EP Chapter 29

Elite Protections

a/n: I'm not satisfied with this chapter at all but I'm just gonna post it anyway. If I don't, I'll end up rewriting it over and over again and still end up with nothing. I'm speeding things up in the story so you might find certain things rushed. Hopefully you guys still enjoy it~

 

 

Chapter 29

 

 

Author’s POV

 

Soft talking woke Amber up with a start. Her eyes were closed but she could make out three different voices. Taeyeon, Hyoyeon, and... Sooyoung?

 

 

“You’re sure she didn’t do anything else?” Taeyeon whispered to the two huddled next to her.

 

 

“I’m sure,” Hyoyeon nodded. “She only spoke to her.”

 

 

“But why would they go through all this trouble and not take her? That doesn’t make any sense,” Sooyoung frowned. “Do they think this is some sort of a game?”

 

 

“That’s just it. They do think this is a game. A sick one at that.” Hyoyeon shook her head in disgust.

 

 

“But still... wouldn’t it have been beneficial for them if they had taken Krystal when given the chance? I mean, that was their original plan, wasn’t it?”

 

 

“It still is...” Taeyeon sighed in frustration.

 

 

“Well, has anyone figured out what Hyuna said to Krystal?” asked Sooyoung.

 

 

“I’ve sent Yuri to talk to her but she hasn’t been able to get anything out of her yet. It seems she only wants to speak to Amber.” Taeyeon massaged her forehead and exhaled quietly. “Honestly, I don’t have a good feeling about this.”

 

 

“Why don’t we just take Hyuna out? She obviously knows we’re aware of who she is yet she’s strutting around in front of us like we’re nothing. I hate that.”

 

 

“That’s not what we were assigned to do, Sooyoung. Leave that to the other team,” Taeyeon replied.

 

 

“But they’re clearly not doing a good job. Just look at what happened to Yoona and Amber. Are you just gonna sit around and wait for them to do something even worse to us?”

 

 

“Like I said, that’s not what we’re assigned to do. Right now, we should just wait for Amber and Yoona to wake up and tell us what happened. Acting rashly will not help anyone.”

 

 

“Acting rashly? I’m just trying to keep everyone safe. What have you been doing? Oh, wait. Nothing.”

 

 

“Sooyoung,” Hyoyeon warned sternly, “that’s enough.”

 

 

“Fine. Just sit around, I don’t care.” Sooyoung rolled her eyes and stormed out of the room.

 

 

“Sooyoung,” Hyoyeon called after the girl but Taeyeon stopped her.

 

 

“Let her be, she’s just frustrated. I get it. We all are. I don’t want to be sitting ducks just as much as the rest of you. But right now, we need to be smart. If it’s a game they want to play, we’ll play. But let’s play smart.”

 

 

“So what do you suggest?” Amber’s groggy voice grabbed Taeyeon and Hyoyeon’s attention and the two turned to look at the girl pushing herself up off the bed.

 

 

“How long have you been up?”

 

 

“For a little while now.” Amber winced when her neck stung. She reached up and lightly touched the side of her neck, brushing her fingers over the torn skin. “Man, I hope this doesn’t leave a mark...”

 

 

“It shouldn’t. I already applied some medicine on it,” answered Hyoyeon. “Consider yourself lucky though cause Yoona got it a lot worse compared to you.”

 

 

“Where is she? Is she okay?” Amber immediately forgot about her own pain as she flung the cover aside and stood up.

 

 

“Woah, relax. She’s fine,” Taeyeon quickly pushed Amber to sit back down. “Some bruises, cuts and burn marks but she’ll live. Don’t worry, Victoria and Sulli are taking good care of her.”

 

 

“How bad are her injuries?”

 

 

“Nothing serious. She got tased quite a few times and some almost in the exact same place. Unfortunately, she’s not walking out of this one without a few light scars.”

 

 

Amber sighed and massaged her forehead. “And Krystal? I heard you saying she only wants to talk to me.”

 

 

“Yes, she’s locked herself up in her room and refuses to talk to anyone except for you. Not even her sister can get her to come out,” replied Taeyeon.

 

 

“... What do you think she wants to talk about?”

 

 

“Not sure. There are a lot of possibilities. We were hoping you would have an idea.”

 

 

Amber sighed and shook her head. “I don’t, unfortunately. The last thing I saw was Hyuna approaching her. Before I passed out, I thought for sure she was going to take Krystal.”

 

 

“Considering she knows who we are, do you think she told Krystal about us? About why we’re really here?” Hyoyeon spoke up.

 

 

“Perhaps... that would be my best guess...”

 

 

The three girls in the room looked at one another, not sure how they would explain this to Krystal.

 

 

After discussing things for a little while longer, Amber eventually made her way out to the living room. She felt a bit disoriented as she walked towards the front door. So many things were going through her mind.

 

 

I should’ve been more careful... Amber slipped on her shoes and pulled open the door. She walked out into the hallway and quietly pulled the door close behind her. She then leaned her back against the wooden frame and looked up at the white ceiling above. A long sigh escaped her lips.

 

 

“How did it come to this...?” She asked no one in particular.

 

 

A soft ding down the hall made Amber tilt her head in that direction. As the elevator doors slid open, Yuri and Sulli walked out. A small smile graced Amber’s lips as she saw Yuri hook her arm around Sulli’s neck and the two laughing together.

 

 

“You guys seem to be enjoying yourselves.” Amber pushed herself off the door and straightened up. “So much for worrying about me, huh?”

 

 

Yuri and Sulli both looked up.

 

 

“Oh. Hyung!” Sulli’s smile widened upon seeing the tomboy. “You’re up!”

 

 

“Well it’s about time.” Yuri released Sulli and grinned. “Thought you were gonna nap forever.”

 

 

Amber chuckled and shook her head. “And leave you to run the show? Ha, there’s no way.”

 

 

Yuri laughed and reached forward to give Amber a quick hug. “I’m glad you’re all better. Don’t ever worry me like that again, you hear?”

 

 

“Wor—” Amber couldn’t finish what she was about to say when Sulli immediately engulfed her in a tight hug as soon as Yuri stepped back. “Oh, woah.” Amber stumbled back a step from the force.

 

 

“Easy, Sulli. Amber’s not fully recovered yet.” Yuri peeled the younger girl off and patted her shoulder.

 

 

“So? It’s not like she broke any bones.” Sulli pouted. “I just miss her, that’s all.”

 

 

Amber watched the two bicker back and forth with a smile on her face. She missed it when things were this simple. When there were no worries or obligations, just a group of friends always hanging around each other.

 

 

“Hey, I’m older than you. You should listen to what I say!” Yuri’s voice eventually drew Amber out of her thoughts.

 

 

Amber blinked and realized she had been staring at the ground blankly. Right as she was about to lift her head to break up the funny bickering, something caught her eye and her smile immediately disappeared.

 

 

Yuri and Sulli who were trying to brighten up the mood eventually noticed Amber seemingly frozen in her spot and became worried.

 

 

“Hey, you okay?” Yuri tilted her head and peered across at the quiet tomboy.

 

 

“Is something wrong, Hyung?” Sulli quipped. “Are you feeling dizzy?”

 

 

Amber, who had been holding her breath, eventually blinked and looked up, but her form was dark.

 

 

“Are you not feeling well? Do you need to lie down?” Yuri became more concerned by the second. Something was definitely wrong.

 

 

“Hyung...?”

 

 

Amber swallowed and clenched her jaws as her eyes bore into the person before hers.

 

 

There’s no way... Amber balled her hands into a tight fist to keep them from trembling. This is just a coincidence... she silently told herself.

 

 

After what seemed like forever, Amber eventually replied. “I’m...fine...” She bit the words out slowly.

 

 

“Are you sure?”

 

 

Hearing those words, Amber shifted her eyes to the wall. Even though she silently vowed to get the whole story before making any assumptions, she still couldn’t help but feel devastated. Hurt wouldn’t even begin to describe how she would feel if her speculation turns out to be true. All those years of friendship, of being like family to each other and trusting each other, gone just like that.

 

 

“Yeah...” Amber finally nodded and slowly moved around the two. “I need to go talk to Krystal now. I’ll see you guys later.”

 

 

“Wha—... Wait, Amber...” Yuri called out after the girl but Amber had disappeared down the stairwell. Yuri turned to Sulli with a confused look. “What was that all about?”

 

 

Sulli who was still staring in the direction Amber left shook her head. “I don’t know... Maybe she’s worried about Krystal?”

 

 

“Maybe...” Yuri sighed and pulled open the door to the dorm room. “Come on, let’s get those things and go back downstairs.”

 

 

“Okay.”

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

“Knock knock.” Amber pressed her ear against the door as she knocked. “It’s Amber. Can I come in?”

 

 

There was a moment of silence before a soft click could be heard.

 

 

Amber took a deep breath and turned the knob. She slowly pushed the door open and peered inside the dark room.

 

 

“Krystal...?” Amber reached for the light switch and flicked it on. She looked over to see the younger girl partially huddled underneath the covers. “Hey... heard you wanted to talk to me.” She slowly made her way over.

 

 

When no response came, Amber pulled up her desk chair next to the bed. “Um... Did you want to talk to me?”

 

 

Amber shifted in her chair uneasily after several minutes of silence. She felt depressed by the lack of response coming from Krystal. It seems even the usual angry and annoyed Krystal was gone. There goes all the progress they just recently made.

 

 

“Look, Krystal,” Amber heaved a defeated sigh, “I know you have questions for me and I’m ready to answer them, but I can’t do that if you don’t ask me.”

 

 

This made Krystal stir a little but she was still unresponsive.

 

 

“Please talk to me. I’m not your enemy.”

 

 

“Then why does it seem like you are?” Krystal’s eyes finally met Amber’s, but they were cold and distant.

 

 

Amber quietly observed the hurtful eyes masked behind the piercing gaze looking back at her. She felt guilty for being the cause of it and suddenly didn’t know what to say or what she could say to make everything okay. Her heart wanted nothing more than to be by Krystal’s side yet her mind was telling her that her sole duty was to protect Krystal until the end of the assignment. That was it.

 

 

“You said I could trust you,” Krystal continued.

 

 

“You can.”

 

 

“Can I?”

 

 

Amber hesitated for a brief second which didn’t go unnoticed by Krystal. “Yes, you can.”

 

 

A look of disappointment flashed across Krystal’s eyes. “I don’t think you understand the first thing about trust, Amber.”

 

 

“I...do.” Amber swallowed.

 

 

“No, you don’t.” Krystal’s sudden stern voice made Amber flinch in her seat. “Trust is about honesty. Honesty means that you tell the truth. These two must coexist. You can’t have one without the other. When I told you that you could trust me, I meant it.” Krystal paused then shook her head and sighed. “To think that I actually liked someone like you – someone who doesn’t know honesty and only knows how to tell lies. I don’t even know who you really are.”

 

 

It took a moment before Amber realized Krystal’s indirect confession. Her eyes immediately darted up to meet hurting ones.

 

 

“That’s right. I like you.” Krystal bravely confirmed her confession again. “Or more accurately, I liked you. Past tense... Maybe that’s why I trusted you so blindly.”

 

 

Amber stared at the girl, not knowing what to say.

 

 

“I feel stupid.” Krystal scoffed to herself when no response came. “I can’t believe this is happening right after I figure out my own feelings.” The last part was said more to herself.

 

 

“No...” Amber slowly came back to her senses. “You’re not... You didn’t do anything wrong. I... I’m... I guess I’m just an untrustworthy person.”

 

 

“No,” Krystal shook her head, “It’s my fault for believing in every word you said. I should never have trusted someone who lies.”

 

 

Another jab.

 

 

Amber clenched her hands tighter together. “I admit, I did lie to you on more than one occasion because I had to. However, my feelings and actions towards you were genuine. They weren’t lies.”

 

 

“And how am I supposed to believe you’re telling the truth right now? You could just be making up another lie for all I know.”

 

 

Hearing that, Amber sighed in defeat. As much as she wanted to prove to Krystal her feelings, now wasn’t the time for that. She wasn’t sent here for that.

 

 

“Look, I don’t know what Hyuna told you, but—”

 

 

“She told me enough to know you’re not who you say you are.”

 

 

“Krystal, you can’t trust Hyuna. She’s dangerous,” Amber tried to reason.

 

 

“Well, at the moment, I trust her more than I trust you.”

 

 

Amber ignored the hurtful remark and the slight pain in her chest. “Look, I’m sorry that I lied to you about who I am but you have to stay away from Hyuna. She will hurt you.”

 

 

When Krystal didn’t react to the warning even the slightest, Amber sighed and stood up. She felt frustrated and lost. “Are you going to give me the silent treatment again?” she asked. “Just because I wasn’t completely honest about who I really am?”

 

 

Krystal looked away.

 

 

“Other than my reason for being here, I’ve been honest about everything else. What do you want me to do? Turn back time? Get on my knees and apologize? I’m trying here so at least meet me halfway. What do you want me to do?” Amber repeated, her voice growing louder. “Do you want to know the reason why I’m here? Cause if you do, I can tell you. Just ask. Don’t treat me as if I’m the bad guy because I’m not. The one you should be wary of is Hyuna. She’s dangerous and –”

 

 

Krystal stood up abruptly, causing Amber to stumble back a few steps to avoid colliding with the girl. “I don’t need to listen to this.” Krystal started heading for the door.

 

 

“Krystal,” Amber called out, trying to stop the girl. She was at her wits end. “If you ever saw me as a friend even just once since I’ve been here, please just... just know that I would never intentionally hurt the person I like. You mean a lot to me and I’m truly sorry for hurting and upsetting you. If you don’t ever want to speak to me again, that’s fine. I’ll ask Yoona to switch rooms with me. Just... please be careful and take care of yourself, okay?” She didn’t know what else to say. The only thing she can do now is to watch over Krystal from the shadows.

 

 

The last attempt from Amber made Krystal stop at the door for a few seconds before she stepped out and closed the door behind her.

 

 

Taeyeon, Hyoyeon and Yuri who had just entered the dorm stopped near the kitchen as they watched Krystal walk past them and into the other dorm. They waited to see if Amber followed after her but the tomboy never appeared.

 

 

“I’ll go watch over them.” Yuri volunteered and soon disappeared into the dorm she and Jessica shared.

 

 

A few minutes later, Amber finally emerged from the room.

 

 

“You okay?” Taeyeon carefully asked, knowing the two would probably settle their feelings first before anything else.

 

 

Amber nodded.

 

 

“Did you tell her?”

 

 

“No, she didn’t ask.”

 

 

“And Hyuna? Anything about what she said?”

 

 

Amber shook her head. “No. But she did say something to Krystal about me – or us – so Krystal knows that we’re not just ordinary students attending school here. How much more she’s aware of, I can’t say.”

 

 

“Okay.” Taeyeon nodded with a sigh. She was hoping it didn’t have to come to this.

 

 

“What’re you going to do?” asks Amber.

 

 

“Well, I spoke with the President earlier and although he’s not pleased with the situation we’re in, he has given me permission to do what I think is best for the girls.” A pause. “Since their safety is our number one priority, I think it’s time we tell them who we are and why we’re really here. If we’re going to get those people who hurt you guys, we’re going to do this the right way. No more hiding or lying. I’m through with that. It’s time we take matters into our own hands.”

 

 

Amber nodded, silently agreeing with Taeyeon. She was tired of waiting around to be picked off one by one. She wouldn’t know what to do if her friends, or worse, Krystal, got hurt because none of them were taking action. If there’s one thing she can do for Krystal, it would be to watch over her safety even if she felt weak at the moment and just wanted to crawl under the covers. Her heart still stung every time she remembers Krystal’s words.

 

 

“Hey.” Taeyeon notices Amber’s downcast look and walks over to comfort the girl. “Don’t worry. She’ll come around.  Give her a little time. You guys like each other too much for something like this to break up your relationship.” Taeyeon jokes, trying to lighten up the mood. Deep down, however, she herself was also dreading how Tiffany would react to the news.

 

 

Amber smiles a little as Taeyeon ruffles her hair.

 

 

“Don’t think too much about it, alright?” Taeyeon smiles and starts walking backwards towards the front door. “I’m gonna go gather everyone in Yuri and Jessica’s dorm. Meet me over there in a few minutes, okay?”

 

 

“Okay.” Amber nods and Taeyeon soon leaves the dorm.

 

 

“Hey, you’re going to be fine. We’ll get through this.” Hyoyeon gives Amber an encouraging pat on the back. “I’m heading back now but if you need anything from me, just let me know, got it?”

 

 

Amber sighed hesitantly. She didn’t want to have to do this but... “Actually, there is something...”

 

 

“Of course. Anything.”

 

 

“Please keep what I’m about to ask you to do between us until I figure out what’s going on.”

 

 

“Sure.” Hyoyeon noticed the serious expression and knew she probably wouldn’t like what she’s about to hear. She quietly waited for Amber to continue.

 

 

Amber swallowed and took a deep breath. It was taking whatever strength she had left in her to ask Hyoyeon for this request. Never in her wildest imagination would she have predicted for things to go like this. And now she has to go behind everyone’s back to search for the truth. It’s crazy how things turn out.

 

 

After gathering her thoughts, Amber finally met the other girl’s eyes.

 

 

“I need you to get me everything you can on Sulli.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----

End of Chapter 29.