Closer

To Teacher, From Student, With Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfrJ3osPXn8

Hyuna- To My Boyfriend

----

As planned, Niel moved into the orphanage. It was farther from Goryo High School but closer to Sohee’s apartment. With a duffel bag slung over his shoulder, he entered the grubby, crowded orphanage. It was as he had imaged: hell. Little kids wearing soiled clothes ran past him while shrieking insensible words fled past him.

“Aish.” Niel muttered and dusted ‘germs’ off his leather jacket. He examined his temporary home as he loudly chewed his bubble gum.

The place was a mess. It certainly wasn’t Sohee’s impeccably neat, warm home. Niel longed to be living with her instead. *Whatever. I can go visit her as soon as I’m done here.* He cheered up at the thought.

“You must be Ahn Daniel.” The director of the orphanage scurried over. She was a tired-looking lady with bags under her eyes. Her gray hair was tightly held up into a bun that nested on top of her head.

*I don’t have to worry about her keeping an eye out for me. Looks like she’s too tired to keep an eye out for anyone.*

“I will show you to your room. I had the boys clean up the room. I hope they kept it neatly.” The director led him up the stairs and down the long corridor. She stopped at the door at the end and knocked on it. There was a loud thump and a few whispers.

“Open up.” The director ordered. Finally, the door opened.

Six boys around Niel’s age stood by the doorway.

“I told you that you would have a new brother today, right?” The director asked.

Niel didn’t try to hide his distaste. *Brother? Yeah, right.* He rolled his eyes.

“Well, he’s here.” The director stepped to the side and urged Niel inside.

The boys stepped back and warily eyed him. They were trying to calculate if their new roommate was easy to get along with or not. Niel would make sure he made an impression that he was NOT to be messed with.

“This is Ahn Daniel.” The director put a hand on his shoulder. Niel fought himself not to be rude and shrug the old lady’s disturbingly wrinkled hand off of him. *Relax. Breathe. Be good. For ssem.* He exhaled and remained calm. “These are your new roommates: Hyukjae, Jihoon, Sukhyun, Donghyup, Shin, and Kangdae. Hyukjae, Jihoon, and Sukhyun are juniors. Donghyun, Shin, and Kangdae are sophomores. They go to Baekjae.” She informed.

*Ugh. Hate them already.* He thought.

“You’re their hyung now. While you’re under this roof, you will be our family.” The lady wearily smiled.

Niel could tell that this line had been overused. He curtly nodded and popped his bubble gum. If the director noticed his standoffish behavior, she didn’t say anything. “I hope you’ll help him warm up. I’ll call you when dinner is ready.” She headed towards the door.

Niel spun around. “I actually don’t want any dinner.”

The director blinked at him questioningly.

Niel put a hand over his flat stomach with a false sad smile. “I’m kind of feeling…nostalgic. It’s strange living in a new place.”

The director nodded in understanding. “That is a common feeling that everyone has here. Then you should just rest tonight. Please don’t disturb him, boys.” She left, and Niel’s phony smile slipped right off his face. He chewed his gum insolently and turned towards his new ‘brothers’ with a flat expression. “I’m older than all of you, so I am your hyung. As your hyung, you should obey me, right?”

The boys uncertainly glanced at each other, wondering what the new teenager was up to.

“Catch.” Niel tossed his bag. One of the sophomores quickly caught it. He looked around the room and checked out the three sets of bunk beds.

“Erm,” The oldest of the six boys, Hyukjae, cleared his throat. “Where do you want to sleep…hyung? You can have my bed if you want.”

Niel looked at him. “That won’t be necessary. I won’t need a bed, since I won’t be sleeping here.”

The boys exchanged baffled glances. “What is he talking about?” The youngest, Kangdae, whispered.

“Where can I put my stuff?” Niel asked. “Er, here.” Jihoon opened up the part of the closet he had cleaned out.

Niel stashed his bag in there and shut the door. He spun around and pointed at the boys with a menacing look. “You tell the director that I left, and I will personally make sure none of you can live in this orphanage anymore, got that? Don’t be on my bad side. It’s not worth it.” Niel walked out of the room without a backward glance, leaving his roommates standing frozen in disbelief. He jogged downstairs and many orphans rushed past him.

They were mostly younger than him. He was beginning to think he was the oldest one here.

*Another reason to leave this damn place.* Niel almost arrived on the first floor when a female blocked his path. He stepped back with a startled, “Whoa.” The girl was pretty and coy, but her eyes were cunning and brash. “Hi, you’re the new oppa, right? You are Niel, aren’t you?”

Niel gave her a queer look but nodded. “Yeah…I don’t remember telling you my name though.”

“You didn’t. I know you though.” She nodded eagerly.

*Like that’s not creepy at all.* He thought.

“You’re Niel from Goryo, aren’t you? You’re famous at my school.” She beamed, slightly creepily.

“Where do you go?” Niel asked curiously.

“Haewa. My name is Han Heemin, by the way.” She added, like it mattered.

*No wonder. All the crazy es go there.* “Nice meeting you, Heemin, but I have business to attend-“ He stepped forward, but she crossed his path. “I can give you a tour of the orphanage, if you like.” Heemin volunteered. Niel raised an eyebrow. *A tour? Seriously?*

“I can tell you how to survive in such a crazy place. Let’s be friends.” Heemin held out her hand with a big grin.

“Um, how about not? Excuse me.” Niel dodged past her.

“Wait!” Heemin ran after him and grabbed his arm.

Niel yanked away with an offended look.

“I just want to help you. Is that so bad?” Heemin pouted.

Niel stared at her. “Are you hitting on me?” He asked straightforwardly.

“That obvious?” Heemin demurely grinned. “Sorry, but I’m taken.” Niel shrugged.

Her eyes bulged out. “By who?!” She gasped. “So the rumors are true! You’re going out with Gila unnie!”

“Nope. My girl is hot. Like way hot. You can pass on the message. Niel is taken by a prune.” Niel ran off, snickering.

“Prune?” Heemin scratched her head in confusion. He jogged out of the house and glanced back. Luckily, the creepy stalker wasn’t following him. *Now it’s time to see my prune.* Keenly, he sprinted down the street.

----

Sohee tasted the bean paste soup and smiled. *Tastes good.* After a long day of grading papers and doing chores, she was famished. Sohee turned the stove off and began to set the table. The doorbell rang several times. Sohee blinked and tilted her in curiosity. *I’m not expecting anyone. Maybe it’s Yijin. She drops by to eat dinner sometimes.* She walked to the door and turned the monitor on. Sohee gasped and cupped her hands over .

Niel peered into the lens and waved a victorious ‘V’ in the air.

*Oh my…I didn’t know he would actually come! What do I do?!* Sohee panicked.

“Ssem~ Open the door. I know you’re home!” Niel sang.

*Oh gosh.* Sohee slapped a hand over her face and shook her head.

“I’ll sing out here and disturbing the neighbors until you let me in! There are three bears in a house~ Daddy bear, Mommy bear, Baby bear~ Daddy bear is fat~ Mommy bear is skinny~ Baby bear is so cute~” Niel sang rather loudly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter