Chapter 18: Uncertain Feelings

The Song in My Heart

A/N: It's been a long time since my last update! :o Mianhae...I've been incredibly busy lately. Hope you continue to take interest in my story~


            IU’s big eyes shoot straight into mine, and I begin to feel uneasy. Yoseob clears his throat and breaks the tension...just a little. “IU...you remember Lee Suhyun, right…?”

            She stays frozen, but her deep-pink lips softly reply, “Yeh…I remember her. What is she doing here?” with a slight but noticeable emphasis on the last word as she directs the question at Yoseob. Am I invisible? I can detect skepticism laced in her voice.

            I finally interject, “Oh um…I was just picking up something I left here from the party last time." I hate lying. "Mianhae, I'll go now." I give a small bow before walking towards the door with my music clutched to my chest.

            Yoseob’s voice sounds from behind me. “Suhyun-ah, I’ll see you around later, okay?”

            I turn and find his captivating eyes. “Araseo..." I say with a smile, taking in the look on his hopeful face before the door closes between us.

 

IU POV:

 

            As soon as the door shuts, I whip around to face Yoseob who’s still staring at nothing and lost in thought.

            I fold my arms and pout. “Oppa, what’s going on between you guys?”

            He turns to me. “Huh? Oh, don’t worry about it...” He comes over and gently embraces me, but I don’t wrap my arms around him back. Yet, I can’t help feeling comforted. Curse his charms. Oppa, why do you have to make it so hard on me? His voice interrupts my thoughts. “I had to return some music sheets she lost.”

            Hesitantly, I murmur, “Araseo…” I add in my mind, But I don’t want her taking my oppa away. I trust him more than anyone, but if she tries to come between Yoseob and me, I’ll put up a stronger fight. For sure.

 

Suhyun POV:

 

            Inside the elevator as it descends, I quietly smile to myself and hop up and down excitedly.

            “Ahh, I’m in love,” I whisper dreamily, leaning - or more like falling - back against the elevator wall. “Omo…” The doors open, and I shuffle my way across the lobby and outside. Snow is quietly drifting down. With my hair sprinkled with newly-fallen snow, I look up at the sky, and shout, “Wahhh, life is good.” My cheeks turn pink when a few people glance at me curiously, so I continue walking to my apartment before a thought hits me. I should tell Taeyang all about this! How happy I am.

            A few rings go by. “Yeoboseyo?”

            “Taeyang-ah!” I practically shout into the phone.

            I can almost picture the scowl form on his face. “Yah, why are you shouting??”

            “Mian. Let’s go get some kimchi jjigae. I’m starved. Plus, I’ve got good news!”

            There’s a pause, and he sighs. “You're so random...Araseo, see you soon.” I grin and stuff my phone into my coat pocket before heading off in the direction of a small, familiar restaurant, situated in the midst of all the hustle and bustle of the town square. I spot the large glass window across the front of the restaurant, clearly showing only a few people eating their meals. The mouth-watering aroma hits me when I open the door.

            Soon, I’m seated at a lonely table for two, close to the back of the place. I carefully play with the corner of one of my music sheets, replaying the song in my head over and over again. It was me and you alone, leaving this place…

            My ears pick up on the sound of a bell across the restaurant, and I turn to see Taeyang making his way over to me.

            “Annyeong, babo,” he shouts.

            I flick his arm as he walks around the table to sit across from me. “Hello to you too.”

            A few moments later, a waitress comes around and takes her pen from behind her ear. She bows and kindly smiles. “Annyeonghaseyo, are you ready to order?”

            “One bowl of kimchi jjigae please.” I hand her the menu, still unopened.

            “Make that two,” Taeyang says and does the same. As the waitress leaves, my stomach gives a loud merciless growl.

            My arms immediately wrap tightly around it. “Aish,” I mutter. I can tell Taeyang's suppressing a smile as he leans across the table.

            “So,” he quietly says. “What’s the good news?”

            “You’ll have to wait. I’m too hungry to tell you.”

            His eyes narrow, and he thumps my head. “Araseo.” I rub my head with a frown.

            The food eventually comes out after forever, and I instantly attack the hot, spicy stew. I almost burn the inside of my mouth since it’s still bubbling. I then glance up slowly and realize Taeyang hasn’t touched his yet. Instead, he’s just staring at me with an amused smirk on his face. Surprised, I clear my throat and swallow.

            “Isn’t it good? Aren’t you hungry?”

            He smiles. “Aniya, it’s just that you’re eating like a whale.”

            My eyes widen. “Yah!! I’m not a whale!!”

            "Aish…I said you’re eating like one.”

            “Oh…" Two seconds later..."Yah!! I'm not eating like a whale!!”

            I continue my mission with my soup when he suddenly asks, “Now can you tell me the good news?” I stop, and my lips curve into a smile I can't hold in.

            “You’re not going to believe this!” I start rambling. “Okay, so Yoseob called me and then I went to B2ST’s place; when I got there, he wanted me to play this piece I wrote for him that I was supposed to play on his birthday…So I did, and he loved it! Taeyang, he loved it! After all that, he hugged and thanked me and said he's glad he has me as a friend. Can you believe it?? I mean...my idol, Yang Yoseob, just told me that! I’ve never been so happy in my entire life!”

            The whole time, Taeyang is staring at me, expressionless. I stop talking and wait eagerly for him to smile and hit me on the back like he usually does. Suddenly, he explodes.

            “Yah, Suhyun-ah! What makes you think this means anything, huh?? He loves IU, and he called you his friend! Do you want to be hurt again?? That guy is a player! A. PLAYER.”

            My eyes turn big. “M-mweo?!”

 

Taeyang POV:

 

            I’m about to shout some more, when her facial expression stops me. Her wide eyes, trembling lips, flushed cheeks. Maybe I shouldn’t have said those things. I can read everything in her face. Surprise, pain, anger...Way to go, Taeyang. Scaring the living daylights out of her.

            “Suhyun-ah,” I start, with my voice quieter as I reach out to her hand. “Mianhae, I didn’t mean…”

            She immediately jumps up from her chair. “Well this means a whole lot to me! For your information, I’m thankful I even met Yoseob, and he’s ten times the friend you’ll ever be!" She mutters the last words with her voice hardly contained. "You’re awful, Taeyang.” She snatches some papers from the table and stalks out of the restaurant. All I can do is sit like an idiot and stare at her half-eaten bowl of stew. For the next ten minutes, her words repeat over and over in my head. He’s ten times the friend you’ll ever be…

            I pound the table in frustration, and a few people glance over at me with evil looks. After receiving the check I eventually head out into the cold. The sky is turning darker, but instead of heading home I turn right and walk towards the hotel where I saw Yang Yoseob before. I can’t believe I’m doing this! Only for Suhyun…only for Suhyun.