EP Chapter 21

Elite Protections

 

A/N: Sorry for the delay. It's a 3-day weekend so got dragged to the bar. I'm a bit sober now to update though the headache is a bit bad. Please excuse any grammar mistakes.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 21

 

 

Taeyeon’s POV

 

“It really is beautiful…” Tiffany let out a content sigh as she observed the city below.

 

I smiled, watching the girl marvel at the sight.

 

Yeah, you are.

 

“I wish my family could be here to experience it with me.” Tiffany stopped at one of the telescopes, her fingers absentmindedly running along it.

 

My smile slowly faded.

 

Just by appearance and personality, it would be hard for anyone to guess that any of these girls had suffered a great loss in the past. Their bright, enthusiastic, and care-free personality doesn’t give off the feeling of having lost family members and siblings. To be so likeable and charismatic on the outside yet have such a deep hidden wound on the inside must be hard.

 

These girls, no matter how strong a front they put up, they all lost their parents about 5 years ago, give or take. Some girls more than just their parents, they lost their whole family.

 

On the news and what the girls were led to believe, it was a tragic car accident on one unfortunate day. A drunk driver lost control of his vehicle and brutally crashed into their parents’ car. However, the truth is, the accident wasn’t as innocent as it seemed. Their parents were targeted. They were murdered.

 

Tiffany’s case was a bit different. She lost not only her parents but her two older siblings as well in the span of two weeks. The girl didn’t even have time to recover from her parents’ death before she was notified of her brother and sister’s accident. Unlike Jessica and Krystal who still have each other, Tiffany was left with no one.

 

“…You can bring them here the next time you visit Paris.” I tried to sound encouraging even though I knew that wasn’t possible.

 

Tiffany smile sadly and shook her head. “No, I can’t…”

 

I looked away from the girl, feeling guilty for making her remember her painful memories. “…Why not?”

 

Tiffany looked up towards the dark horizon, her eyes distant. “They passed away when I was 17.”

 

“Oh…I’m sorry to hear that.” I reached out and gently patted the girl’s hand on the telescope.

 

I truly am.

 

“Don’t be…” Tiffany turned and smiled at me, placing her other hand on top of mine. “At least I spent 17 wonderful years with them…I’m always grateful for that…”

 

Hearing those words, I couldn’t help but admire the girl even more.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Amber’s POV

 

Krystal looked over at me. “Amber, there’s something I want to tell you…”

 

“What…what is it?” I asked, a bit startled by the sudden serious atmosphere.

 

Krystal took a deep breath, fidgeting with her fingers. “I have been confused for a while now…but I think I finally figured it out…”

 

I kept quiet, waiting for the girl to continue.

 

“This is the first time I have ever felt this way…” Krystal took a step towards me.

 

I tensed at the close proximity, feeling more and more nervous by the second.

 

“Amber,” Krystal hesitantly called out, as if still contemplating on whether she should say what she’s about to say.

 

I swallowed anxiously. “Y-yeah?”

 

“Amber, I think I li—”

 

“Hey guys!” Yoona and Seohyun came up behind me, startling both Krystal and I.

 

“It’s time to—Oh?” Yoona stopped when she caught on to the weird atmosphere. “Sorry, did I interrupt something?” the latter released her hand on my shoulder and looked back and forth between Krystal and me.

 

Krystal blushed and quickly took a step back, looking down at her hands.

 

Yoona noticed and her curious expression turned into a playfully grin. “I think I did,” said the girl as she wiggled her eyebrows at me in a teasing manner.

 

“Yah.” I glared at the latter.

 

“Hyunnie, why don’t we give these two shy kids a few more minutes of alone time?” Yoona blew an air kiss at me and winked before pulling Seohyun away.

 

I held back the urge to run over, pick Yoona up and throw her over the side of the Eiffel Tower. Her constant teasing always leaves me in an awkward and embarrassed state of mind.

 

“Um…” I scratched my head as I turned back to face Krystal, not sure what I should say or where to start.

 

A few minutes of silence settled between us before Krystal finally cleared and looked up at me.

 

“We better get going. Don’t want to keep the others waiting,” said the girl as she started to walk away.

 

“Wait,” I called out. “Didn’t you have something you wanted to tell me?”

 

There was a slight pause before Krystal shook her head. “Maybe next time.” She then walked away towards the door to go back inside.

 

For some reason, I felt disappointed.

 

What was it that she was confused about but figured out?

 

What did she mean it was the first time she’s ever felt this way…? About what?

 

Sadly, I could do nothing but follow after the girl. I guess I’ll just have to wait until the next time she decides to tell me again.

 

 

--- --- ---

 

 

“Man, I’m beat.” Sunny leaned back in her chair and gulped down her alcohol, hoping it would be enough to soothe her aching feet from all the walking.

 

“Me too, I think this is the most I’ve ever walked in my entire life,” a slumped over Jessica commented.

 

After getting back to the hotel, some of the girls wanted to go clubbing since the night was still young. They’ve never partied in Paris before so they wanted to experience what it was like at least once before they leave. Drinking and partying at a club wasn’t exactly the safest place to be and as much as we all wanted the girls to have fun, none of us wanted to jeopardize their lives.

 

Luckily after much persuading from Taeyeon and Yuri with some help from a tired Jessica, everyone agreed to just get a few drinks at the hotel bar and call it a night.

 

The bar wasn’t terribly big but we managed to get two tables put together near the back, almost secluding ourselves away from everyone else.

 

“Incredible.” Taeyeon shook her head at Sooyoung. “Even after knowing you all these years, I’m still amazed at your nonstop eating. Your stomach really is a giant black hole.”

 

Everyone at the table laughed except for Sooyoung.

 

“Shut up midget. I’m eating just in case I get hungry later, you got a problem? You’re just jealous I have superior genes and you don’t.”

 

“Ha, me, jealous of you?” Taeyeon laughed, pointing at herself.  “I think all this eating has made you delusional, Shikskin.”

 

“No, not delusional but tall. Maybe if you ate like me, you would grow a few more centimeters.”

 

For a brief second, Taeyeon contemplated Sooyoung’s words, thinking it really would help her grow a few centimeters taller if she started to eat like the latter. However, Taeyeon quickly caught on to Sooyoung’s intended implications of gaining a few centimeters width-wise rather than height-wise.

 

Taeyeon crossed her arms. “I’m not falling for that.”

 

Sooyoung smirked. “But you almost did. It seems your height isn’t the only thing that stopped developing at a young age.”

 

Taeyeon gasped at the insult. “Yah, you – you nosy vacuum cleaner, come over here!”

 

Sooyoung popped another fry into . “Why?”

 

“Just come here!” Taeyeon pointed at the ground next to her.

 

Sooyoung shook her head. “No, you’re gonna hit me.”

 

The two continued to bicker back and forth as everyone watched.

 

“Put these two together and you get your daily dose of drama,” said Yuri as she took a sip of her drink.

 

“Are they always like this?” Krystal asked next to me.

 

I nodded. “Most of the time. There are miracle days when they become the best of friends.”

 

Sunny who had been secretly snatching some of Sooyoung’s fries as the latter was busy arguing with Taeyeon turned to look at me. “Really? Those two?”

 

“Yep. Hard to believe right?” I laughed.

 

“Yeah, very.” Sunny went back to munching on the fries.

 

Not long after Yoona who had accompanied Seohyun to the restroom came back with the younger girl and both took their seats, Krystal got up from her seat.

 

“Where are you going?” I asked looking up at the girl standing next to me.

 

“Bathroom. I’ll be right back.”

 

I pushed my chair back and quickly got up. “I’ll go with you.”

 

“Me too.” Yoona also got up from her seat.

 

Seohyun who was sitting next to Yoona furrowed her brows at the girl. “But you just went with me not five minutes ago, Unnie.”

 

Yoona scratched her head. “Uh…small bladder?”

 

“But you didn’t drink anything since we got back,” replied Seohyun.

 

“Uh…I need to wash my hands?”

 

“But you didn’t eat anything.” Luna pointed out.

 

Yoona pursed her lips, running out of excuses.

 

I laughed and shook my head at Yoona, mouthing to her that it was fine. We were in the hotel and it wouldn’t take that long. We’ve got Hyoyeon and a few other people scattered around here as well so I’m not overly worried if it’s just a few minutes by ourselves.

 

Yoona reluctantly sat back down and pouted.

 

“Mind if I tag along? I need to use the restroom too.” Victoria got up, hoping to ease Yoona’s worries.

 

I nodded. “Of course.”

 

Leaving Luna in Sulli’s care, Victoria, Krystal and I made our way to the ladies’ room.

 

When the three of us got there, we were the only ones inside.

 

After Krystal went into an empty stall, I quietly checked the other stalls to make sure people wouldn’t be popping out from nowhere. Just for precautionary measures.

 

As Victoria and I were lingering by the sinks waiting for Krystal, the bathroom door opened. We both looked over to see a cleaning lady come in. She was slightly hunched over, wore a bandana on top of her head and had an apron over her blue outfit.

 

After getting her cleaning cart into the bathroom, she looked up briefly just long enough for me to catch a glimpse of her fair skin and youthful complexion before looking back down and pushing her cart toward us.

 

I furrowed my brows as my eyes followed her. Something about this person seemed off to me.

 

As she pushed her cart pass us, my attention fell to what looked like a pair of matching expensive diamond bracelet and ring on her left hand. They did not seem appropriate to be worn in this situation.

 

I uncrossed my arms and straightened up as the lady made her way to the last stall.

 

After grabbing some bottles off the cart, she disappeared inside the stall.

 

Just as I was about to walk over and keep an eye on her, a flush sounded from Krystal’s stall and a few seconds later, the girl came out.

 

“Oh? You guys are done? That’s fast.” Krystal made her way over to the sink to wash her hands.

 

After she was done, the three of us left the bathroom.

 

 

--- --- ---

 

 

“Hiccup….”

 

“Hiccup…”

 

“Aish, and she said she never gets drunk,” Sooyoung grumbled under her breath as she piggybacked a drunken Sunny down the hallway back to their room.

 

“Hiccup…”

 

“Yah, why’d you drink so much? I told you to lay off the alcohol didn’t I?” Sooyoung turned her head to the side to ask the girl on her back.

 

All the latter got back was a giggle from Sunny.

 

“Man, now I’m gonna be hungry before I sleep,” Sooyoung sighed to herself.

 

“Huff…When…huff…are you…huff…ever not?” Taeyeon commented behind the taller girl.

 

Sooyoung stopped and turned around. She tilted her head down and had to laugh at what she saw.

 

“Shut up, Shikskin,” Taeyeon called out underneath a passed out Tiffany on her back.

 

“The two girls who claim they are the best drinkers among everyone are the only two passed out. Ironic, isn’t it?” asked Sooyoung as she bent down a little to be able to see Taeyeon’s face. “Why didn’t you just ask Yuri for help?”

 

“I don’t need her help. I got this,” replied Taeyeon.

 

Yuri, Jessica, Victoria, Sulli and Luna had already gone ahead back to their respective rooms.

 

“You don’t look like you do,” said Sooyoung.

 

“Taeyeon unnie, I can help you.” Yoona stepped up next to the energy depleted shorter girl.

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “I got this,” she repeated.

 

“I think you should let Yoona help. By the time you make it back to the room with her, you’re going to end up a few centimeters shorter than you already are,” Sooyoung chuckled as she adjusted Sunny on her back.

 

“I won’t.” Taeyeon started walking again.

 

An amused Sooyoung walked alongside the heavily breathing girl. “You’ve got two perfectly healthy young kids behind you who are more than willing to help you carry Tiffany back and yet you refuse? Why is that?”

 

Taeyeon ignored the girl.

 

“Ah,” Sooyoung nodded her head. “Is it because you don’t want anyone else touching her?” teased the taller girl.

 

Luckily Tiffany’s hair had fallen over Taeyeon’s face or else Sooyoung would’ve seen the older girl blushing.

 

Taeyeon picked up her pace and soon, we were all back in our own rooms.

 

Tonight was my turn to stay up so after bidding the girls goodnight, I pulled out my laptop. There was something I wanted to check and clear up.

 

 

M: Hey, are there any security cameras outside the south side bathroom area of the hotel lobby?

 

 

A few minutes passed before a reply came.

 

 

H: No, not that I know of.

 

 

M: What about neighboring areas? Along the corridor?

 

 

H: There is one in that small lounge area right by the bathroom and there’s one before you turn the corner.

 

 

M: Can you pull the video footage from those cameras and send them to me?

 

 

H: I can but may I ask why? Did something happen?

 

 

M: No, just want to check something.

 

 

H: Alright, I’ll get right on it.

 

 

M: Thanks Hyo.

 

 

H: No problem. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----

End of Chapter 21.

Need some hangover soup.

Gonna go back to bed...