Chapter 2: Magic in the Air

The Song in My Heart

            Unknowingly, the song has made my head feel foggy. All I can see now is Yoseob’s bright face, looking only at me and singing only to me. Or at least that's how it seems... I finally manage a wobbly smile because just staring at one of Korea’s top idols in person like a dummy won’t benefit anyone. The song ends too quickly, and Yoseob looks at me one last time as the crowd cheers.

            “Merry Christmas.” He smiles and hands me B2ST’s newest album, along with six signatures on the case. No way! He walks me back to my original spot in the crowd, but just before I hop off the stage after thankfully bowing to him a few times, I remember the gift. I rummage in my coat pocket for the box and bring it out for him to see. He reads the tag, grins, and says, “Gomaweo."

            “Merry Christmas,” I reply with a smile. My eyes take in his face once more, and then I carefully slip back into the crowd. The rest of the concert goes slowly because I’m still woozy from my recent surreal experience. Of all the people and places, he had chosen me, concealed in this small town. This is the greatest Christmas gift a girl like me could ever have hoped for. As B2ST eventually steps off the stage at the end of the show, I scream and cheer as loud as I can like I did before and smile to myself just to finish this memory on a good note. As if there weren't already enough good notes.

            The crowd disperses, and the temperature drops suddenly, so I decide to stop in at the coffee shop I work at just before it closes. It’s empty as usual. After all, it’s practically a dot on the town map, and with it being Christmas Eve, there’s a noticeable absence of people tonight.

            “Annyeonghaseyo, Suhyun-sshi,” the shop owner and my boss, Mr. Kim, greets familiarly, as he sees me here for work quite often.

            “Annyeonghaseyo,” I reply cheerfully. “Can I get the usual?”

            “No problem,” he says before starting up on my order, and as I wait, Yoseob's face briefly pops into my head.

            I've asked for the same drink I usually do—a hot chocolate with extra whipped cream. Mr. Kim hands me my steaming cup, and I take a seat at one of the small, empty tables. Sipping my winter drink, I glance at the time on the old clock hanging on the wall. 11:35...Twenty-five minutes left until Christmas. I'm beginning to anticipate the fireworks, arranged to go off in the square promptly at midnight. I continue to sip, and my mind wanders back to Yoseob for the umpteenth time already. Too focused on my thoughts, I don’t pay any attention to the bell ringing in the doorway.

            “Annyeonghaseyo,” several voices greet.

            One asks, “Can we get a table for six?”

            Mr. Kim's voice replies, “Of course. Please feel free to sit anywhere. It’s pretty empty tonight.”

            Still holding my cooling drink and reminiscing, I barely hear several people take their seats a couple tables away. The quiet shop soon fills with chattering, and I glance behind me curiously to see who the newcomers are. I almost drop my drink.

            All six faces... Scanning them, my eyes land on Yoseob’s. My mouth accidentally falls open, and I can’t stop staring…again. Ahhh! It’s THEM. Christmas Eve is beyond lucky this year.

            The leader of B2ST, Doojoon, spots me staring at them a moment later and nudges Junhyung next to him. Before I realize it, all of B2ST has turned to stare right back at me. In a split second, Yoseob’s face brightens in recognition, and he waves.

            “Nice to see you again," he calls out, breaking the silence with his friendly voice. I force myself to return to reality and give a small smile.

            Slowly, I stand up and walk over to their table. “Neh, it’s nice to see you too.” I bow my head, and it takes all my willpower not to just lose my composure and bring out the inner fan girl. “I really loved your concert. I’m a huge fan of B2ST.” It is very much the truth and has been for a long time. And I'm proud.

            B2ST warmly greets me, and I sigh in relief as the tension fades. Yoseob sweetly pulls up a chair for me to sit next to him. “That’s cool that you're a B2UTY,” he says. “What’s your favorite song of ours?”

            I contemplate for a while. There are so, so many on my music list. “Mmm, I like Oasis and Say No, and also Because of You and Bad Girl... Oh, and Special and Soom…” I hear a few laughs and turn back to everyone around me, spotting several faces grinning and others looking pleased.

            “Maybe your favorite is all of them?” Gikwang teases with a smile. I blush with embarrassment. It's true...

            “Well, we were going to watch the fireworks. Do you want to come?” Yoseob looks at me with those eyes. Those eyes... I melt in an instant.

            “Okay!” I say almost too eagerly before clearing my throat and playing with my fingers under the table.

            “Gaja.” Doojoon stands up and adjusts his coat. I throw away my empty cup as I follow B2ST out the door. Outside, delicate snowflakes are gently falling, and a few land on my eyelashes. Yoseob, now wearing a beanie that's covering his forehead, chuckles and motions near his eye. I blink in confusion, and he softly brushes away the specks of snow on my eyelashes with his thumb. When my eyes open once again, he has already caught up with the others, and I keep walking but with a new smile on my face.