As Long As You Keep On Smiling

My Online Boyfriend (Fixing chapters)

 

Hanna's POV

Could it be such a coincedence? 

My eyes were stinging from holding in my tears, but I'm just trying to hold it in temporarily.. 

Maybe Key and I really aren't meant for each other... I was still hesitant in accepting that fact that we could be best friends, but it's just so hard figuring out my feelings right now. Their manager just told me to leave, permanently, after our discussion in the car about officially being friends. This is a sign that it's our time to separate, so we both can stop lingering onto the feeling of liking each other. Okay.. I can be strong.. we can be strong.. it's time for me to stop wasting my time here at their company and distracting them from practicing for their big concert.. I have to go home too, since everyone's probably stressing out with the fact that my phone's been dead for a couple days..

"I'm sorry, but you need to leave now." Their manager strongly commanded and pointed at the door. 

My eyes fluttered up and I blinked a few times. My stomach started twisting, and I was shaking due to my tears that are forcing themselves to burst out. I quietly sighed and tried to shake off the feeling. 

"Okay.. I'm sorry.." I quietly replied and began walking out, but someone suddenly jerked me back, with a tight grip onto my arm.

"No! You can't do this hyung! Why are you doing this?" Key shouted and pulled me even closer to his side. My lips were quivering, but I needed to hold everything in right now. 

His manager scoffed and shook his head," Are you being serious right now Key? Are you really doing this in front of me?"

"Why are you doing this to us hyung? Can't we have our own friends here at all? You aren't allowed to kick someone out like that!" I've never seen Key this enraged before, I even flinched to the sound of his loud yelling. 

I slightly looked up to see Key's face again, which only hurt me more. I saw his hurtful feelings in his eyes as they drooped down like sad little puppy eyes. His eyebrows creased downwards and his jaw looked very tensed. I wonder if he referred to me as his friend now, or still secretly thinks of me as- why am I still holding on to the fact that Key still likes me! Let go of this Hanna! 

"This isn't a one-sided decision Key. I talked to our chairman and guess what he said?" I looked over at their manager and saw that evil smirk on his face. 

"What did he say?" Jonghyun suddenly asked.

Their manager leaned forward a bit- he seemed entertained by the fact that they were all curious to know- and lifted his eyebrow mockingly with the same smirk on his face. His arms were crossed and he straightened up in pleasure to tell us all the facts that the chairman has made a priviliage. 

"Okay," their manager continued," After discussing with him Key's decision to break the rules and sneak out of the company-"

"I wasn't sneaking out!" Key interrupted then let go of my arm. 

The manager glared at him. "-sneak out of the company," he emphasized," he got upset and concluded that Key has been making the most distrustful responsibilities in the group and only he will not be allowed to gain any access to his person technology."

"Are you ing me right now!" Key snapped and that made everyone gasp, even the manager. 

"Key," Onew stepped up to try and calm him down, but Key threateningly stared at him while heavily breathing. I wanted to leave this place so badly now, this is all my fault for all these arguments and troubles in the company and all the internet rage- this is all my fault. 

"Did you just curse in front of me! Look at this boy breaking the rules in front of me-"

" the rules! this! that! Hyung what the hell has happened to you and your obsessiveness with these damn rules! You were never like this to us back when you were just our bodyguard and now you're commanding and cocky and all you care about is money now and forgot about us and hyung!"

The longer I stayed here, the stronger the argument intensified between the two. I slowly backed away, but accidentally backed up into Minho behind me. I didn't want to break just yet, so I maintained to stay silent while Minho protectively put his arm over my shoulders. I tucked my head beside him, afraid I might crack during the moment.

 

Key's POV

 

I couldn't stand this place anymore! The stresses I have felt here are far more different when we first debuted. I thought being part of a company was fun, how it was in the beginning, and we all happily sang in the hallways and supportively prepped each other before each concert, but all of that has disappeared completely. Back when our manager was more than a boss to us, way back when he was just our friend and helped us get through the nervousness we'd feel before performances, and someone who just supported us all the way.. back when he understood us all, and not at all acted like how he is now in the present. Ever since he got promoted to be our manager... why the hell did this happen. 

"What... did you just..." He was grinding his teeth together and took a step forward towards me. I remained standing still in front of him- not even caring if he would punch me right now. 

"Do it," I dared him and looked him straight in the eyes," Punch me and see if I care, hyung." 

"This is seriously not necessary at all," I heard Onew say behind us, but then noticed he was now standing beside me from my peripheral vision. 

His fist was already prepared, and he was about to aim towards me, but I saw everything in slow motion and I started becoming deaf when Hanna quickly ran in front of me and guarded her face with her petite hands. The air was literally out of me.

"HANNA!" Everyone shouted as I finally heard again. My eyes were wide and I wasn't expecting anything brave like that of her at all. She opened one eye and turned her head towards me, then opened her other eye. My jaw was still slightly dropped and my heart was in panic mode. 

Hanna turned away from me, grabbed onto the our manager's fist that was still held straight at her, and slowly lowered it back down to his side. He looked confused and watched her as she did that, then he looked back up to her. 

"I'm sorry for causing trouble for everyone here. I'm sorry that I was the reason for Key, Jonghyun, Onew, Minho, and Taemin getting yelled at. I'm sorry if I gave your company too much stress, but I'll be going now. It was nice meeting you," she replied with a sincere voice and bowed respectively. She then turned towards us all and smiled- then she bowed again. "I'm so glad I got to meet all of you. You all have been so kind to me here, I'm so lucky to even have met you guys. Thank you for letting me stay here for a night. It was fun spending time with you all!" She bowed one more time, but when she looked up, she looked straight at me. 

"Thank you Key," she whispered, then slowly turned away from me, knowing it would be the last time we would ever see each other again.

I was too nervous to do anything, I was too confused to step up for her.. If I grab her and tell her please don't go, won't it confuse her? I'm already too confused... everyone knows us as friends now, and it's officially settled by the both of us that we are friends and only best friends.. and if I stop her.. it will show that I really love her.. 

The door shut close and Hanna was already on her way. 

..but I just can't leave her.

I rushed towards the door and on my way out I heard someone shout out "Key stop!", but I can't stop right now. 

As soon as I shut the door, I realized I was standing alone in an empty hallway. I franticly looked both left and right, but didn't see Hanna. She couldn't have left that fast, could she?

I quickly ran down the hallway and turned a corner, I skidded on my left to gain balance then continued to run down again. I finally reached the elevator, and shot my gaze up towards the number- the elevator was almost down near the lobby, it must be Hanna.

"." 

I had no choice but to take the stairs behind me. My legs cannot fail me now. 

Hanna, please be stalled for at least one more minute. 

 

Hanna's POV

 

The door's of the elevator opened and I quickly rubbed the tears off my face with my hand. Having emotional breakdowns in an elevator is not good, because your cries echo and people from each floor could hear you from their rooms. 

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and stared into the reflected screen to see if my eyes were puffy. It was still pretty calm looking, but it will burst like a plum later tonight I bet.

I shook my head and casually walked out and made my way towards the front entrance. I had to quickly get out of the building though, I can't have anyone else notice me or else I might cause even more trouble here downstairs.

I finally made it towards the entrance and pushed my way out into the cold, freezing air. Sheesh, is it winter already? I looked up at the sky and realized it was almost near sunset and I had to be home soon. I needed to call someone for a ride...

"I need a ride... great," I sighed to myself and helplessly looked on both sides of me. The streets were empty, and there was no one around to ask for a cell phone to borrow. I can't use the phones inside SM.. they'd hunt me down on the spot. 

I was rubbing my arms out of frustration, and for warmth. I desperately walked a bit down the sidewalk and suddenly spotted a pay phone on the other side of the street.

Quickly making it over there, I sighed in happiness and ran across the street. Once I stood in front of the box in front of me, I rustled around with the inside of my pockets and pulled out spare change I received when I bought food earlier. I placed the coins in the coin slot, then dialed...

"Oppa!" I cheered. I don't sound tired or upset right?

"Is this Hanna? No? RIGHT! I'm being serious here to whoever the hell is calling to joke, just stop it now to spare you life. I'm hanging up again, bye-"

"OPPA JIWOOK! IT'S ME HANNA!" I laughed which brought a smile to my face. He was worried about me?

"..H-Hanna?" His voice was all shock and stunned.

I smiled and nodded,"Mhmm."

"ARE YOU KIDD- ARE-.. HANNA WHERE ARE YOU! I'M BEING SERIOUS TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE I'M PICKING YOU UP RIGHT NOW. ARE YOU CRAZY? HOW DARE YOU NOT CHARGE YOUR PHONE. WHERE ARE YOU? ARE YOU OKAY? WHO IS WITH YOU? ARE YOU SAFE? DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW LONG IT'S BEE-"

"Oppa! I'm fineee! Why are you worrying?" I eye-smiled and chuckled.

There was silence on the other side and I was worried he hung up already and called for another search party or something, but he suddenly replied afterwards.

"Okay, I'm calming down right now since I know you're okay." I smiled. "But something is most definitely wrong with you, because you just called me Oppa."

My cheerful smile turned into a frown and I knew he would know something was up. I should've not played the aegyo card and just went natural with it. Sighhhh, okay, I seriously just want to get picked up right now.

"Yeah.. sorry..:" I relaxed my head on the side of the telephone box and tapped my head against it a few times. I heard Jiwook chuckle on the other side of the phone. 

"You better explain yourself when I pick you up. I've been so wor- Everyone's been so worried about you, it's crazy down here. Where are you?" My stomach unnaturally swirled to the sound of his voice and him saying that. I don't know.. I just miss him so much.. all our great memories are beginning to come back to me. I miss my.. friends..

I decided to let my feels spread out at home later, but right now I straight up told him I was at the SM building- which he obviously freaked about. Then got pissed, because he knew I was with Key, then later became more happy saying how he was on the way already and he should be here as quick as five minutes. Then we hung up. It was a quick catch-up conversation which made me more than happy at the moment. 

I placed the phone back in it's place and smile with all satisfactory feelings back again. When I talk with Jiwook, my old self just appears again and I just miss every one all of a sudden. It's only been about two days, but it feels like I've left them for forever.

Jiwook said he would be picking me up in front of the building, so might as well cross back. 

As I turned around I clumsily bumped into someone, which gave me a mini heart attack again. 

"I'm sorry!" I bowed quickly two times apologetically. I quickly looked back up to say sorry again, but had a giant leap in my heart when I saw Key staring right back at me.

I stayed quiet and took a step back feeling uncomfortably to face him again... I couldn't face him right now...

When I took a step back, he took one step forward. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion and worry, because I knew where he was going with this. 

I stepped back two times, but he took 1 large step forward. I looked up at him, but he his neutral face remained the same. I gulped in nervousness and stepped back once, and again he stepped forward once. One more back, one more front, one more back, one more front, one more back- OOF!

And I ran into the pay phone box behind me.. 

I closed my eyes and looked down, afraid to see Key close to me again. I tried saying bye already, I tried to keep it short, sweet, and simple. I said good-bye already Key, can you please stop torturing me like how you always do and leave me alone now... 

The only sound I heard was honking and engines accelerating or braking on the streets beside me. The cold wind was blowing through me and I shivered outrageously. I'm really hating this cold, hard wind right now, I wasn't prepared at all for this kind of weather!

Almost too quickly, I shivered again, but the cold wind was slowly replaced with a warm sudden hug. His arms were tightly wrapped around my body and I couldn't help but have a winter blush. His hug felt different this time, but in a good way. His scent is... different... but..

I opened my eyes and noticed I was hugging the person who I thought I was hugging. 

"I missed you too much, don't ever do that again," Jiwook whispered into my ear then hugged me tighter. 

I gasped and pulled away from him to reassure it really was Jiwook. My eyes brightened and my smile extended even farther as I saw how different, but similar he looked now. He had his bangs slightly pushed up into a front mohawk, cut the sides of his hair, and dyed it brown. He looked very different, but very.. Jiwook styled. 

"Kpop Jiwook?" I joked and gave him another quick hug.

"If you say so, then sure," He chuckled and hugged me back. All the memories are back now. I can't wait to go home now. Imagine behind separated from your best friend for an entire year, then suddenly they appear in front of you one day and happiness inside you is raised immensely.. that's how I feel right now.

"You came very randomly," I laughed and pulled away again once more,"I mean I just had my eyes closed and..."

Oh no...

I forgot.. 

I was too afraid to look beside me, but I had to. I forced myself to look to the right and see Key standing right there waiting and experiencing everything that just happened in front of him right now. 

I could tell.. he was forcing that broke smile.. his eyes aren't happy.. they're almost in the form of teardrop shapes.. his arms are drooped beside him... that hurt him.. and yet he's using all his strength to show that he's really happy right now. 

"Hi, Key, It's been awhile since we've met," Key shook Jiwook's hand and they both awkwardly greeted each other.

"Yeah," Jiwook smiled," Thank you for taking care of Hanna these past couple of days. I was worried sick about her." Jiwook I will kill you.

Key smiled towards me, then looked back at him," Yeah, I wanted to make her feel as comfortable with us as possible." Why did you say that Key..

"Jiwook," I dared interrupted their hateful glares towards each other and pushed him towards his car," Can you get inside now? I want to say good-bye really quick," I rushed him towards his side of the car and pushed him inside. I made sure his arms and legs were inside, then I slammed the door on him. How dare he act polite and sweet and . Ugh. My feelings of happiness into anger in 5 seconds, how?

I pouted and looked up above the car. Key was still patiently waiting by the payphone. 

I fast-walked around the car, stepped up onto the curb, then continued walking faster towards Key. I stood in front of him and slapped his arm really hard, but he didn't flinch. I slapped it again, and he just stood there staring at me. I was too ashamed to look up at him again  and just stared at his chest. I began hitting that a couple times too, then suddenly just bursted into tears onto his jacket. 

I've been trying to hide these emotions until I got home, but I couldnt.. I began to sob harder when Key hugged me back and gently placed his head on mine. I gripped onto his jacket and tried to force myself to stop crying, but once a tear makes it's way out, a whole waterfall just begins running. 

"Key why..." I muffled into his sweater and still continued to quiver frantically. 

He stayed quiet for awhile, both just taking in this last good-bye until how long, but then replied with,"We'll progressively figure out what we feel about each other in the meantime, but don't stress on it too much. Like you told me earlier today, love can't be rushed, but friendship can take it's time."

I cried even harder into his now soaken sweater, and clamped both my hands together behind his back. I feel like the tighter I hug Key, the closer he'll forever stay with me. 

"I can't blame anyone else anymore. It's because of me, everything is because of me!" I suffered the continuous tears that never once stopped to just trickle down. Key began to caress my head and chuckled. 

"Don't say that you're the fault here. Nothing will ever be your fault okay?," He placed his chin on top of my head. "If you don't stop your negativity now, I will ignore you for the rest of my life." He then pulled away which only made me slap the hell out of him for even saying that.

I lowered my head afraid to show him my tears. He tried lifting my head up, but I denied and brought it down again. 

"Hanna," Key insisted.

"Key.." I began, sniffled, then huffed out a breath of air to speak about," If I start to act more positive and be more happy from now on, will you visit me sooner?"

I noticed his fists were tightening and untightening again, symbolizing his stress and him trying to hold in his emotions again. I didn't look up until he replied.

"Of course, I will visit you as soon as possible," his voice cracked, and his left hand lifted up to his face, then back down. I took in another puff of air then tried to follow his offer. I flipped my hair back, with enough time to wipe off my tears, then smiled a wide grin in front of Key's face. I almost broke down again when I saw his eyes watering and slightly turn red, but I decided to ignore that fact and just smile happily in front of Key.

"This is only a temporary good-bye Key! Why are you crying? We'll see each other soon again, okay? You promised you would visit me, like you said, okay? You better not break your promise! ... Okay," I stayed strong and grinned at him. 

Key pulled me into another quick, warmful embrace and held onto me for only a few seconds. 

"I won't," he softly said," I'll return and visit you. I promise."

I closed my eyes to prevent myself crying even more. I just nodded against his chest and gave him a tight-squeezed hug. 

We finally let go and looked up at each other with happy eyes and a happy grin. 

"Good-bye Hanna," Key waved and backed away a bit.

My heart was slowly crippling with every step backwards he took, but I promised him that I would smile and stay positive from now on so that he would return faster. I took my last remaining strength and lifted my hand to wave back at him.

"Good-bye Key! See you later!" I grinned and watched him as he took small steps backwards. 

He smiled at me one last time, and I smiled warmly towards him for one last time. But we both know that our separation isn't forever. We aren't far away from each other, we'll always stay by each others sides no matter what happens. Friend or not, the final decision will come later, when fate has given us the sign we'll be patiently waiting for. 

Key turned around and continued to distance himself farther down the sidewalk. I couldn't watch him leave again, so I turned towards the car and got inside. 

This is only a temporary good-bye Hanna. This is only a temporary good-bye.