Chapter 11

Too Many Worlds

 

“You shouldn’t be there,” Kris says, adjusting his voice in a way that calms you down, slowly, but surely. 

“Kris-ssi,” You fumble for his hand and take it, gripping it as you asked.  “You, you knew?”

After a moment’s hesitation, Kris answers.  “I knew, and know,”

“Why—? You—? Aren’t you, I mean, what—?” You stuttered, dumbfounded.

“I noticed that Rin never says that she loves me.  From the beginning, from the moment we were engaged, she, I could see from her eyes, that she didn’t have any feelings, for me,” Kris says.  You grimace at the pain in his voice.  “But I, for the woman she is, not for Park Rin, but for Rin, I fell in love with her.  So deeply that her happiness is mine, even though it means to have me crushed,”

You shake your head at the twisted logic.  Maybe it’s true.  People do crazy things when they’re in love.

“Ho—how did you find out?” You ask him.  Why are you trembling?

“His shoes were by the door when I came in.  She wasn’t expecting me, and well, you could imagine,” Kris bitterly says.  “Only recently did I find out that that guy was your boyfriend.  That’s why, you couldn’t be at the apartment when he was in there.  I was hurt, and I don’t want you to get hurt like I did.  So when I saw your car by the parking lot, I rushed over to the apartment and stopped you from knowing,” He breathes in.  “I’m sorry.  You, were terrified, weren’t you?”

You press your lips together. 

“Chen, Chen told me,” Kris continues. 

Yes.  You are blind, and without your hearing, you are nothing.  And you don’t want to be nothing.  Hearing is the only thing you can count on, as it provides you with the condition of your surroundings.  Your touch was second to hearing.  If you can’t hear, you can’t know.

Without your hearing, you are completely blind.

That is your fear; to not be able to hear.

“I’m sorry, agasshi,” Chen says very quietly, but enough for your ears to catch.

“Jongdae, you too, knew?”

At this, Kris clears his throat.  It was getting uncomfortable.

“I—“ Chen starts, but decides against what he was about to say, and continues instead.  “Yes,”

The pieces at the apartment comes together now.  The material of the ‘coat your sister bought because it caught her eye by a shop’s window’ was actually Baekhyun’s coat.  The perfume that passes right under your nose when you made your way in that day was Baekhyun’s. 

People tell you that from behind, you and your sister are indifferent. 

That explains how Baekhyun keeps going “Guess who,” when he sees you from behind.

Because you resemble your sister.

Because you resemble the woman he truly loves.

“Haha,” You laugh as the tears poured back out.  “I guess I am blind.  And stupid.  And naive,” Your cheeks shook as you tried a smile.  “Thank you, Kris-ssi.  Thank you, Jongdae.  For letting me know,”

You remember how Chen hesitates for a milisecond when you tell him that Baekhyun’s twitch is disturbing your mind.  And then how he doesn’t say anything when you explain further. 

As unacceptable as it was, Chen had every reason to keep the truth from you.  You understood. 

Because the truth hurts.  Very much.

 

Hey guys

Your predictions were true

I kind of cried when I wrote these recent chapters

Idk maybe just because i'm too much of a sentiment

but it would really hurt if it happened in reality, wouldn't it?