Chapter 9: Sweet Escape

The Song in My Heart

A/N: Lots of switching between Suhyun's and Taeyang's POVs in this longer chapter. Please keep that in mind :) The dramatic parts shall begin at the end of this chapter and continue throughout a few (for those of you who want more excitement). Thank you so much to you readers who have gone this far!


            “Jjan!” My eyes widen at a giant chocolate ice cream cone appearing in front of my face. Taeyang plops down next to me with his own mint chocolate-chip swirl.

            “Gomaweo!” I happily plunge my lips into the cold, sugary ice cream like the little kid I am. I can’t help but glance up through the trees once more, but surprisingly my eyes can’t find Yoseob or IU. Where’d they go? Taeyang snaps his fingers in front of my staring eyes.

            “Yah, is it good?”

            “Mmm..mashida.” I grin before taking another bite, and he nods, satisfied.

            He leans back and sighs. “So, I was wondering if you wanted to have dinner with me Thursday night? To celebrate New Year’s and watch the fireworks…ya know?”

            “Okay, sounds great.”

            His eyes brighten. “Really??" He then clears his throat and turns serious. "I’ll pick you up at 7 then?”

            I nod and continue to casually eat my cone. He coughs with a smirk and gestures towards his lips. After seeing the surprised expression on my face, he takes a napkin and wipes the corner of my mouth. I can feel my cheeks blush a light pink.

            “You clumsy babo,” he says with a small smile after throwing away the napkin.

            My eyebrows scrunch together. “Y-yah…I’m always clumsy. You of all people should know by now. Remember? I’m the only one who can walk and trip over my own feet.”

            We laugh, as the full moon glows overhead, casting dim silver streaks across the treetops. I wonder where Yoseob is…

A Few Days Later - Thursday Evening

            Exams are over! Whew, finally. I hug the few books I brought with me and skip down the university steps. The world seems to turn beautiful in an instant. Why? 'Cause there's no school tomorrow or over the weekend for the holiday. Suddenly, my phone blows up with B2ST’s Bad Girl. I unconsciously bob my head up and down as I flip it open.

            “Yeoboseyo?”

            “Suhyun-sshi? It’s Yoseob! You’re done with exams, right? We’re having a small party at our place for New Year's Eve. Wanna come?”

            “Sure, I’ll be there,” I reply eagerly. After hanging up, I literally sprint the rest of the way to my apartment and ransack my closet as soon as I enter my room.

            “Aish, I have nothing to wear,” I groan after ten minutes, sprawled and defeated on my bed. Eventually, I decide halfheartedly on casual but cute attire, pulling my hair to the side and adding a fancy pin to it anyway. I snatch my bag from the bed and head out in the direction of the Han Hotel, the cold breeze stinging my happy face.

Taeyang’s POV:

            I stare at my reflection in the full-length mirror, adjusting my necktie and neatly folding down my shirt collar. I glance at the nightstand clock; it’s almost time. 6:40. With one more satisfied look in the mirror, I grab my things and head outside toward Suhyun’s apartment. Don't be nervous. You got this.

Suhyun’s POV:

            “Annyeong,” I greet cheerfully as Yoseob appears, standing in the doorway with a friendly smile.

            "Come on in."

            As I'm welcomed inside and enter B2ST’s room, I immediately spot IU nearby in a pretty blue dress, sitting at the kitchen counter and chatting with Gikwang. Maybe I should’ve dressed up a little more.

            “There’s plenty of food if you’d like.” Yoseob gestures towards the endless buffet waiting on a huge table. Hyunseung and Dongwoon are already loading up their plates. My stomach growls, when music catches my attention. I turn around, and a smile forms on my face as I watch Junhyung and Yoseob head up to the karaoke machine situated on a mini stage, along with a few microphones. There’s a brief pause in the quiet background music, and then Doojoon begins to play the first notes of Thanks To on the piano.

            I have to hold my breath to restrain myself. A scream is threatening to crawl up my throat. My heart leaps as I dreamily sway back and forth to Yoseob’s voice.

            “Nuhaegae kok hagoshipeun hanmadi…”

            He glances at me, and I smile back encouragingly. I eventually lose myself in the song. Lose myself in time.

Taeyang’s POV:

            I take a deep breath, and after thirty seconds of standing outside her door like an idiot, I ring the bell. My arms are holding a couple of items, but I stand and wait for what seems like a while. Is she home? I ring it again, but there’s no reply. I grudgingly force myself to put what I’m carrying down onto the cold concrete and take out my phone. Calling Suhyun...After a few rings, I can barely make out a muffled ringtone, coming from somewhere outside the line. I remove the phone from my ear and look around. My ears catch a quiet song playing behind the apartment door. It beeps, signaling a missed call.

            Babo, I think to myself. Of all the times to forget your phone, why now? I sigh and sit down on the front steps. Maybe she’ll come back soon. Time seems to go by slower and slower, as the night air makes me shiver. I clench my fists tight and cross my arms.

Suhyun’s POV:

            I gently lean my chin on my hand and stare out over the balcony at the town’s view for the second time.

            “Having fun?”

            My head whips around, and I smile at Yoseob, coming to stand next to me.

            “Of course! You know how happy I am because my idol just sang one of my favorite songs in the same room as me?” I rant quickly before immediately realizing my words and looking down awkwardly. Did I really just say that out loud?

            He laughs. “Well, I feel honored.”

            After a brief silence, I glance up at him. He's looking up into the sky. “Yoseob?”

            He keeps his eyes overhead. “Hmm?”

            I put my fist up in the air. “Hwaiting!” It’s a sign of encouragement. I’ve always wanted to say this to him, to tell him to keep going and never give up. Kind of random...His attention is brought back to me, and I try not to avert my eyes.

            Surprisingly, he grins and does the same. “Hwaiting!”

Taeyang POV:

            I check my watch. 8:00. Where the heck is she? I sigh and decide to take a walk. Maybe she’ll be here when I get back. Stuffing my hands in my pockets, I head down the sidewalk, past all of the stores, but my mind’s on her. Suddenly, her laugh rings through my head. Whoa, I'm going insane. I hear it again.

            I automatically look left and right. It seems too real to be in my head. I glance up and do a double-take after glimpsing a figure on a balcony up high. Squinting, I can barely make out Suhyun, leaning over the edge.

            I’m just about to yell out her name, when I spot another figure next to her. Who is he? It suddenly hits me. B2ST. Something rushes through me. Anger.