Chapter 26: A New Path

The Song in My Heart

A/N: *Happy dance* You guys got my story up to 600 views ^.^!! Amazing! Hehehe...thank you so much :) Sadly the chapter after this will be the very last one :( Hope you guys really enjoyed this story, and please please add any feedback or suggestions in the comments section or posts on my wall. Mian, I've been crazy-busy with sports and school (did homework until 10 last night). This will make it up to you readers~


            Deep in Dreamland, I hear vague clapping in the background. It gets louder, and I snap out of my trance in our kiss. We break apart, and I peek around Yoseob to see B2ST cheering and dancing and letting out whoops like a bunch of little kids. Yoseob just smiles and drapes his arm around my shoulders as we head toward the center of the room with everyone surrounding us. They've gone full-out. Confetti is gently drifting down and landing in my hair, reminding me of the snow last night.

            Hyunseung shakes my shoulders with shining, eager eyes. “Suhyun-ah, you have to come okay??”

            “Where…?” I ask confusedly. It hits me that I still don’t know why they’re all congratulating me and having a party.

            “Lee Suhyun,” a deep voice says suddenly, interrupts my thoughts.

            I glance past Hyunseung and just now spot the man sitting in a large armchair off on the opposite side of the room. Whoa, didn’t notice him before…

            He’s dressed in business attire, and I immediately guess that he’s someone pretty important, so I bow respectfully. “Annyeonghaseyo.”

            He stands up and walks over to Yoseob and me waiting quietly. His eyes are bright behind the pair of round glasses perched upon his nose. He clears his throat and slightly nods his head in acknowledgement. “A pleasure to meet you. Allow me to introduce myself: Hong Seungsung, CEO of Cube Entertainment.”

            OMO! He’s serious?? Gee, I'm only standing in front of the man who brought B2ST together!

            I bow repeatedly. “It's an honor, sir." My voice has loads of unconcealed enthusiasm.

            “Yeh…Please take a seat.” He gestures with a smile towards the couch facing his chair. I carefully sit down as gracefully as I can, and Yoseob squeezes my hand beside me.

            Mr. Hong laces his fingers together and leans forward in the chair. I try not to squirm under his steady gaze. “Suhyun-sshi, I have to admit I was quite impressed with your performance a few days ago.”

            He saw? “N-neh…?” I must look totally clueless right now. He liked it? Now I'm suppressing a smile.

            His face is still calm, which relaxes me a bit. “You composed that song, correct?”

            I nod my head. “Yes, sir.”

            “And I heard that you are interested in becoming a songwriter. We’d like to extend an opportunity for you to compose at our company. Do you think you might be interested?”

            …Moments pass slowly in silence. I turn to Yoseob with wide eyes, but I can’t even look at him for long because of his puppy face just pleading with all his heart.

            “Do it, Suhyun-ah,” Doojoon whispers encouragingly from somewhere behind me.

            I turn back to Mr. Hong. “You mean…I’ll get to work for Cube? In Seoul?”

            He nods. “You’ll be able to move there and have the chance to write songs for our idols. Of course we’ll have to do more evaluating, but consider this to be the first step for a potential career. You’ll be able to collaborate and work with some of the other great songwriters under Cube. This is a rare opportunity, and we’ve already seen you perform. So it’d be a shame if we couldn’t have someone like you with us.”

            I continue to stare at him, with thoughts flying through my brain. I’ll have to leave here? But I’ll get to see Yoseob…Plus this is my dream…I mean, how many people get a chance like this? Wait…what about Taeyang? And college? Aahhh, answer him already!

            “If it’s okay…I’d like to have some time to think over this,” I reply hesitantly. I can sense B2ST releasing the breaths they were holding in, and they exchange hopeful glances with one another.

            Mr. Hong softly exhales through his nose and unclasps his hands. “That’s fine. B2ST has their world tour coming up soon, and we’re leaving for Seoul in a couple days. I’ll give you until then.” As he stands up, I do as well, and we both bow to each other.

            “Kamsahamnida! I’ll give you an answer as soon as possible.”

            At this, he smiles warmly. “Please think carefully, Suhyun-sshi.”

            I take a deep breath. “I will.”

 

            When Mr. Hong leaves, I hang out with B2ST for a while, eating plenty of food and having the time of my life with them. They try some persuading here and there throughout, and Yoseob even mentions how great I’d be working with them. I’m amazed at how much potential he sees in me, when I can’t see it myself.

            Pretty soon, it’s late afternoon, and I wave goodbye to B2ST as I head down and eventually through the hotel’s front revolving doors. I sigh and collapse onto a bench nearby outside, the cold breeze brushing my cheeks. I sit in thought for a while, before my cell phone lights up. I don’t bother to check the caller ID as I flip it open and hold it against my ear.

            “Yeoboseyo?”

            “Suhyun?”

            “Taeyang?”

            I sense him smirk. It's good that he has already bounced back. “How’s it going?” he asks, his voice muffled through the phone.

            I stay silent and brush the snow on the ground in circles with the toe of my boot.

            “What’s wrong?” Taeyang can tell in two seconds when something is awry.

            “I…I got a job offer.”

            His voice perks up. “Jeongmal? That’s great, what is it?”

            I brace myself for his letdown. “A songwriter for Cube Entertainment. You know, with B2ST? In Seoul." I say the last few words quieter and immediately feel guilty. That probably hit him hard.

            There’s a pause. I can hear his steady breathing in my ear. I can picture his forced smile. “Oh…chukkhahae...You really deserve it, you know.”

            I sigh. “I don’t know if I should do it. I’ll miss you too much. I’ll miss this town too much. I mean, I’ve been happy my whole life here.”

            He blows up through the phone, and it still manages to make me jump. His voice is much louder. “Yah, Lee Suhyun! Why are you sulking? You should be cheering your heart out! Get up, and have some confidence, araseo???” His scolding is in both of my ears now.

            I stand up, startled, and my arm drops down with my phone still in hand. “Taeyang…” There he is, standing fifteen feet away from me with his phone still pressed against his ear. His eyes are glassy but still angry.

            He calls out to me, “You better take that offer.”

            All I can do is stand and stare like that "babo" friend of his, sniffling at the sight of him telling me to go chase my dream even though it's far away. He walks up to me slowly and closes the space between us by pulling me into a tight embrace. A warm embrace that feels so familiar…so good.

            “Throughout the years, we’ve only made two promises to each other,” he whispers into my hair. “The first…to work hard and be successful in music when we grow up. We have worked hard so far, haven’t we? And we will be successful. It’s just that my chance will come later. And yours is right now.”

            I rest my head against his chest and hug him tighter.

            “And the second…Remember when I found you crying in the middle of the night? I said that I’ll always be your friend, and I'll never leave you again. You never promised that you couldn’t leave me first, right?”

            At this, a few tears fall from my eyes onto his shirt. Just like last time.

            He continues, “Wherever you are, count on me to be there when you need me, araseo?”

            I nod, but my quiet, muffled sobs come out anyway. He stands still, just holding me and letting me cry. Taeyang, I’m so lucky to have you. How can I find the strength to leave everything I've ever known behind?