CHAPTER 28

Got Hooked

 

 

 

That night I couldn’t sleep. I kept thinking of Jihoo. I became restless. I don’t even have the courage to tell JR about our friend. I don’t know what to do next. Anyway, I still attended our filming for today, although I wasn’t in the mood.  I still have to do it until the end so I could get better impressions.

 

This afternoon, when Jiyeon and I had our lunch, I ate nonstop wishing that by eating I could forget everything for a moment. And when I was with my last mouthful of food, I noticed that Jiyeon stopped eating our meal while she wasn’t even able to finish half of her plate. Well, of course, that’s new.

 

“Why did you stop eating?” I asked; when it comes to food, Jiyeon’s as good-eater as I am, even better. It was quite weird that she was less interested with food.

 

“There was a cockroach in it,”

 

The what? -- Holy cow. Did I just eat one without realizing it? No way.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?”  I knew this place was a mess. We were so engaged with how this place was so far from anyone who might know us. Bad luck, huh. But still, she should’ve told me..

 

“Because you were so happy and engrossed eating it.”

 

I’ve never been annoyed at her since the day we started dating, in fact, I was mostly amused but right now, I was annoyed at her for the very first time. This wasn’t the right time to play around; she should’ve felt that at the least.

 

I threw her one of the many things I’m good at, death glare. It’s a first for me again. It was inevitable.

 

“Yah! Don’t give me that look oppa! You need to calm down, I was just kidding, alright? I didn’t have my appetite. That’s all.”

 

I was baffled that I continued in silence.

 

“ There’s no cockroach or whatsoever, I just acted a little; I thought you’re going to see way past beyond my prank but it turned out that you were fooled; hard enough that you could even get angry at me,”

 

What the? What’s gotten into her?

 

 “What’s with you today?”

 

“Tell me about it.”

 

“About what? ” I became suddenly irritated; a first for me again; it’s because I don’t usually feel much negative emotions when I’m with my Jiyeon. It’s just that right now, I’m overly sensitive.

 

 “Jihoo.”

 

Hearing his name made all the restlessness and uneasy feelings came rushing back to me.

 

“Oh,” is all I could I utter. Of course she knew. I didn’t show up yesterday on our usual lunch date. I didn’t reply to any of her text messages or calls. It’s only now that we had a chance to talk; of course, she’s sane enough to be suspicious of me, to be even angry at me.

 

“About how you stood me up yesterday, I won’t be angry oppa. Just tell me what exactly happened to you.”

 

I wasn’t ready to tell her but I guess I have to. I owe her an explanation.

 

The way she was listening intently and how she’s so focused on my story made me feel a little embarrassed. I didn’t want her to be looking at me that way. It’s making me feel and look vulnerable; a side which a boyfriend shouldn’t be showing to his girlfriend. I should’ve always looked strong so I could be relied upon; so I could be a dependable oppa.

 

I was a little shaky after I told her everything that happened. I felt like she changed view of me. I felt like she’ll never think the same way about me again.

 

The initial reaction I got from her was far from what I have expected. I thought she’ll be showering me with words like, you’re such a coward or you’re a bad friend, you should’ve stayed with him or even you’re useless but instead, she stood from her seat across mine, came near me and pulled me into her warm embrace.

 

“Jiyeonaaahh, the people are looking,” I said with my voice, hoarse.

 

No words were uttered. In fact she just hugged me even tighter; I knew that was all I needed. I didn’t need the common comforting words, just by her comforting touch, I felt a thousand times better. She knew me very well, this girl.

 

She never broke her embrace; I was really touched. We actually didn’t mind the eyes of the people on us anymore. I needed this. And so I hugged back tighter than ever;

 

Then slowly, we pulled out from our embrace. She took my hand and together, we ran away from the place; far away from everyone.

 

As we reached a place to stay, as we sat down, bit by bit, she started sobbing, “I didn’t know. I’m sorry.”

 

As much as I didn’t want to lose my face, that was what it all took before I finally broke down and cry.

 

She pulled me back in her arms. We stayed just like that, cuddled in each other’s arms, for who knows how long. Oh and if you’re wondering about the filming, we weren’t able to attend this afternoon session. Yeah right, we can come up with excuses later on.

 

After a few moments of silence, “Eottoke Jiyeonah?”

 

“First things first, let’s have a visit on the hospital together,” she sounded so decided.

 

“Like right now?”

 

“Of course; the sooner, the better.”

 

“But..”

 

I’m afraid I won’t be able to face him yet. How could I explain this to her?

 

♪ ♫ Ooooooh oooooohh neomuna wero wonado, Lovey Dovey Dovey Uh Uh Uh Uh ♪ ♫

 

Thank goodness someone called. It was good that I have an excuse for awhile that I just had to answer this call. And it was JR.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Hyung! Where are you?”

 

“Ahmmm. Well, how’s filming?”

 

“It was suspended! The whole cast is planning to support Ailee!”

 

“Support?”

 

“Don’t you know? Today is Ailee’s Debut stage.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Ohh. Hyung, you sound different, did something happen?”

 

“What time?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Ailee’s performance,”

 

“At around 4.30 pm, I guess.”

 

Now what..

 

“Ohh. And after that, the whole crew will celebrate all night out,”

 

“Is that so?”

 

“Ohh.”

 

“Okay,”

 

“Yes! See you hyung and tell Jiyeon noona to come over too! Anyway, nothing’s really wrong, right?”

 

“Hmmm.”

 

“I’m expecting the two of you to attend, okay?”

 

And he hung up just like that, without even getting a confirmation about my Jiyeon going too. It’s not like Jiyeon’s schedule is so free. Aishh, this boy, he’s just so clueless. Oh well, he sounded really excited that I’m quite certain that I would break his heart if ever I refused.

 

I sighed. I don’t know what to feel. Is it to feel relieved because I found an excuse for not coming to visit Jihoo since I wasn’t ready or to feel guilt because I couldn’t come sooner to accompany my lonely friend, Jihoo?

 

“So… “ My Jiyeon trailed off, clearly waiting for me to approve of her suggestion earlier, leaving me the decision of whether to go or not.

 

“Ailee’s debut stage will be late this afternoon,”

 

“Oh.”

 

“And JR is expecting me to be there,”

 

“Really?”

 

“Not only that. He wants you to be there as well.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Yeah. And There’s an all night-out party of the whole set following through,”

 

“I see.”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Filming was suspended as well.”

 

“Wae?”

 

“For Ailee’s support,”

 

“Cool.”

 

Have you noticed something different with our conversation just now? That was the most awkward talk I ever had with my Jiyeon.

 

 

 

♪ ♫ Niga ittneun gose nado hamkke halge... ♪ ♫

 

While we were all mesmerized by Ailee’s voice, my Jiyeon texted me,

 

Oppa. I hope your debut stage will be as successful as this one or if not, better.

 

And if you’re curious how cliché our situation is- that she was texting me when she could just tell me outright, it’s because we were sitted far apart. Y’know, as usual, precautionary measures. The only times that we’re near each other with people around is during our filming.

 

I replied,

 

Whether it’s successful or not, the only thing I wish is for you to be there, watching over me.

 

I was probably the cheesiest boyfriend ever in history but I don’t care. I don’t know how else I should express my love for my Jiyeon.

 

♪ ♫ Heaven Heaven Heaven Heaven Heaven. Yeongwonhi duriseo never gonna be alone .Oh, so alone... ♪ ♫

 

As Ailee concluded the song, she was applauded warmly. All of us in Dream high 2 cast felt genuinely so proud for her. And guess who’s in cloud 9 right now? Yeah. You’re right. It’s my friend. JR. He looked the happiest in the crowd. He was smiling from ear to ear, like a fool.  

 

As we were on our way to the party, Jiyeon nudged me and quickly whispered as she passed by me, “Don’t drink too much, harrasso?”

 

“Harrasso,” I whispered back.