Chapter 1: A Moment to Remember

The Song in My Heart

            With the first flower of spring blooming, I embrace the warmth on my cheek of the April sunrays finally penetrating the clouds. A note is clutched in my hand, with his handwriting. The words are those I plan to read at least a thousand times and can’t stop thinking about over and over again. They are the words that I’ll never forget. I slowly look toward the rising sun and smile because I feel his presence with me, his hand on mine. I can hear him whisper my name. A moment to remember and always relive…

           

Three Months Earlier

 

            It’s Christmas Eve, and frost is forming on the window glass. Fog smears what I can barely see down below outside, and the gray sky is clear. I pull on my thick, black winter coat and boots and wrap around my favorite Christmas scarf. Quickly stuffing my ticket into my coat pocket, I hop downstairs and out the door. The cold wind hits me, and I can see my breath coming out in huffs as I head to the town square. Turning the corner, I spot thousands of lights twinkling, and it takes a few moments to absorb my surroundings. Glittering, colorful little shining stars are scattered to decorate the whole place, and hundreds of people have already gathered around the stage centered in the midst of it all.

            Still captivated by the setup, I hand in my ticket and slowly make my way to the front, so close to the stage, and smile because it’s finally here. I’m here. He’s here. The one I’ve been waiting to catch just a glimpse of. Yang Yoseob. At last I’ll be able to hear his beautiful voice and see the face I have only seen through pictures and videos. I squeeze the tiny box in my hand, with its small tag bearing the words To Yoseob. My attention snaps back to the stage when, what had seemed like forever, the spotlights change from red to white and an eruption of cheers sounds from all around.

            I laugh, because everything is so surreal. Am I really here? The first notes of the song Beautiful start to blare on the speakers, and I cheer until my throat hurts. The bright melody fills my heart, and when the six members of B2ST appear onstage, I practically jump in surprise. Immediately scanning their faces, I spot Yoseob’s. My heart stops, and my breath becomes rapid and shallow. This is the moment! This will stay with me forever.

            From the second I see him, my eyes refuse to look away. He's so close... His voice fills the entire square, and I find myself rocking back and forth to it like I did on those days that seem so long ago, a smile painted on my face. Yoseob…look this way. As if answering to my silent plea, his eyes quickly flash to mine, and we lock gazes.

            Oh my God. I naturally freeze up and just stare into his eyes, like a statue, too shocked to even think anything at all. My cheeks are burning, but he smiles and continues to sing as he walks across the stage, closer and closer. As if we weren't close enough... My face is still, and the whole world fades out. It’s just me and him, his eyes staring me down, while the music is the air. Still in a dream-like state, I decide to blink and realize that he’s crouching down right in front of me. His hand is held out, and I hear a roar from the crowd—of jealousy or encouragement I haven’t a clue. Slowly, my clammy hand finds his warm one, and he pulls me up onto the stage.