Chapter 3: Midnight Celebration

The Song in My Heart

            I discover that B2ST had made arrangements beforehand for a private place to watch the fireworks from, above the town square. As we make our way into the town's finest hotel at the edge of the square, several fans block our way inside. After a few quick autographs and pictures, we continue, hurrying into an elevator to the very top. Once Doojoon unlocks their door with a card key, we enter a cozy yet spacious area with connected bedrooms and some Christmas refreshments on a nearby counter. Perhaps they're complimentary from the hotel? A balcony is also outside, overlooking the entire town on the other side of the window glass which is as large as the wall itself.

            “It’s so beautiful...” Ten minutes later, I'm staring out on the balcony dreamily, watching spheres of glowing light here and there, reminding me of the stars. I’ve never seen such a magnificent view even though this is my hometown. I feel warmth by my side and realize that Yoseob has come to stand next to me. The rest of B2ST is inside, delving into baskets of candy canes and cookies. Gikwang is munching on a gingerbread man.

            I laugh as Yoseob follows my gaze. “Is B2ST always this hungry?”

            Yoseob glances at me with his amused, puppy-like eyes. “Of course. Wae?" He whispers close to my ear, "Don’t tell everyone that B2ST's weakness is food.” He wears the cutest face I’ve ever seen, and my heart flutters a bit.

            “I won’t,” I promise with a grin, placing my chin in my hands. “So out of all the places to perform at, why here?”

            Yoseob does the same, resting his chin in his own hands. “I guess because B2ST wanted to escape the big cities for a while and just relax in a small town for Christmas before our tour. We might stay here for a while." It's silent for a few moments before... "Oh! I never caught your name.”

            “Suhyun. Lee Suhyun,” I reply with a smile.

            “Yang Yoseob.” He holds out his hand with a grin playing on the edges of his lips. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

            I raise an eyebrow and laugh, shaking his hand. “You too.” At last.

            BOOM! A loud crack goes off, and our heads whip around to see the first fireworks of Christmas explode. Immediately, the other members drop their candy canes in mid-bite and dash to the edge of the balcony with us. Yoseob and I exchange glances and watch, fully entertained, as the rest let out cheers and bounce up and down at random.

            “Can’t have Christmas without music,” Dongwoon shouts, and he pulls out an iPod. “What song?” he asks, turning to me.

            I think for a few seconds. “How about Beautiful?” I reply, secretly glimpsing Yoseob’s face, who is looking towards the sky. The familiar first notes play through the deafening fireworks, and my ears are straining to hear.

            “Mian,” Dongwoon says. “This is the loudest it goes.”

            Eventually, the fireworks show comes to a close, and B2ST resumes their candy rush.

            “Oh!” Yoseob interrupts my thoughts. “I almost forgot.” He reaches into his pocket and pulls out the small box I gave him at the concert. My cheeks turn pink. Will he like it?

            “Gomaweo for the gift,” he says sweetly. “Can I open it?”

            “Of course," I tease. "It’s for you after all." At this, he begins to tear it open, and I find it adorable at how ecstatic he is. Just like any kid on Christmas morning. Suddenly, a crash sounds from inside, and we instantly jump at the noise.

            "No!" Yoseob has already let go of the tiny, half-opened box, and I spot it topple over the balcony edge along with Yoseob's failed attempt to grab it midair. Down it tumbles into the darkness to somewhere unseen. We are already leaning over the railing, our eyes searching frantically for it. But the box is too small to be able to find from above. I hesitantly glance over at Yoseob, whose eyes are as round as plates, looking lost. He turns to me, visibly ashamed.

            “M-mianhae.” He stares at the floor and rubs his neck, making me just want to give him a hug. “I shouldn't have been so close to the edge.”

            I sigh and smile, waving it off. “Aniya, gwenchanah. Don’t feel bad.”

            “Jeongmal mianhae,” he repeats anyway. His eyes continue to dart across the ground, anywhere but my face. I hurriedly say what I know will cheer him up.

            “Yah, we’ll find it.”


Hey, guys! Thank you so much for reading this far ;) Please subscribe and/or comment! I really want to know what people think ;) Just a little support will make my day <3 The story gets much more interesting, so please read on~