EP Chapter 20

Elite Protections

 

A/N: Since a lot of you wanted le romance in Paris, I rewrote chapter 20. I'll push the action that was originally intended for this chapter until later. The beginning part still has a tiny bit since it was a kinda hard to transition from the previous chapter to non-actiony stuff. For now, let's get some pairings going yo! lol ok, please ignore meh...

 

 

Chapter 20

 

 

Amber’s POV

 

“Oomph!” A low grunt sounded behind us causing Yoona and I to turn around and look.

 

The guy in leather jacket was now nowhere to be seen.

 

I stopped pulling Krystal to scan the area around us.

 

Where did that guy go?

 

Yoona was just as puzzled as I was as she spoke into the phone. “Um…actually, give me a sec.”

 

“Yah!” Krystal yelled angrily beside me as she tried to free her arm from my grasp. “Why’d you pull me out of the store like that?”

 

Ignoring her, I watched Yoona backtrack her steps to check on what happened to that guy following us, disappearing into an alleyway.

 

 

 

 

 

Yoona’s POV

 

After turning the corner, I saw the girl in the dark hoodie from across the street earlier dragging something behind the dumpster.

 

“Hey, let me get back to you,” I muttered into the phone before pocketing it.

 

Furrowing my brows, I made my way further down the alleyway. For some reason, I felt like the stature of the girl in hoodie somehow resembled someone I know, but whom?

 

I knew I shouldn’t leave Amber and Krystal alone, but my curiosity got the best of me.

 

Glancing around, I reached out and grabbed a crooked metal bar lying underneath a cardboard box by the wall.

 

“Ugh. Man. Why are you so heavy?” A low grumble came from behind the dumpster as I came closer.

 

I tilted my head in thought.

 

That voice sounded familiar.

 

Is she perhaps one of our people?

 

But neither Amber nor I could recognize her…

 

I shook my head and made my way around the side of the dumpster quietly, slowly raising the bar in my hand.

 

Right as I raised the bar above my head, the hoodie figure stepped out from behind the dumpster.

 

“Oh, woah there!” The girl raised her hands up to protect her head. “Don’t hit me! I come in peace!”

 

“Omo!” I lowered the bar in my hand when I got a closer look at the person in front of me. “Hyoyeon unnie?”

 

The girl lowered her hands and smiled at me. “Hey Yoong. What’s up? How’s the wound? No scars I hope.”

 

“Unnie!” I exclaimed and jumped to hug the girl in front of me. “What are you doing here?”

 

“Glad to know you missed me. I was doubtful for a moment there when you were about to hit me. I mean seriously, what’s with the metal bar? Does my head look like it’s made for bashing?”

 

I laughed and threw the bar aside. “Sorry. I didn’t recognize you. We thought you were after us.”

 

“We? Amber couldn’t recognize me either?”

 

I shook my head.

 

“Well, so much for being appreciated, my dongsaengs can’t even recognize me.” A dramatic sigh.

 

I laughed. “It’s not our fault. Just look at your disguise unnie. You look ugly!”

 

“Hey, no insulting the clothes or my face please. I worked hard on this outfit and the makeup.”

 

“By the way, what did you do with that guy from the store?” I asked leaning forwards to take a peek behind the dumpster and had to laugh when I saw the man tied up with red lipstick doodles all over his face. “Did you draw on his face?”

 

“Found a red lipstick lying on the ground while I was dragging him. It’s his fault for being so heavy.”

 

“Are we going to leave him here?”

 

“No, I already informed someone to come get this guy. Don’t worry, they should be here soon.”

 

I nodded. “So what you’re doing here in Paris unnie. Are you stalking us?”

 

“Of course not. Stalking is when two people go for a walk but only one of them knows about it. As you can see, you are aware of my presence so I am not stalking.”

 

I laughed. “Yes you were unnie.”

 

“No I wasn’t. I was just making sure you guys were okay. Not stalking. There’s a difference.”

 

“Sure, whatever you say unnie, but I thought you never liked field work.”

 

“It’s not that I don’t like it, it’s just because I’m too good for it so they keep me locked up in the office.”

 

I shook my head and laughed. “I missed your humor unnie. Anyways, I better get back or Amber’s going to get worried. I’m not supposed to leave Krystal’s side either.”

 

“Of course of course. I actually have to check up on Taeng and Yul’s group now.”

 

“Oh, so you’re not stalking us anymore?”

 

“Ha, nope. New target. Tell Amber I said hi.”

 

“Alright, will do. See ya later unnie.”

 

With that, I made quickly made my way out of the alleyway and back onto the street.

 

 

 

 

 

Amber’s POV

 

As I was waiting for Yoona to come back, Krystal was growing more and more impatient next to me. She kept demanding I tell her why I pulled her out of the store like that.

 

I couldn’t come up with a good excuse so I ended up pulling out the necklace Taeyeon gave me on the plane and offered it to the younger girl.

 

Krystal stopped mid-sentence and gave me a confused look.

 

“Here,” I said gesturing the necklace forward. “This is for you.”

 

Krystal looked at me in surprise. “W-what?”

 

“This is the reason why I pulled you out of the store like that. It’s because I wanted to give you this,” I lied.

 

Krystal stared at the necklace in my hand.

 

I found her surprised and slightly blushing face quite cute.

 

“Y-you’re giving me this?” she asked.

 

“Yep.” I nodded.

 

“W-why?”

 

"Ah, um, well I....um...." I trailed off when I couldn't come up with a good excuse. To be honest, I wasn't really prepared for that simple question. I was too focused on just getting the younger to calm down and stop asking me so many questions.

 

Krystal waited for my reply and I could feel my face growing hotter by the second.

 

“It's because she likes you.” A voice interrupted and I almost dropped the necklace I was holding in shock.

 

Krystal’s face turned bright red and mine wasn’t any better.

 

“W-what? No! I—This is—It’s a gift!” I tried to say but Yoona’s laughter drowned my voice out.

 

If we weren't standing outside on the sidewalk with so many witnesses around, I would've strangled the laughing girl for saying such a thing.

 

"Hey, I only meant it in a friendship context. I don't know what you guys thought I meant." Yoona's playful tone made me glare at her threateningly.

 

Yoona shot me a wink before turning around. "Come on tomato-heads, let's go back and get Sulli and Luna."

 

Oh you're so dead later Yoong...

 

I embarrassingly forced the necklace into Krystal's hand before pulling her back towards the store. As much as I didn’t want to grab her arm, I didn’t have a choice. I couldn’t just leave her standing there by herself nor was I going to just stand there next to her in awkward silence. Plus, I was still worried about Sulli and Luna since we kind of left them back there without a word.

 

Seeing as how Yoona wasn’t as alert as before, I knew something must’ve happened back in the alleyway and to that guy in leather jacket, otherwise, we would still be heading in the opposite direction.

 

After going back to the store, we found Sulli and Luna in one of the fitting rooms at the back of the store and the woman from earlier unconscious in another fitting room, completely passed out. Yoona called one of our people to come get the lady while Krystal and Luna continued shopping around the store clueless to what actually happened.

 

Apparently after Yoona, Krystal and I left the store, Sulli yanked some clothes off the hangers and pulled Luna towards the fitting rooms in the back, forcefully pushing her inside with the clothes she grabbed and telling her to try them on before slamming the door shut. She then reached into her purse and pulled out the emergency sedative syringe Taeyeon had given her on the plane as a precautionary measure if she was in a situation that called for it and injected the woman right as she appeared at the entranceway to the fitting rooms. The sedative syringe contained enough anesthetic to knock the woman unconscious where then Sulli dragged her to the furthest fitting room at the end of the hallway, placed her gently on the ground, closed the door and went back to Luna before the girl came out questioning her.

 

 

--- --- ---

 

 

“Wow, I’m impressed.” Sooyoung rolled over, throwing the pillow in her hand up in the air and catching it as it fell back down.

 

“That’s my girl,” said Victoria as she tightened her arms around the girl sitting on her lap. Sulli giggled and leaned back into Victoria’s hug.

 

After roaming around the city a bit, everyone had regrouped back at hotel at the specified time to go to dinner together. Nothing out of the ordinary happened during dinner and when we were all done eating, we headed back to our hotel rooms for the night.

 

Currently, Sooyoung, Victoria, Sulli, Yoona and I were crowded in one corner of my room quietly talking about what happened today and praising Sulli while Krystal was in the bathroom taking a shower. Everyone else was gathered in Yoona’s room next door. The door connecting the two rooms together was wide open and we could hear everyone in Yoona’s room chatting and laughing away happily.

 

When it got late, everyone finally retreated back to their respective rooms.

 

“Goodnight Amber, goodnight Soojung.” Seohyun stuck her head into our room.

 

Not a second later, Yoona’s head appeared underneath Seohyun’s. “Goodnight you two~” Yoona winked and laughed to herself as she and Seohyun’s head disappeared from sight.

 

Krystal and I, who were sitting on our own beds after everyone had left till now, turned to look at each other. As soon as our eyes met, we both looked away blushing.

 

Ever since I gave her that necklace, the two of us have been awkward and cautious around each other. I would find her sneaking peeks at me from time to time and every time I catch her, I would get this weird feeling within the pit of my stomach and it strangely excited me.

 

Scratching the back of my neck shyly, I scooted off the bed to turn off the lights.

 

As I walked by Krystal's bed, I caught a glimpse of the necklace I had given her earlier today sitting nicely around her neck, partially covered by her hair.

 

Even though the sole purpose of the necklace was to secretly track the girl's whereabouts, I couldn't help but be warmed by the thought that she liked it enough to wear it, even when sleeping. But of course I kept this to myself.

 

"Goodnight," Krystal said as she crawled under the covers.

 

"Night," I replied as I made my way back towards my bed.

 

As I passed by the connecting door, I saw Yoona sitting on her bed with her back leaning against the headboard.  When she saw me, she winked and blew a kiss at me before going back to the book in her hand.

 

I held back the urge to pick up my slippers and toss them at the girl’s face.

 

 

--- --- ---

 

 

“Did you guys have a good sleep?” asked Taeyeon as she sat down next to Tiffany on one of the many couches in the hotel lobby.

 

“Slept like a baby,” replied Yoona even though she didn’t sleep a wink since it was her turn to stay up for the night while I slept.

 

Jessica yawned next to Yoona. “Not me, I want to go back to sleep.”

 

“Ugh, me too,” agreed Sooyoung. “I need some caffeine pronto.”

 

Sooyoung then turned to Yoona. “Yah, go get me some coffee.”

 

“What? Why should I? I’m not your slave, unnie.” Yoona complained and refused to get up.

 

“Actually Sooyoung unnie, apples are more efficient at waking you up in the morning and not caffeine.” Seohyun spoke up next to Yoona.  

 

“Uh-oh,” mumbled Tiffany and Sunny.

 

Taeyeon, Yoona and I glanced at the two curiously.

 

“Why is that Seohyun?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“Well, apples have natural, pure sugar in them so when you eat them in the morning, it gives you a natural high to wake up. Scientifically, it has a better overall effect, but because of tradition and force of habit, it doesn’t necessarily work on everyone; only on some people. However, I think it would be more beneficial for you in the long run, unnie, if you switched to eating apples every morning to wake you up. They’re more natural and healthier than drinking coffee or eating junk food. Eating too much junk food can cause a lot of health problems especially if you don’t exercise often. When you eat junk food, even though you don’t necessarily grow fat, your body grows a lot of fat and your blood will have lots of fat. This will cause blood vessel blockage and heart attacks leading to an early death.”

 

 

    

 

“............Yoona-ya, go get me an apple.”

 

 

"...Get me one too please..."

 

 

"Me three..."

 

 

--- --- ---

 

 

“Oh wow, will you look at this. The Eiffel Tower. This is so beautiful.” Sunny pressed her face against the window pane next to her as she peered out at the glittering panorama of Paris spread below her.

 

After spending the whole day out eating delicious patisseries and poking about bookstores, gourmet shops and odd markets here and there, we decided to spend the night dining high in the Eiffel tower in an unspeakably romantic atmosphere, eating delicious food, and forgetting the rather unpleasant smells of the city below. With candle lights spread across the table and some tasty French wine, the night couldn’t be any more perfect.

 

“I wonder when the Eiffel Tower was built,” muttered Sooyoung as she leaned over Sunny’s head to peer out the window from her seat.

 

“1889,” answered Seohyun on the other side of the girl. “When it was built, it was the tallest structure in the world.”

 

Taeyeon chuckled and shook her head, amazed at the stuff Seohyun seemingly just knows. “How do you know all these things? It’s simply astounding.”

 

Seohyun blushed and held up the Eiffel Tower brochure in her hand earning a deep laugh from Taeyeon.

 

Yoona proudly patted the younger girl’s head next to her which made the girl blush even harder.

 

After an enjoyable dinner, all of us made our way out onto the observation deck of the Eiffel Tower, separating into groups of two and four as we walked around to take in the great scenery.

 

“Woooohoooo!” Sooyoung threw her hands up and inhaled the night air.

 

Sunny giggled next to the girl and pushed her out of the way. “Yah, you’re blocking the view.”

 

“Ha, I am the view!” replied Sooyoung as she grabbed Sunny’s hand in excitement and started jumping up and down which earned her glares and scolds from people around her.

 

After Sunny managed to calm the girl down, Sooyoung started to sing. The large amount of wine she drank during dinner was definitely taking effect and loosening the girl up.

 

“Yah, shh,” shushed Sunny but the taller girl wouldn’t listen.

 

Only about ten minutes of singing by herself did Sooyoung abruptly stop and turn to Sunny. “No no, this won’t do,” said the girl.

 

Sunny tilted her head. “What won’t do?”

 

“This.” Sooyoung answered, pointing back and forth between herself and Sunny.

 

Sunny scrunched her brows in confusion. “This? This what? What are you talking about?”

 

“Singing.”

 

“Singing?”

 

Sooyoung nodded.

 

“What about singing?” asked Sunny, still unclear what Sooyoung was getting at.

 

Sooyoung placed an arm around Sunny and bent down so she was head to head with the latter. “If you won’t sing with me when I sing, then we can’t be together,” explained the girl.

 

Sunny blushed. “T-together?”

 

Sooyoung nodded. “Yeah, we can’t be friends if you won’t sing with me.”

 

“O-oh, friends.” Sunny blushed even harder at her own misunderstanding for thinking Sooyoung meant something else.

 

Taeyeon who was strolling around the observation deck with Tiffany stopped behind Sooyoung and slapped the latter on the back of the head. “Yah, I can hear you all the way on the other side. Lower your voice, please.” Taeyeon then pulled Tiffany away before Sooyoung retaliated.

 

Along the way, Taeyeon and Tiffany passed Luna, Victoria and Sulli playing around with the telescopes and taking a bunch of pictures and a rather serious looking Yuri and Jessica. The two then passed Yoona, Seohyun, Krystal and I before disappearing around the corner.

 

“Wow, this is so amazing,” Seohyun clasped her hands together and marveled at the city night lights below her.

 

“You’re so amazing.” Yoona boldly hugged the girl from behind, almost trying to replicate that famous romantic Titanic scene where Jack and Rose pretended to fly after climbing the bow of the ship.

 

“Ah, unnie,” Seohyun blushed and tried to free Yoona’s hand around her waist but to no avail.

 

Krystal and I who were originally standing next to the two quietly moved to another part of the tower to give them some alone time. We had gotten a clear from Hyoyeon earlier that the observation deck was okay to roam freely so I wasn’t too worried anything big would happen. Plus, it’s rare for Yoona to get to spend some time with Seohyun so the girl deserves any chance she gets.

 

“You know, it’s always been a dream of mine to come to Paris and visit the Eiffel Tower at least once,” Krystal said as she stopped by one of the metal telescopes.

 

“Oh really?” I stopped next to the girl and quietly observed her under the night sky.

 

Krystal nodded. “Yeah. I was actually worried that since it’s been a dream of mine for so long that when I actually do visit it, it wouldn’t be as great as I had imagined it to be and I would be disappointed.”

 

“Are you? Disappointed I mean.”

 

Krystal placed her hand on the railing, letting the gentle wind caress her face. “No, I’m not disappointed at all. Being up here and looking down at the scenery is simply beautiful, magnificent even.”

 

I watched Krystal’s hair swaying in rhythm with the small gust of wind. “Yeah, definitely beautiful.”

 

“Have you ever been up here before?” asked Krystal.

 

“No, this is my first time,” I replied, my eyes still on the girl.

 

Krystal nodded as she continued to stare out the tower. “The romantic atmosphere really gets to you, you know?”

 

“Mhm,” I hummed in agreement.

 

“I think this is a sight every person must experience at least once in their life,” said Krystal as she started fiddling with the necklace around her neck. “Especially with someone they like or love.”

 

“Definitely.”

 

A moment of silence settled in between us and right as I was about to turn to enjoy the scenery myself, Krystal suddenly turned to look at me.

 

The mysterious look in her eyes made my heart beat faster.

 

“Amber, there’s something I want to tell you…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-----

End of Chapter 20!

So how's le tiny romance? Kryber anyone? Lol. Any guesses as to what Krys wants to say?

 

My aim is to update SMB and EP weekly and if I'm feeling particularly happy or free, then maybe two times a week. There will be an update sometime Sat or Sun est so hope you look forward to that.