Welcome Home

To Teacher, From Student, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRXCpZRE6X8

Taeyeon- Can You Hear Me?

----

Sohee tasted the stew and nodded in approval. *I got the seasoning just right.* She glanced at her watch. *Hmm. He should be here soon.* At that moment as if she had ordered him to come on will, the doorbell rang. *That should be him.* Sohee put the lid over the pot, lowered the heat on the stove, and walked to the door. She opened it, and she was correct.

It was Niel, and he didn’t greet her with smiles and flowers like he always did.

“Go wash your hands. I made dinner.” Sohee headed back to the kitchen.

Niel wondered if he should scold her at the spot or whine at her shamelessly. He voted against both choices and just quietly went to wash his hands. When he came into the kitchen, the table was already set up with warm, scrumptious food.

“Eat. You must be famished after studying…which I hope you did instead of fooling around with your friends all the time.” Sohee held out the spoon.

Niel took it with an uncertain expression.

Like nothing had happened, she began to eat. She knew he probably had a lot of questions for her though.

Niel finally scooped his rice and began to eat.

“So how was school?” Sohee asked, not meeting his eyes.

“It was the same.” Niel shrugged as casually as she was acting.

“Really? What did you do?” She asked. He put his spoon down and laced his fingers together. “You would know if you had been there.”

Sohee stopped eating. She peeked up at him to see him staring at her with intense eyes. His expression was void of emotions, so it was hard to tell if he was angry, annoyed, or both. “Why didn’t you tell me?” Niel asked. “I didn’t want you to worry like this.” Sohee said

. “Don’t you think I would’ve found out anyways? You’re my homeroom teacher. Or at least were anyways. Don’t you think I would notice that something was wrong when I didn’t see you this morning?” Niel questioned. “I made the best choice for you.” Sohee stated.

“No, you made the best choice for you.” Niel pointed out. “How so?” Sohee asked.

“You think you’re doing me a big favor by forfeiting your career for my schooling, but you’re wrong. Do you really think that’s what I want?” Niel leaned in and spoke lowly with disdain, “I don’t want you to sacrifice your happiness for mine. You didn’t even bother to ask me for my opinion. You just made your decision for me like any other adult out there. I thought I was your boyfriend and not your damn son.”

Sohee was startled by the grudge in his voice. “You are…” She whispered.

“Then you need to start treating me like one. You made me into some selfish kid. God.” Niel scooted his chair back and stormed out of the kitchen.

Sohee didn’t know he would have gotten this upset. *He’s right. He’s old enough to know what he wants. I should have discussed this with him, since it concerns him, too.* She touched her aching temple with distress. With a sigh, Sohee got up and walked out of the kitchen. The living room was empty, and her eyes enlarged. *Did he leave?!*

Sohee realized the patio screen was slightly ajar. She saw a glimpse of a black leather jacket out on her balcony, and her expression softened. Sohee sauntered towards the patio and slipped outside. The cool air refreshed her mind, and her bubbling headache subsided. Niel was gazing out at the city with dark, somber eyes. Sohee stood by his side and rested her hands on the railing. She looked up at him, but he wouldn’t meet eyes with her. “Are you mad?”

After a pause, he answered, “If I got mad at you, too, I would be a selfish, sensitive brat now.”

Sohee sighed, “Niel-“

He turned around and looked at her in exasperation. “Tell me, ssem. What do I mean to you?”

“You know what you mean to me. You’re the person I love.” Sohee whispered.

“You say that, but your actions say otherwise. You treat me as if I’m some kid who doesn’t know how to make think and make decisions.” Niel accused.

She lowered her head in shame. She couldn’t help her protective and mother-like behavior around him. He had been her student for almost a year before they realized their feelings for each other.

“Ssem,” His voice was gentler now. “If you truly think of me as your lover, you have to give me some credit. You have to learn to lean on me, too. Believe it or not, I’m pretty reliable.” She looked up at him and recognized the friendly warmth in his eyes.

Sohee smiled and nodded. “You’re right. I’ve been treating you like a child, and I shouldn’t have. You’re all grown up, and you managed to save me quite a few times. I should at least give you props for that.”

Niel laughed with fondness in his eyes. “Oh, ssem. How can I ever stay mad at you?”

“A-ha! So you were mad at me!” Sohee teasingly poked his rib.

“Not at you.” Niel drew her into his arms. “At myself for not being trustworthy enough for you.”

Sohee rested her head on his shoulder and squeezed his jacket. “You are, Niel. I was just used to treating you that way. I’ll try to change that.”

Niel smiled at her willingness to negotiate. Sohee pulled back and looked into his eyes. “But you know why I did what I did, right? I did what I thought was best for you. Since one day, your happiness took priority over mine. Seeing you happy and successful makes me feel happy and successful.”

Niel rested his forehead against hers and squeezed her arms. “You make me happy, ssem. You’re my pride and joy. You’re my greatest treasure and my highest motivation.” He closed his eyes and pressed his face closer to her. “I love you, Jung Sohee.” Niel whispered against her lips. His breath tickled her lips and she smiled. She would never get tired of hearing those words of devotion from him.

Niel slipped his arms around her waist and looked into her eyes.

Sohee wrapped her arms around his neck and beamed warmly at him.

They burst into sweet laughter and enjoyed a Eskimo kiss under the dazzling, round moon.

----

Before Niel and Sohee knew it, it was graduation. With the help of Sohee, Niel had earned decent grades for the final exams and were able to receive passing marks for all classes. The seniors of Goryo High School were nervously waiting in the back for the ceremony to begin. They heard the principal speak and grew even more anxious.

“Man, I can’t wait to get out of this stupid uniform!” Chunji hissed.

L. Joe fixed his glasses and flipped his blonde hair.

“Who got you that bowtie? Mommy dearest?” Chunji teased.

L. Joe raised an eyebrow. “Do you really want a black eye on our graduation day?”

Chunji yelped and ducked in fear.

CAP was staring straight ahead of him with a pale complexion. “I can’t believe I’m ing graduating. This has got to be a ing miracle. ….…damn…”

“Need a little soap to wash your potty mouth?” Chunji asked. CAP almost gave him a black eye himself.

While the three of them squabbled, Niel looked around. *CAP hyung is right. I can’t believe I’m graduating either. I never thought I would be able to leave this hell hole. This day is possible because of ssem.* A soft, affectionate smile played on his lips. His smile wavered in wonder and restlessness. *Did ssem come? I know she feels uncomfortable being h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter