Chapter 12: Singing from the Heart

The Song in My Heart

Suhyun POV:

January 5th – Yoseob’s Birthday

            Ring, ring, ring…I’m literally the first one to jump out of my seat at the sound of the bell and sprint out of the classroom. Hopping down the stairs with my bag still half-open and running across several streets, I eventually approach my apartment building. Ecstatic once inside, I snatch my composition off my keyboard stand and flip open my phone. Dialing Yoseob’s number, I wait impatiently, fidgety and nervous. Answer…answer…

            He doesn’t. I shove the phone in my coat pocket and yank my closet door open. My eyes scan the closet’s contents and finally locate the light golden dress I managed to buy yesterday. I calm down enough to carefully curl my hair and pull some of it back with several pins, before applying brand-new mascara and eyeliner. Finished, I take a good look in the mirror. It doesn’t really look like me, but when my phone alarm beeps, I forget about it and rush out the door.

            Once inside the lobby of the Han Hotel, I slowly approach the front desk clerk. “Can you please check if B2ST is in their room? Lee Suhyun eebnida.”

            She looks up at me from her computer screen. “Jwesonghamnida, B2ST is currently out. They left just a few minutes ago.”

            “Do you know where?”

            She shakes her head. I bow and thank her quickly before turning around to exit the hotel. Where are they? Maybe they’re having dinner for Yoseob’s birthday? I sigh and walk toward the coffee shop.

            “Annyeonghaseyo,” I greet Mr. Kim. He looks up from his register after depositing some change.

            “Oh, Suhyun,” he says with surprise. “I’m surprised you’re not at the performance.”

            “There’s a performance…?”

            “Oh, you didn’t know? That one boy group is having a small performance out in the town square soon...to celebrate something…I can’t recall what exactly.”

            “Omo, jeongmal??”

            “Yeh,” he replies.

            I hurriedly head back toward the shop’s door. “Jwesonghamnida, Mr. Kim, I’m going to go check it out.”

            He laughs. “Araseo, have fun.”

            When I'm outside, I realize that an unusual number of people have gathered in the square, some with signs. I didn’t know B2ST would be performing again…

            Because I’m late, I’m stuck with a side view of the stage. I just want to find Yoseob though. The sun is setting, and the sky is streaked with orange clouds. Ten minutes later, the spotlights begin to brighten my surroundings, and an eruption of screams starts up.

            I naturally get excited and expect a loud note to begin the song but surprisingly hear soft, sweet ones instead. And my ears expect to hear a strong, clear voice, but instead they pick up on the angelic voice of a girl. A girl?? My eyes widen, and I see IU step out, a mini light yellow dress making her look more beautiful and innocent. Wait…I know this song…

            She smiles and sings, “If I had a boyfriend, there’d be so many things I’d want to do…” The audience is quiet, completely mesmerized by her sweet voice.

            A few lyrics later, I watch her curiously as she brings her microphone down and turns to the other end of the stage. Oh! I remember, this song was a du- A voice fills the night air. I recognize it immediately.

            “If I had a girlfriend, there’d be so many things I’d also want to do…” Yoseob reveals himself, and the place goes wild. I’m the only one unmoving, staring up at him walking towards IU. All I can see are his eyes, sparkling, full of emotion, passion, and...love. Staring into hers. Only hers. I feel my pitiful heart sink. He can’t take his eyes off of her, like I can’t take mine off of him. I can feel the truth behind his every word.

            “The birthday when I was alone…” he sings.

            Yoseob, I whisper in my head, you’re not alone. I’ll always be your #1 fan. I’ll play the piano, sing, talk with you…just for you on your birthday.

            The song ends after what seems like forever, and I escape the suffocating crowd. I sneak around and try to peek inside backstage. Unfortunately there are a couple of security guards blocking the door.

            “No access allowed to fans,” one says curtly.

            My eyebrows scrunch together. “I’m a friend of B2ST.”

            “Sure you are,” says the other, and he practically shoves me back down the steps.

            “Suhyun!”

            I rub my side and slowly stand up. Gikwang weaves through the guards and heads over to me. “Hey, are you watching the rest of the show?”

            “Uh, yeah,” I say hesitantly. “I wanted to wish Yoseob a happy birthday, since I haven’t had the chance to yet.”

            “Ah, well he just finished the song, so how about coming backstage? You can get a good view of what’s happening out here on the T.V. inside.” He smiles and winks. “Doojoon and Dongwoon are about to perform When the Door Closes.”

            “Okay,” I reply cheerfully. I follow him inside, earning dirty looks from the guards, and immediately spot Hyunseung and Junhyung raiding the candy table. They never stop eating, do they?...

            “Go ahead and take a seat,” Gikwang says and tosses me a water bottle from a small fridge.

            “Gomaweo.” I sit down on the soft couch, positioned right in front of a high-quality T.V. screen, displaying a perfect view of what’s happening onstage.

            As the first piano notes play, my mind gets lost in the music. I can’t help but admire the raw emotion of the song. I sing along in my head: Before saying your last farewell to me, please stop for just a moment, and look at me while smiling.

            A sound coming from behind jolts me back to reality. A laugh. I slowly scoot to the left side of the couch and peek around the partial wall. My heart jumps because right there are Yoseob and IU, embracing each other, her head resting on his shoulder, his cheek nestled in her hair. I feel my face turn pink and have to catch my breath after turning to face away from the wall again. I lean back and rest my head against it – the only thing separating us now. Their voices reach my ears, and I can’t help but overhear them.

            “Happy Birthday, Yoseob oppa,” IU says softly.

            “Thank you for singing with me,” he replies. “This is the best birthday yet. Just being here with you.”

            Coming from Yoseob, those words hurt, but I keep quiet.

            “I got you something,” IU murmurs.

            I hear a rustle and slowly peer around the wall out of pure curiosity, just barely. I almost cry out when I see Yoseob holding up a small charm, admiring it up close. My charm. The one that was in the small box that I wrapped carefully on Christmas Eve. The one I brought to the concert and the one Yoseob accidentally dropped off the balcony edge. My teeth clench together, as angry tears blur my vision. I will them not to spill over. IU smiles, her soft, pale face showing satisfaction.

            “Read the words,” she whispers.

            He turns the dangling silver star-shape around and reads, “Saranghae, Yoseob <3 Stay strong. Love, your #1 fan.” He slowly brings it down.

            “Gomaweo, IU.” His eyes are shining, and he gently caresses her cheek. As their faces get closer inch by inch, I immediately jump up and crumple my music sheets, throwing them on the floor as I dash to the exit. The winter air feels like a slap across my face, but I don’t care as tears begin to slowly stream down my frozen cheeks. All I can think to do is run. Just run. I don’t care where or how long, I just can’t bear to finish seeing what’s happening back there. I cover my mouth as the tears relentlessly continue to fall, and I ignore the stares I receive from random passersby.

            I’m crushed. My heart just broke in two, and you don't even know how much I’m hurting. How much I truly care. And what’s worse, there’s nothing I can do about it.


A/N: Drama...xD Haven't gotten comments in a while. Silent readers, please subscribe or at least comment! I need some motivation~ Haha, thanks so much to those of you who have gotten this far ;) Hope you like the story