Chapter 6: On Ice

The Song in My Heart

            The sweet and comforting aroma of coffee has already permeated the entire shop when we enter, and I immediately spot Mr. Kim, flipping through a newspaper behind the counter. “Annyeonghaseyo,” I greet and slightly bow, catching his attention. "Merry Christmas!"

            He smiles warmly. “Back so soon? What can I get you?” His eyes then hover over Yoseob next to me, completely unaware that he’s a famous Kpop idol. He raises an eyebrow at us both.

            “This is Yang Yoseob,” I introduce, before turning to my right and whispering, “I work for Mr. Kim here. He's my boss.” After Yoseob's eyes light up for a moment, they acknowledge each other with a nod. “We’ll just be picking up a couple drinks before heading to the ice rink downtown.”

            “Ahh...I heard it’s a must-go during the Christmas holiday.” Mr. Kim clears his throat and lowers his voice in a grand tone. “So what can I get to accompany you both on this festive date?" He clearly emphasizes the last word.

            My cheeks go slightly pink. “Oh, aniya, it's not like that...We just met yesterday." I awkwardly play with my fingers, giving Mr. Kim a look. In the small silence that follows, I scan the ground before I continue to embarrass myself.

            Yoseob doesn't seem to have noticed. “Hmm…I’ll take whatever Suhyun orders. She knows more about this place than I do,” he says while staring at the menu. “What's good?” He turns to me.

            I push aside the past moment and contemplate for a second. “Mmm…the Christmas hot chocolate special with whipped cream and extra candy cane on top.” Yoseob turns back to the counter at my request and nods for himself. Mr. Kim immediately gets to work.

            Eventually, Yoseob and I exit the shop with our steaming-hot beverages and make our way down the sidewalk to the ice rink. Sipping from my cup, I discreetly glance at him beside me. He's doing the same. The beanie is still low over his forehead, and his eyes suddenly turn into half-moons and almost catch me off-guard. “Mashida," he sighs with satisfaction.

            I smile, and after a few moments, I ask what I've always wanted to ask him. As a fan. “So what’s your favorite B2ST song?”

            He tilts his head thoughtfully. “Me? I like You.”

            My heart skips a beat. “M-mweo?!” Did he just say he likes me??

            He gently flicks my forehead and laughs. “Yah, don’t you know our song, You?”

            “Oh…." It clicks. "Oh! Of course I do...I like that song. A lot...” My cheeks unfortunately begin to burn for the umpteenth time since I've met him, and I mentally hit myself in the head. Babo, babo, babo.

           

            “Yoseob?” I tug on my other ice skate. “Do you know how to do this? I’ve never skated before.”

            He stops tying his laces. “Omo! You haven't?”

            “Uh...yeh…hehe.”

            “Gaja.” He takes my hand, and soon I’m on the most slippery surface I never knew could exist. “Whoa, whoa, careful.” He keeps a calm tone of voice, and the initial fear begins to subside. His fingers interlock with mine, and I hope with all my heart that my hands aren’t too clammy. One minute later, however, I’m pitifully edging against the wall, clinging on for dear life. He laughs his adorable laugh, and I stick my tongue out at him as he skates backwards effortlessly and shows off.

            “Yoseob!” I plead, attempting to keep my skates from sliding in all directions. “I need some help...” He comes over and holds my shoulders from behind and nudges me a few feet.

            “Wah, I’m getting better,” I say proudly in front after a few minutes of shuffling forward inch by inch.

            “Baby steps, baby steps.” He laughs in my ear, and I can feel his breath barely brushing the back of my neck. Distracted in my thoughts, I don’t react in time when a little boy accidentally rams into my side.

            “Ah!” I scream as I slip onto my stomach—hard—with Yoseob trying to grab a hold of me. We both end up falling and sliding a short distance across the ice. As we collide together into the nearby wall, I don’t even notice my stomach aching because I can make out Yoseob's voice somewhere in the background. Omo! It's B2ST’s song, Shock.

            “I love this song!” I shout with a smile and spot Yoseob rubbing his head beside me. He carefully stands up and fakes a microphone in his hand with his eyes closed.

            “I’m sorry, jaebal naegae dashidora wah jeulae..” His voice, I swear, is actually better than the one blaring on the speakers. But right now, between the two of us, there's no loud background music, no fierceness in his voice like the recording. It’s just…a sweet, simple line that manages to lift my heart up nonetheless.

            I slowly get up as well and shut my own eyes. With my own imaginary microphone, I continue his singing part. “Nanuh daemoonae ahmoo gud ddo halsu upneundeh, ohhh.” He gives a cute smirk at my act, and I give a wobbly smile in return. Is it getting hot in here? Aish! Why does my face keep turning pink?!

            A phone's muffled ringing suddenly sounds, and Yoseob rummages in his pocket. “Jamgaman,” he says to me and answers it. “Yeoboseyo?...Yeh…Nugu?....Oh! Jeongmal??.....Araseo.” He hangs up and looks at me with renewed shining eyes. “Guess who’s here to spend Christmas with B2ST??” He stares anxiously, waiting for me to ask who.

            “Nugu?” I'm ask, entertained.

            “IU!”

            “Jeongmal?? Wah, that’s pretty cool!” I reply with surprise. IU?? Her voice is so beautiful, and I admit that I envy her at times. Plus, everyone knows that Yoseob is a complete fan of her. They’ve done a couple duets together, but Yoseob probably doesn’t get to see her often due to their busy schedules.

            “Gaja,” He bounces up and down happily with his hands in his jacket pockets. “Let's go meet her back at the hotel. I think you'll really like her.”

            “Oh, araseo.” Before I realize it, I'm watching him helplessly as he skates back to the rink’s exit. By the time I get there, proud of myself I made it that far without falling, he’s already outside with his skates off. I can't help but smile anyway at that innocent face. As we make our way back together, he swiftly starts to walk ahead of me without knowing, no doubt thinking of how happy he’ll be to see her again. It's obvious he's missed her a lot.

            “Yah, Yang Yoseob,” I call with a laugh. But he doesn’t take notice. I shake it off and catch up to walk beside him the rest of the way.


Annyeong! :) How's the chapter? Ooh...IU's in town! Stick around to find out what happens next~