EP Chapter 17

Elite Protections

 

Chapter 17


Amber’s POV

“So uh…what do you need help with…?”

Krystal pouted, “…everything…”

I chuckled and brought her book in front of me. “…let’s see here…you’re working on math?”

Krystal nodded.

I flipped through the pages and read through the problems.

“…so…? Do you know how to do them?” Krystal asked.

I looked up and smiled at her. “Of course. Math is my strongest subject.”

“…hmm, well, math is my worst subject…”

“I know.” I laughed.

Krystal looked up at me, “You know? What do you mean you know? This is the first time I’m telling you this.”

Oops…

Can’t really tell her it’s because I read her profile.

“Uhh…well, didn’t you just say you needed help on everything…? I assumed if you needed help on everything, then math must not be a subject you’re good at…”

Krystal narrowed her eyes at me for a few seconds before replying with a “…right…”

I picked up a pencil and wrote down the first problem on a blank sheet of paper. “Ok, let’s work this problem out together step by step.”

“Okay.”

“One thing to remember is that a lot of these problems just require you to figure out which formula to use. After that, all you really have to do is plug and solve, simple as that.”

“Easier said than done.”

I laughed and read the first problem aloud.

After reading, I turned to look at Krystal. “Okay, so which formula do you think we should use for this problem?”

Krystal stared back at me with a blank expression.

“……okay…….umm….how about this, are there any formulas coming to mind? Even if you aren’t sure, just write them down and I can help you narrow it down to the correct one.”

“…………..”

“…Krystal..?”

I looked back down at the problem.

Is it because the problem is way too hard?

But it really isn’t that hard…why isn’t she at least saying something…?

I looked back at the latter, trying to keep eye contact with her, but a few seconds of staring into her intense eyes made me withdraw my own and look somewhere else.

Why the heck is she just staring at me?

The atmosphere was starting to feel awkward for me.

Just as I was about to get up and excuse myself, a loud knock came from the front door of our dorm and a few minutes later, Taeyeon appeared inside our room.

“Hey guys, dinner is ready. Hurry because I don’t know how long Victoria and Sulli can keep Sooyoung from devouring everything on the table before everyone gets there.”

Krystal snapped out of her trance like state and got up. “Let’s hurry then unnie~”

Taeyeon laughed as Krystal quickly guided her out, leaving a confused me behind.

I shook my head and sighed before following after the two.

The three of us made our way over to Taeyeon’s dorm and as soon as we stepped inside, Taeyeon immediately ran over towards where Sooyoung was, slapping at the taller girl’s hand.

“Yah! Leave some for the rest of us will you – you man eating machine!”

Sooyoung with full smiled cheekily at the shorter girl before sitting down quietly next to Sunny.

Victoria and Sulli sat down as well, tired from watching over Sooyoung earlier but managing to save most of the dishes already on the table from being completely devoured.

“I hate you.” Taeyeon muttered at the taller girl before walking over to the kitchen.

“Love you too midget!” Sooyoung said with a mouth full only to be smacked by Sunny. “Ow! Why’d you hit me?”

“Swallow your food first before you speak. And how dare you call her a midget when I’m sitting right next to you!”

Sooyoung shrunk her head down and kept quiet.

“Wow, a tamed shikskin? I think I must be dreaming.” Taeyeon chuckled as she walked back towards the table with more plates in her hands.

Sooyoung lifted her head up to shoot a glare at Taeyeon who in return stuck her tongue out and shook her head in a mocking manner.

“Yah, you—!” Sooyoung pointed a finger at Taeyeon before getting up to chase after the shorter girl.

The two ran around the table screaming insults at each other.

Victoria was too tired to get up and stop the two so she just laid her head on Sulli’s shoulder.

Krystal went to sit down next to Sunny while I sat down next to Yuri who was sitting there quietly, staring blankly at the food on the table.

Must still be shocked about the kiss…

“Hey, where’s everyone else?” I asked looking at the latter.

Yuri mumbled something but I wasn’t able to catch it.

Before I could ask again, Sulli spoke up.

“Jessica unnie wasn’t feeling well so Tiffany unnie is taking care of her in the bedroom. Luna unnie went over to get Yoona and Seohyun unnie.”

“Oh, okay.” I said nodding my head.

“Wait, my sister’s not feeling well?” Krystal asked starting to get up from her seat.

“She’s just a little tired I think.” Sulli replied.

“Yeah! She’s just tired! Let her rest for a while and she’ll be fine!” Taeyeon shouted while still being chased around by Sooyoung.

“Oh, okay…” Krystal said sitting back down although a bit reluctant.

“Yah, get over here you ajumma sleeptalker!” Sooyoung shouted huffing.

Taeyeon turned her head around and stuck her tongue out again. “Make me you tall flag pole!”

Everyone sitting watched as the two continued to run around the table in circles like little kids.

“Are they always like this?” Sunny asked watching the two.

Victoria, Sulli, and I nodded our heads up and down.

“Doesn’t it get old?”

The three of us shook our heads left and right.

“I see.” Sunny said before turning to Krystal to chat.

I turned my attention back to Yuri.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” I asked poking the latter in the arm.

At first, Yuri ignored me, but after I kept poking her arm non-stop the latter finally turned to look at me.

“Can I tell you something Amber?”

“Yeah, of course, what is it?”

Right before Yuri could tell me, Luna burst through the connecting door laughing loudly, catching everyone’s attention. Even Taeyeon and Sooyoung stopped where they were to look.




Author’s POV

“Love is in the air~” Luna sang as she walked up to the dinner table.

Behind her trailed Yoona and Seohyun holding each other’s hand.

“Alright Yoong!” Sooyoung cheered loudly forgetting about the shorter girl she was chasing earlier and quickly grabbing a seat next to Sunny. “So, let’s hear it, are you guys together now or what? Have you gotten to first base yet?”

Seohyun blushed while Yoona just laughed.

“What!?! You guys got to first base already!?! Oh hell no!” Taeyeon yelled as she quickly went over and pulled Seohyun away from Yoona. “Yoona! Seohyun is still young! How can you do this!?! What did I tell you! We need to have a talk!!”

“Unnie we—” Yoona tried saying but couldn’t as Taeyeon kept rambling on.

“I mean, you’re both still young. You have great futures ahead of you. There’s no need to rush your relationship or take things too fast. I know that your hormones at this age might be a little haywire and all over the place, but please try to keep it under control. Who knows what might happen if –”

“Taeyeon, calm down.” Amber said placing an arm around the older girl to get her to stop talking.

“Ahahahaa, yeah Taeng, what are you so worried about? It’s not like those two can make babies anyways.” Sooyoung said in between her laughter. “Stop overreacting.”

“I’m just worried for them.” Taeyeon retorted, her hand still firmly grasping Seohyun’s.

“Unnie, you don’t have to worry because we haven’t done anything yet.” Yoona said reaching out to take Seohyun’s hand again. “Hyunnie said she wants to take things slow. She wants to get to know me better first and make sure her feelings for me are real and not just temporary before we officially get together.”

“…oh…” Taeyeon said rubbing her neck slightly embarrassed at her sudden outburst earlier.

“And when I asked her who she liked more, Yuri unnie or me, she said me keke.” Yoona beamed while Seohyun’s face turned even redder.

“Alright alright, why don’t we talk more about this while we eat?” Victoria spoke up trying to save a shy Seohyun from any more embarrassment.

“Sounds good unnie.” Yoona said as she dragged Seohyun to sit down.

The others who were standing sat down as well and everybody started eating.

Taeyeon scooped up two bowls of food for Tiffany and Jessica before she started getting food for herself.




Amber’s POV

“Amber, can you take these to Tiffany and Jessica?” Taeyeon asked handing the two bowls of food over to me.

I nodded and got up.

With the bowls in hand, I headed for the bedroom down the hall.

The door was slightly cracked open and as I neared, I could hear the two inside talking to each other.

Just as I was about to knock and enter, something they said caught my attention.

“Do you think she remembers you?” I heard Tiffany ask.

Jessica sighed. “I don’t know. It was a long time ago.”

“You never know, maybe you should ask her.”

“And then what? Won’t that just make us feel awkward around each other?”

“But she’s your roommate now.”

Are they talking about Yuri?

“Just forget it Fany, I was drunk that time, it’s probably not even her.”

“Why don’t you just ask her about it?”

“It was a one night stand Fany, what’s there to ask about? We were both young. I was drunk, she was drunk, and drunk people do things they regret all the time. Plus, she’s the one that disappeared the next morning, not me. I woke up in bed alone.”

My eyes widened.

“But you like her Sica. You can’t just hide your feelings away. You know I hate people like that.”

“I didn’t like her back then and I don’t like her now so can we just stop talking about this?”

“You did too like her back then. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t have gone back to that bar every night for the next two months hoping to bump into her again. I went with you every night remember? Now, if the person back then was indeed Yuri, then don’t you think this is a sign from god? Fate perhaps giving you a second chance?”

I was so engrossed in listening to their conversation that I failed to hear someone approach me from behind until I felt a hand on my shoulder.

I jumped in surprise, almost dropping the food I was holding.

“Sh*t!” I hissed turning my head around to see who it was.

“Oh, sorry hyung, did I scare you?” It was Sulli.

“You are seriously going to give me a heart attack one day Ssul. I’m going to die on the spot and it’ll be all your fault.” I whispered.

Sulli laughed and I quickly shushed the younger girl so that Tiffany and Jessica wouldn’t hear but too late, the door opened and Tiffany stood in front of us.

“What are you guys doing?”

“Oh, uh…we were just bringing you guys some food.” I said holding up the two bowls.

From the corner of my eyes, I saw Jessica getting under the covers and lying down.

“Ah, really? Thanks.” Tiffany said taking the two bowls out of my hands.

With that, the latter closed the door using her foot and I was left standing in front of the closed door with Sulli.

“Hyung, are you okay?”

I sighed and nodded. “Yeah, let’s go.”

Sulli took my hand and pulled me towards the living room happily, oblivious to my distraught face.

I was still trying to digest what I just heard. I find it hard to believe. Yuri had a one night stand with Jessica? They knew each other before? Why didn’t she tell anyone about this? Was this what Yuri wanted to talk to me about earlier?

“Umma!” Sulli shouted cheerfully as we reached the dining table. “I found hyung!”

“Good job Ssul.” Victoria said patting Sulli on the head and the younger girl giggled.

I took my seat next to Yuri and just stared at my food. I wasn’t really hungry anymore. I wanted answers.

“Hey, are you going to finish that?” Sooyoung asked across from me.

“Yeah, if you’re not going to eat it, can we have it?” Yoona joined in.

Everyone’s attention was now on me.

“Amber, are you okay?” Taeyeon asked noticing something off with me.

Even Krystal gave me a worried look.

“Huh? Oh, uh yeah, I’m fine.” I answered not really paying attention. “I’m just not that hungry anymore.”

“Yay! More for us!” Sooyoung and Yoona cheered getting up to grab my plate of food.

After dinner, everyone gathered around the living room to relax and watch some television.

I offered to do the dishes with Yuri. She washed while I dried.

Looking towards the living room to make sure everyone was engrossed with whatever is showing on the television, I turned my attention to Yuri.

“So…what was it you wanted to tell me earlier?” I asked as naturally as I could.

I’m not going to force Yuri to tell me, I want her to tell me on her own will, when she’s ready.

“Huh? Oh…uh…it was nothing.” Yuri said as she continued scrubbing the plates.

“Are you sure? You know I’m here for you right?”

Yuri stopped scrubbing. I could tell she was contemplating about something.

A few minutes of silence went by before Yuri started washing the dishes again.

In the end, she didn’t tell me. I let it go. She’ll tell me when she’s ready.

That night, Jessica stayed in Tiffany and Taeyeon’s bedroom so Taeyeon had to give up her bed and sleep on the couch.

“Yah, can you believe it? She took my bed and kicked me out of my own bedroom. To think she has the nerve.” Taeyeon complained to Yuri and me as she adjusted her pillow on the couch.

Yuri didn’t say anything as she laid down on the floor and stared up at the ceiling.

I was still in Taeyeon’s dorm because Krystal wanted to make sure her sister was okay before going back to our own dorm and since Jessica was staying here, Yuri had no choice but to stay here as well.

“Yo, what’s wrong with you? You’ve been really quiet today.” Taeyeon said as she leaned over the couch to poke Yuri.

“I’m just tired.” Yuri said as she turned over to her side and closed her eyes.

Taeyeon looked up at me and I shrugged.

Just then, Krystal came out.

“Hey, you ready to go?” I asked walking up to the latter.

“Were you waiting for me?”

I nodded.

“You didn’t have to wait you know.”

I shrugged. “I know, but I wanted to.”

Krystal smiled shyly before quickly heading for the front door. I chuckled to myself as I followed after.

“See you guys tomorrow.” I said before closing the door behind me.

Upon entering our own dorm, Krystal went ahead to take a shower.

Since Yuri was sleeping in the other dorm, that means I have to stay up tonight. I actually really wanted to sleep tonight not because I was tired, but because I wanted to rest my mind a little from all the unanswered questions floating around in there.

I sighed before making a quick check around the dorm including Yuri’s just to make sure everything was okay and that there weren’t any intrusions while we were gone.

Afterwards, I plopped down on the couch and hummed to myself.

As I was staring blankly at the wall, a loud scream suddenly came from inside the bathroom.

Krystal!

I bolted up off the couch and dashed towards the bathroom. The door was locked so I backed up a little a used my foot to kick it open.

The door flew open and I ran inside.

“Krystal! What’s wrong!?!”

My eyes darted around the bathroom until it stopped on Krystal. She was standing in the middle of the bathroom wrapped in only a towel, her body and hair still wet from the shower. She had a slipper in her hand.

“OMG!! What are you doing in here!?!” Krystal screamed in surprise and flung the slipper in her hand at me.

I dodged it and covered my eyes. “I-I’m s-sorry!! I heard you screaming earlier so I thought you were in trouble!”

I guess what I said brought Krystal’s attention back to why she screamed in the first place.

“There’s a giant spider in the bathroom!” The latter yelled as she picked up her other slipper.

072.gif

A spider? That’s why she screamed?!

And here I was thinking someone attacked her…

Somewhat relieved, I started to head out.

“Hey! Where are you going?!” Krystal yelled after me.

“To the living room.” I replied not turning around.

“What? No! Help me kill the spider first!”

I sighed and turned around looking at the floor. “Fine, where is it?”

“I don’t know. It disappeared when you came in and distracted me.”

“Well, since it’s gone, I think you should put some clothes on first.” I said.

“I can’t, I’m not done showering yet!” Krystal replied grasping the towel around her body tightly.

“Then what are you doing out of the shower?”

“I told you! There is a giant spider in here!”

“Okay okay, I’ll help you find and kill the spider but I want you to go put some clothes on, seriously. You’re going to catch a cold like this if you don’t.”

“No, kill the spider first.” Krystal replied.

Fearing the younger girl was really going to get sick like this, I had no choice but to quickly search for the spider.

The whole time we were looking around for the spider, Krystal stuck next to me like glue fearing the spider will appear out of nowhere.

I was slightly bothered by this because one, she was wrapped in only a towel, and two, she’s holding onto my left arm so tightly I’ve practically lost all feeling in that arm.

We spent the next 15 or so minutes searching for what I was starting to believe to be a non-existent “giant” spider until Krystal suddenly screamed loudly in my ear.

I winced in pain and looked at the latter, “What?!”

“There! There! It’s over there!” A terrified Krystal jumped up and down pointing at the corner of the bathroom by the trash can.

I made my way over and used some toilet paper to kill the spider before picking it up.

“Ewewewew.” Krystal cried pushing me away.

I laughed before flushing the dead bug down the toilet. “There, all gone. Now either put some clothes on or take a warm shower. It’s not my fault if you get sick because I warned you.”

I walked out of the bathroom and into the kitchen. A few minutes later, I heard the water running.

After getting myself a can of soda, I walked over to the living room and plopped down on the couch.

It’s a good thing Krystal actually took the time to wrap herself in a towel before stepping out of the shower or else it would’ve been really awkward for me if I saw her…….

My face flushed red and I started fanning myself.

I shook my head to get the inappropriate thoughts out when Krystal walked into the living room, fully clothed.

“What are you doing?” Krystal asked standing in front of me, the smell of her shampoo wafting up into my nose.

“N-nothing.” I replied getting up awkwardly which ended up being a bad move on my part because now I was standing face to face with Krystal, our bodies only inches apart. I definitely miscalculated that one.

Although my mind was screaming at me to put some distance between Krystal and myself, my body wouldn’t budge. Instead, I found myself admiring the girl’s beautiful face up close. It looked so soft that I unconsciously reached out and touched her cheek.

Realizing a tad bit too late what I was doing, I managed to save myself by sliding my hand to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear, pretending that was what I was aiming for in the first place.

Krystal, obviously surprised by what I did, took a step back shyly and looked down at the floor.

I retracted my hand and cleared my throat. “…S-sorry…”

“It’s okay…anyways, goodnight.” The latter muttered before shuffling away towards the bedroom.

I awkwardly followed behind. I watched as Krystal got into bed and pulled the covers over her head.

Just as I was about to leave the room, Krystal called out to me from underneath the covers.

“Amber?”

“Yeah?” I turned around to look at the latter. I don’t know why, but at that moment, my heart was pounding really fast inside my chest.

“Um……you might want to call someone to fix the bathroom door…because the top and bottom hinges came off.”

“……………………oh…………..okay.”

I scratched my head slightly embarrassed as I exited the room.

I took a look at the bathroom door as I was passing by.

Oops…maybe I should’ve knocked first…

But how was I suppose to know she screamed like that because of a spider…

The rest of the night went by pretty quietly except for Krystal’s soft coughing and occasional sneezing.

I told her she was going to catch a cold but she didn’t listen. Now I’m going to have to deal with a slightly sick Krystal. Hopefully her mood swings aren’t worse than when she’s not sick.

I ended up going into the room every two hours throughout the night to make sure Krystal wasn’t running a fever or anything and every time after I’ve checked her temperature, I would find myself just staring at her sleeping face.

I was confused with my own actions as well but brushed it off as just my duty to protect her.

About twenty minutes before Krystal’s alarm went off, I decided to take a quick five minute shower to freshen up a bit. After that, I came out and fixed up the door.

When that was done, I headed to the kitchen to make some hot tea for Krystal knowing that might hurt when she wakes up. I also went ahead and made some light breakfast.




Krystal’s POV

I woke up feeling groggy. I felt a sharp burn at the back of my throat and my nose was slightly stuffed.

Just great…I think I’m sick…

I sighed and looked over at Amber’s bed.

It was neatly made and it almost looked like it was untouched from last night.

Yawning, I scooted off my bed and dragged myself into the bathroom.

After closing the bathroom door, I noticed that it had been fixed.

I guess Amber called someone in early to fix it…

I washed my face and brushed my teeth before switching out of my pajamas. After combing my hair, I adjusted my outfit one last time before exiting the bathroom.

I went back inside my room and searched around my desk drawers for a mask. I don’t really want to pass my germs around to other people, especially Amber since she’s my roommate.

After putting the mask over the bottom half of my face, covering my mouth and the tip of my nose, I walked out of the bedroom with my bag.

As I neared the commons area, even with my mask on, I was able to smell something really nice.

I walked into the kitchen and noticed a plate of food neatly set up on the counter. I looked around for Amber but didn’t see her.

Where did she go?

Did she make this for me?

As I was examining the contents of the food on the plate, Yoona unnie’s voice suddenly echoed loudly in the room, scaring me lifeless.

“Good morning Krystal!!!”

“Aaaahhh!” I screamed frightened as I looked over to where the voice came from.

Yoona unnie had jumped up from behind the couch, her face donning a playful expression.

“Unnie~” I whined as I placed a hand over my heart to calm it down. “Why’d you scare me~?”

“Kekeke.”

“Unnie, did you make this for me?” I asked pointing at the food in front of me.

Yoona unnie came over and pulled the stool out for me to sit on. “Nope, Amber did.”

“Oh.”

“She made it especially for you though~~” Yoona unnie teased, nudging me playfully with her elbow and winking at me.

I couldn’t help but blush from what she said.

Just as I was about to pick up the fork to take a bite, the front door of the dorm flew open, banging against the wall loudly.

“Yoona! What happened!?! Where’s Krystal??” Amber came running in frantically.

Yoona unnie and I both turned to look at Amber.

“She’s right here.” Yoona unnie said pointing a finger at me.

Just then, Taeyeon unnie came running into the room as well.

“What’s going on? Did something happen? What’s with the loud noises?”

The four of us stared at each other in silence.

A light jiggling sound could be heard and soon enough, Bap came running into the room happily, his tongue hanging out of his mouth.

Not long after, Sulli came in.

“Good morning~” Sulli chirped not knowing what just happened.

Bap ran around the room and ended up by Krystal’s foot trying to get up on the stool to the food.

“What are we all staring at?” Taeyeon unnie asked still waiting for answers. “Did something happen? Is everyone okay?”

Yoona unnie shrugged, “I don’t know, Amber came running into the room in a panic. Ask her.”

All eyes were on Amber. Even Bap stopped barking and turned his little head to look in Amber’s direction.

“I heard Krystal scream so I thought something might’ve happened.” Amber explained. “I ran back down here to check on them.”

I felt my face heat up a little thinking about the same thing happening last night when I screamed because of the spider and Amber kicked open the door to check on me. It made me wonder why Amber seems so worried about me.

“Did you scream Krystal?” Taeyeon unnie asked looking at me.

I nodded my head but defended myself. “That’s only because Yoona unnie scared me.”

Both Amber and Taeyeon unnie heaved a sigh and looked at Yoona disapprovingly.

“What?” Yoona unnie said looking innocent. th_059_.gif

“Yoona, what did I tell you about scaring people? Do you want someone to die of a heart attack?” Taeyeon unnie lectured.

“Aw, come on unnie, its fun~. Plus, I didn’t think Amber could hear from upstairs, how am I suppose to know she has supernatural hearing?”

“Do you want me to tell Seohyun about what you did?”

5a6157d0.gif

“What! No! Don’t do that unnie! Hyunnie will lecture me too!! Her lectures are deadly!!” Yoona unnie jumped up from the stool in panic.

“Then stop scaring people.” Taeyeon unnie said before leaving, a smile appearing on her face for successfully finding something to counter Yoona with.

Yoona unnie pouted and sat back down on the stool. “I can’t believe Taeyeon unnie just used Hyunnie against me. Can you believe that Amber?”

“It’s your fault. I don’t like being scared either so I’m going to side with Taeyeon on this.”

“Aw, that’s not fair~ If Sulli scared you, you’d still side with her.” Yoona unnie complained.

“Hyung, you left this.” Sulli said giving something to Amber before picking Bap up and leaving.

Yoona unnie turned to me and pointed at the plate of food. “You should hurry and eat it before it gets cold.”

“Or before Yoona can’t hold herself back and eats it for you.” Amber added jokingly as she came around to the kitchen.

“Hey, I am not like that.” Yoona unnie protested and Amber only laughed.

I smiled at how close they seem.

“By the way Krystal, why are you wearing that…?” Yoona unnie asked pointing at my mask.

Before I had the chance to answer, Amber turned around from the stove to face us and answered for me.

“Because she’s sick. Here, drink this.” Amber said handing me a hot cup of what looked like tea. “It’ll help make your throat feel better.”

I was surprised to find that Amber knew I was sick. I mean, I just woke up this morning like this, how would she have known if she wasn’t around this morning when I woke up? She even went through the trouble of making me breakfast and some tea to soothe my throat. How could she have possibly known and prepare in advance? Even I didn’t know I was sick till I woke up.

I took the cup and thanked Amber who then handed me some pills. “Take these. It’ll help you get better faster.”

“Oooohh~ someone’s being extra caring~” Yoona unnie teased next to me and I blushed a little. “Sulli’s going to get jelly if she finds out~”

Amber smiled at me nicely before turning to Yoona unnie with a killer look.

Yoona unnie hopped off the stool and ran over to the living room, hiding behind the couch laughing.

I couldn’t help but laugh along.

After I ate everything on the plate, drank the tea, and took the pills, the three of us locked up the dorm and waited downstairs in the lobby for the others to join before walking to class together.




-----
End of chap.17
Whew~~ *wipes sweat from forehead* this took forever to post.
So how was this chap?
Anyways, comments are always appreciated <3 please look forward to the next update as well as f(x)'s jap. debut~
Peace