “For this mission, to be honest, I am very worried.”

 

My heart started to sink and I was a little raged. How could they put us down without giving us the first chance to prove ourselves? I replied them, “I can do the string instruments and definitely get help from it…”

 

“But from what I know about idol singers,” He interrupted, “They do a lot of dance songs. So, do you have the experience for composing a slow song like one for a love theme song for OST?”

 

Another music director spoke up but now the questions were directed to So Eun instead, “Miss So Eun, have you written lyrics before?”

 

I knew she had studied it in high school but writing lyrics as a professional, not that I had known of. She knew it was demoralising but she told the truth, “No, it’s my first time writing lyrics. I have studied it before, I’m not sure if I will do it well but I will definitely work hard.”

 

As before, she was still the hardworking and humble girl I knew. I wanted to give her a reassuring smile but the director spoke again.

 

“If I were to be honest, I don’t have very high expectations. The song may come out well but it has to help the drama and not destroy it.”

 

I saw So Eun’s face turned gloomy. She was not someone who could take criticism well. She would ponder over people’s words and take it seriously.

 

“The final decision is that, if we decide the song cannot be placed in the OST, we can cut it out as well.”

 

Ouch, that was harsh.

 

So Eun’s POV

 

“Wow, it looks pretty and luxurious?” Jun Ho commented with doubt as we walked down the stairs to the room we were supposed to work in.

 

He opened the door and his expression was adorable. It was as if he was a small kid who had gotten candy from his parents. I stayed speechless as the room bore similar resemblances to his studio in high school. I remembered he used to have a small studio at the roof of his house where no one could go in. He loved music back then and I was the first person he had ever brought someone to.

 

We sat down and he started to be more comfortable with me, “Since we are working together, I think our titles are boring. We’re using formal speeches, aren’t we?”

 

Ah, he was pulling out this card after all.

 

I was technically a year older but he was a fast 90-er and I was a late 89-er. He was my junior in school as well but he tried to speak informally with me.

 

“If you can be generous with me, we can be friends. Whatever…” He started whining like a small kid. That was why I did not try to have him speak informally many years back. To me, he was a young boy who was immature. “If you’re not, that I can call you noona…” He sulked badly.

 

I smiled but still avoiding his stare. I knew my heart would beat faster if I were to do that.

 

“Do you want me to call you noona?” He said that seductively unintentionally.

 

“No… so,” I stuttered, “Since I’m cool…”

 

I spouted out and noticed I had fallen into his trap, yet again. “Then, let’s be friends.” I finished off, defeated.

 

“Cool girl.”

 

I laughed at his cold joke.

 

“Okay, anyway then. As friends, nice to meet you friend,” He held out his hand for a handshake.

 

I pondered for a moment, “Right now?”

 

“Right now?” His stare was firm.

 

I shook it and he let it go immediately. I was slightly disappointed. Why did he let go that fast?

 

More than so a noona, honestly, I liked ‘friends’ better.