Chapter 10: I Remember

The Song in My Heart

A/N: Suhyun's POV will be throughout this entire chapter. This one's shorter but covers what happened with Taeyang~


Suhyun POV:

            “Yoseob...what’s it like being an idol?”

            He turns, one eyebrow raised. “What do you mean?”

            I sigh in thought. “Like…for someone as normal as me, I can’t even imagine. But for someone famous like you, how do you handle it all? The pressure.”

            He slowly exhales and looks out over the balcony. “Well, it’s crazy. Going from a completely normal guy, a student like you, to being a singer for Korea is a big change. I'm still getting the hang of it. But, honestly, every time I see a fan’s smiling face and hear them screaming support every performance, it makes me realize…that it’s all worth it.”

            “What’s the best part of being a singer?”

            He thinks for a few moments. “I guess…it’s that I know I can make a difference. I can make someone happy, and that’s the best thing I can do. Plus I love singing, of course.”

            “What’s your favorite song to sing?” I give a small smile.

            “Hmm…that’s tough." He laughs, "I love them all!”

            Amused, I think to myself, I’ll find out soon enough…

A Few Hours Later

            I exit the hotel and carefully make my way down the sidewalk, considering it's almost pitch-black outside except for some lampposts. As I slowly and sleepily approach my apartment building, a firework goes off, making me jump. With a loud crack, everything clicks together. Fireworks. New Year’s. Taeyang. Taeyang! My hand smacks my forehead as realization settles in. Oh God, he's probably furious! I totally blew him off...I sprint the rest of the way to my apartment and up the stairs. I almost stumble across something on the ground when I suddenly stop and look down curiously. Sitting at my feet is that mini, white bear with the red bow around its neck beside a bunch of flowers. I slowly bend down and pick up the bear. The tag attached to it reads:

 

To: Babo

From: Your Best Friend

Glad that we can see the first fireworks of the new year together! :)

 

            Guilt begins eating away at me. I take in a shaky breath as I unlock the door and head inside. My phone lies on the miniature table beside the door. I am a babo. I take it in my hands, and it immediately lights up with several missed calls, and voicemails. Can he make me feel any worse right now? Hesitant, I slowly put the phone against my ear.

 

7:15 p.m.

            “Yah, Suhyun, you babo, why’d you leave your phone at home? I’m out here waiting...and bored."

 

7:30 p.m.

            “It’s cold out here. Are you coming back soon? We’re still seeing the fireworks later, right?”

 

7:55 p.m.

            “Yah, you’re an hour late! Where are you? What’s taking so long? You’re gonna hear it from me when you get back. Why am I talking to you when you don't even have your phone..."

 

            My heart sinks at every word. He waited that long? I hope he doesn't have a cold now…

            I dial his number from memory and wait a moment. It rings several times before…

            “Yeoboseyo?” The voice on the other end sounds dull and tired.

            “Taeyang-ah..?” I begin to pace back and forth in nervousness.

            “Oh…it’s you.” Each word sounds heavy with contempt and disgust.

            My stomach feels like it’s just been punched. “I’m really sorry, please let me explain.”

            “Just drop it, I know where you were.”

            “M-mweo?”

            “Look, if you wanted to celebrate with your idol instead, fine. But to keep me waiting outside in the cold? How careless can you get, Suhyun? I mean, really, you’re such a burden sometimes. I always have to remind you or protect you, and I’m fed up.”

            The words sting.

            “Tae-,” I begin helplessly, but he cuts me off.

            “I’m done talking to you. Happy New Year.” The line ends.


A/N: Wahhh D: Dramatic...Don't worry, there's more to come. :) We'll take a tiny break from Taeyang for more Yoseob :D See you at the next chapter!~