Chapter 17: A Change of Heart

The Song in My Heart

A/N: DO NOT plagiarize the lyrics in this chapter! I came up with them on my own, so enjoy reading and please respect my ideas. Kamsahamnida~


Yoseob POV:

 

            I keep my eyes trained on her as she carefully sits down and brushes her delicate fingers across the keyboard. She takes a deep breath, and I move closer to stand beside her, staring curiously at the black and white keys underneath her hands. After a few seconds, she begins to play. The notes seem to float and linger in the air throughout the entire room. Soft and high notes, weaving a wispy and enchanting melody...

            I completely forget about everything and can only focus on the music. It just has a way of doing that to me.

            Eventually, a quiet but steady voice subtly adds to the piano. My eyes stray from her hands to her face. She’s singing? Her eyes remain fixated on the sheet music, and her lips begin to smile and carefully form each word, as her voice gets louder and quieter to match the music. I never knew she could sing...The lyrics catch my attention, and I listen closely.

 

Seeing you for the first time, I fell in love...

Your smile lit up the sky, lifting me up.

To another world and time, I could escape…

It was me and you alone, leaving this place.

 

            The song begins to build up, and the keys move down an octave to the middle of the keyboard. Her voice becomes stronger.

 

And when I hear your voice clear in my head

I remember every word you have said

Please give me your hand, and take me away…

I’ll love you forever starting today.

 

            I can't help but smile too. Her voice alone gives meaning to every word. My eyes start to shine with unshed tears at the thought that I, just me, Yoseob, could be so important to someone I never even knew. For the very first time, I realize how it feels to be loved and not even have a clue, until now. I study her face, and her eyes start to water but she keeps smiling. I admire her strength, even though I can tell she doesn’t always show it.

            I almost don’t realize it when she stops. We remain still for a few seconds before she turns to me. “By the way, Happy Late Birthday." She remembered? But then she glances down at the ground. "Mianhae, I didn’t get a chance to say it yesterday. What do you think of the song?”

            I clear my throat. “It was..." I start, glancing into her hopeful eyes, "beautiful...Gomaweo, Suhyun-ah. I feel so lucky to have a fan like you." More than that. "A friend like you.” I have an impulse to hug her, and I can tell she’s surprised when I do. But she relaxes and slowly puts her arms around me too. A knock at the door instantly pulls us apart.

            “Jamgaman,” I call out loud and head over to the door with her still at the piano.

 

Suhyun POV:

 

            As Yoseob walks away, my knees turn wobbly so that I have to steady myself on the keyboard. He hugged me! He loves my song! I feel dazed and can’t suppress a big smile on my flushed face. I’m still in a dreamy state when he opens the door.

            “Oppa!”

            I freeze and instantly recognize the voice. IU. Totally forgot about her…

            She squeals, “Let’s go eat now.” Yoseob glances back uneasily around the door at me. IU doesn’t wait for a reply. “Here, let me get your jacket.”

            “Uh,” Yoseob manages to say before IU walks straight past him into the room. I watch with fear as she heads over to the couch and picks up his jacket draped over the arm. Good, maybe she won't notice me. But as she turns around, our eyes immediately lock gazes. Oh, great.

            I watch uncertainly as her face turns paler, if that’s even possible. She drops the jacket but keeps staring right at me. I can sense Yoseob watching us, trying to figure out what to say. But we all stand there in silence for what seems like eternity.


A/N: Awww... :) Sweet chapter, no? Ooh, IU has discovered Suhyun with Yoseob :O What will happen next? ;D Please subscribe or comment on your thoughts so far.