The history tutor

The Apple of my eyes.

 

A day had passed since Hyeri was accused of stealing a rabbit from the school lab.

She had been let off due to the lack of evidence. Chanmi had incriminate her.

 

Despite all this, Hyeri remained her calm self. She was not the type to stress about things and let it drag on for days. If she is angry she'll only be mad in the heat of the moment. She thinks that all this is a waste of her life and that it shouldn't be a bother to her.

 

However, there's been one thing, scratch that, one person that she just can't seem to get her mind off. Ever since yesterday in the infirmary, she kept on thinking about Lee Songjung. She had hated him before but she wouldn't keep on ruminating about him. Something feels odd but she just can't put her hands on it.

 

It was History lesson again. Hyeri grumble as her most unfavorable subject is about to begin. Mrs Lee, who was the history and homeroom teacher, walks in. She took out a sheet of paper and spoke.

 

'Class, before I begin I'd like to announce that I will also use the partner learning method for my class. So, I will decide your respective partners. From my observation on the partners arranged by Ms Hana, I think that the partners have all been well matched according to your abilities. Therefore, I will only change a few of your partners.' she stated before continuing to call out the names that will switch partners.

 

After a few minutes of talking and deciding, the partners were all formed. Hyeri was really worried because she knew how bad she was in this particular subject and prayed that she won't have to be matched with someone who might blackmail her with this weakness of hers.

 

Much to Hyeri's surprised, she is still Songjung's partner. It took a while before a brain wave hit her. How could she forget? She had heard that Songjung is the ace when it comes to History and who better to be his partner then she, herself who barely pass the papers every exam. Moreover, he is the son of a History teacher, how can he not be the ace? Despite her mighty ego when it comes to her studies, she still knows her weaknesses. She at History big time.

 

'I know this is all sudden but I would like to stick to this partner learning method for the year and see if that'll improve your marks.' she then continued with the lesson.

 

'Since we had just finished Chapter 2 last week, I would like you to discuss about it with your respective partners. Those who have understood it clearly please help your partners.' as soon as Mrs Lee finished her instructions, Songjung turned towards Hyeri.

 

'So, have you got Chapter 2 all covered?' he asked with a gentle smile.

Hyeri gave a blank expression. She was completely lost throughout the whole chapter but she can't possibly say that. She continued to stare.

'Okay, so let's start doing some exercise to see if you have memorize all the facts,' he began and picked up one of his books.

 

'Since, this is my book. I'll start by questioning you and then it’s your turn. Let's start,' Hyeri started to feel nervous. She knew that this is it. The moment the smart Hyeri turns into a complete idiot. She took a deep breath and prayed that he won't laugh too hard when the truth is revealed.

 

'Who was the first queen in the Joseon Dinasty and how long did she live?'

 

The moment she heard the question, she hesitated whether to answer or not.

'Should I just answer randomly and laugh it off when its wrong? Or should I confess that I'm hopeless when it comes to History?'

Finally she decided to admit her flaws.

 

'Songjung-ah, don't laugh but . . . . actually i have no clue about History,' she confessed. She quickly looked down due to the embarrassment. She was so ashamed of herself. She was about to cry but then she heard a scribbling sound. She lifted her head and saw Songjung writing on a blank piece of paper.

 

She stared at him. 'Did he hear me just now?' she mused.

'Okay, Hyeri-ah. I've decided. I'm gonna tutor you History from today onwards.' he suddenly spoke followed by a sweet smile.

 

'By the way i already knew how bad you were in History,' he said with a gave her his killer wink. Hyeri flushed and looked away. She was startled by his actions.

 

'So, from now on I'm officially your history tutor. I hope you work hard so that I won't look bad,' he continued.

Hyeri just listened attentively. She never would have expected that kind of response. She never really thought about getting a tutor anyway, so she just agreed. If it is a success she won’t have to worry about others finding out.

 

It was break time. Since Hoon was still busy with his science report, Hyeri decided to eat at the rooftop again. As she was heading out, her path was blocked. She lifted her head to find Songjung standing less than a meter in front of her with a couple of history books in his hands.

 

'Are you going to the cafe? Cause it'll be hard to study there,'

She looked at Songjung with a puzzled look.

 

'What do you mean by study?' she asked.

 

'Since I am your tutor I'm gonna make sure that you use all your time wisely and eventually you'll catch up to where we are in learning history.' he answered with a grin on his face.

 

Hyeri could feel her world darkening. 'Did he say study history?' Her eyes widen.

 

'You can't be serious? You're telling me that you are gonna spend break time with me teaching history?' Songjung nodded.

Hyeri closed her eyes and tried to pretend that all this is a nightmare. 'This is not true. He's just joking,' she tried to calm herself.

 

She opened her eyes and saw Songjung still standing in front of her. She sighed. She knew that she's gonna have to learn history sooner or later.

'Okay, fine,'

'Great, now let's fine some place to study,'

'Wait, I'm gonna eat at the rooftop. I think that's a good place. The last time I went there, I was all alone. So there won’t be too many distractions,'

'Rooftop eh? Hmm.. sounds great. Okay, so let's head there,' he then lead the way.

 

As soon as they reach the rooftop, Hyeri inhaled deeply. She enjoys the cool and refreshing air. She then sat down at a corner and began unpacking her lunch box. Just as she was about to eat, her eyes caught sight of Songjung standing beside her. She lifts her head and gave a puzzled look.

 

'What's wrong? Why aren't you sitting?' she asked.

'Oh? Nothing,' he muttered before taking a seat next to Hyeri. He just look at Hyeri while she munch her food.

 

Hyeri was so absorb in eating that she had almost forgotten about Songjung. She quickly stop eating and wipe . She then turn to Songjung.

'I'm sorry. I was so hungry. Hope it’s not too late but, . . do you want some?' she offered as she held out a sandwich in her hand.

'Sure, thanks,' he took the sandwich and began munching on it.

 

Hyeri was about to resume eating hers when she noticed some sauce on Songjung's cheeks.

Without much thought, she leaned towards Songjung to wipe it off.

Songjung flinch at the sight of Hyeri inching closer to him. He almost choked on his food.

 

'Stop moving will you,' she ordered. Songjung froze. He had no idea why but he just felt obligated to her command.

Hyeri's hand reach out for the boy's cheeks and within a few seconds the mess was cleaned. She then continued eating as if nothing happened. On the other hand, Songjung was completely shocked and confound to the point where he felt as if he was paralyzed.

 

He stared at Hyeri with extreme perplexity. As he was staring, Hyeri suddenly turn her head and they made eye contact. It was only for two seconds. Songjung immediately shift his gaze towards a building located at the south east of the school. His heart was beating crazily.

 

'Songjung-ah' he flinched at his name being called ever so softly. He slowly turned his head.

'Are you done eating? . . I mean, we still have time to you know, . . . study,' he looked at her blankly. It took a while before it hit him. He had forgotten about teaching her history because of her actions. He glanced at Hyeri before taking a deep and long breath. He finally calmed himself. He shook away all other thoughts and began teaching her. He started from the beginning and explained to her every detail to make sure she understands completely.

Hyeri just listened to her 'tutor' and tried her best to digest all the information.

 

Time flew by and break time was over. Songjung quickly wrap up the lesson and they both headed back to class.