Framed

The Apple of my eyes.

 

It was a cold morning and the students were told to gather in the school hall for an emergency meeting. Hyeri took a seat in the middle of the hall. A few minutes later, Hoon joined her. The hall started to crowd as students swarm in. Then, the discipline teacher walks in and took the stage.

‘Thank you all for gathering today. I will make this short so that you can return to your class as soon as possible. Okay,the reason why I gathered you all here is to inform you all about a theft that happened in the school lab last week’.

The crowd of students start whispering. The teacher cleared his throat and continued

‘The stolen object is a rabbit’. A burst of laughter came about through the hall.

‘Sshh, students calm down. As funny as it seems, one of you have definitely stolen the rabbit. Even though it’s not a billion dollar worth jewelry it’s still a crime to steal bunnies. So, I would like the culprit to admit his or her wrong doings and  return the rodent by this Thursday. It is school property and it is an essential tool for your education.’ Hyeri just stared at the teacher in disbelief.

‘What kind of person would wanna bring home a rabbit?’

‘Most likely, that person have a huge desire to have one as a pet?’ Hoon answered sarcastically to her question.

‘Yeah~ you’re probably right’

‘Okay, so students you are dismissed. You must return immediately to your respective classrooms’ and with that the teacher went off stage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was Social Studies but the teacher had taken a day off after being involved for some sort of sport activities out of town. The class was left unattended. Everyone was minding their own business. Hyeri was about to sketch after completing her homework when suddenly a palm slammed on her table on top of her sketch book. Hyeri lifted her head to see the owner of this rude hands. It was Chanmi.

‘Yah! Han Hyeri! You dare steal my Songjung and now you’re stealing the school’s rabbit?! You sly fox! I knew you were someone like this. All this while you waited in silence and kept a low profile and then you strike. I loathe people like you’ she started.

A screeching sound produced by Hyeri’s chair can be heard. She had stood up to stand her ground.

‘On what base do you have to randomly accuse me?’ she asked with an intimidating look on her face. Chami was startled. She never expected her to fight back but somehow she managed to keep her calm.

‘Why? Did I say anything wrong? You are obviously a thief and once a thief, always a thief,’ she continued. Hyeri sneered.

‘Did you really think that I stole Songjung from you? It’s so obvious that he doesn’t like you and yet you are brain-washing yourself and making me the bad guy. I sympathy you,’ she continued to sneer. She was expressing all the bitterness that she felt from the insult in a mocking way.

Chanmi looked at her with her eyes widen as though she had just saw a ghost. ‘How could she be so bold?’ she never imagined Hyeri would be this kind of person. There was a long silence. Hyeri and Chanmi stood face to face. Hyeri was waiting for Chanmi to respond while Chanmi was searching for a good comeback line.

‘What’s the matter? Speechless?’ Hyeri lifted an eyebrow in mockery.

As soon as Chanmi was about to speak, the Maths teacher went into the classroom causing all the students to quickly move back to their respective places. Chanmi and her friends followed. Hyeri sat down. ‘Phew~ What the heck is wrong with that girl?’ she sighed.

*RING~ the bell rang indicating that it was break time. All of students started to head for the cafeteria. 

‘Hyeri-ah, I heard you’re conversation with Chanmi just now. Wow~ you’re really brave. Daebak!,’ Hoon exclaimed.

‘Oh? Well, she was asking for it,’

‘She's really something. I mean, sudddenly approaching you and all. Did she seriously accuse you?’

‘Yeah~ I know right? I just can’t believe her. Anyway, let’s go and eat.’ Hyeri began searching in her bag for something. She then pulled out a lunch box.

‘Oh about that, I gotta settle something with Ms Hana about my science report. I don’t think I can spend break time with you this whole week,’ he said regretfully.

‘What? Why? Was it that bad?’

‘Apparently it was that bad. So, see you later,’ he left the classroom and headed towards the staff room. She sighed.

‘I don’t think I should eat at the café today. Too risky’ she then started to walk. Before she knew it, she was at the roof top. She was captivated by the clear blue sky and scenery of the buildings around the school. She breathes in the fresh air and exhales. Her lips formed a grin.

She began to unpack the lunch box that she had made this morning and enjoyed the food alone. She had never felt so peaceful. After she had finished her food, she looked into the box and smiled widely. She picked up the apple that she had brought and sliced it with a knife that she had also brought along in the box.

‘Nothing like eating apples and enjoying a cool breeze on the roof top,’ the sweetness of the apple definitely took away all her anger and frustrations. It was as though she was having a spa treatment. She glanced at her watch and started to pack her things. Break time was almost over.

She quickly headed down the stairway towards her class. As she was walking, her path was suddenly blocked by a familiar figure.

‘Yah, you thief! When are you gonna admit it?’ Chanmi glared at her with flaming eyes as she was trying to get even with her. Hyeri was taken back. ‘Why is she still trying to get on my nerves?’ she asked herself. She was starting to get annoyed. Before she could say a word, the discipline teacher walks towards her.

‘Han Hyeri. Is it true what she said?’ he gestured towards Chanmi who was smirking. Hyeri was puzzled.

‘According to her, she said you were the only the person in the classroom during break time on the day the rabbit was stolen,’ he continued. Hyeri was even more confused. She is trying to make out what the teacher wants from her.

‘Yah! Just admit it and return the rabbit!,’ Chanmi suddenly exploded.

‘Okay, you come with me. The rest of you please return back to your classroom,’ the teacher then grabbed Hyeri’s wrist and took her to the discipline office. Hyeri was bewildered. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

‘Take a deep breath and tell me. Did you really steal the rabbit last week?’ he asked with a serious tone.

‘Of course not. Why would I steal a bunny?’

‘Then why where you in the classroom alone?’

‘I just didn’t feel like coming down to eat that day’ she answered with a straight face.  She can’t see how her spending break time in the class alone is linked to the theft. She began to place all the pieces together.

It suddenly dawned upon her that she’s being suspected. She had seen this sort of scene in those CSI: Crime Scene Investigation shows. ‘Oh my gosh! If I don’t have an alibi, they’ll charge me for a theft that I clearly did not do!’ She screamed in her head.

The teacher began to scrutinize her. Probably thinking how to make her confess. A chill ran down her spine. She felt really nervous and scared. She thought of all the possibilities that she might have to face if she can’t prove her innocence.

There was a long silence in the room. It was as if an investigation for a top murder case was being held and Hyeri was a first offender who didn’t want to confess. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Songjung Focus

The class was noisy. Everyone was busy talking and chatting. There was no teacher to be seen. Songjung walks in and took his seat beside Songyeol.

‘Hey, what’s up? Did something happen?’                               

‘Dude, you missed it. The discipline teacher walked in a few minutes ago and took Hyeri with him. They say that she is the culprit. Who would’ve thought?’

Songjung flinched upon hearing Hyeri's name. He stared at Songyeol with disbelief. He then shook his head.

‘Whoa~ for a second there I thought I heard you said Hyeri was the culprit,’

‘She is.’ Songjung gave a puzzled look at his best friend. He was struck. 

‘You know, Han Hyeri, you’re new lab partner,’ he continued with a calm face.

‘What?!’ he exploded. The class became silent. All eyes were on him. He stood up immeadiately.

‘Yah, Songjung-ah. What’s wrong?’ Songyeol was startled by Songjung's sudden action.

‘Where is she now?’ he asked anxiously.

‘Discipline office. Why? What are you gonna do?’ before he could even finish the sentence Songjung had already left the classroom and ran across the hallway.

He finally reached the discipline office and stopped in front of the door. He was sweating and panting. His heart was beating fast due to the spontaneous exercise. He finally caught his breath and opened the door. 

There was no one inside. He started to panic. His brain began to think of all the places that she could possible be. He just felt that he needs to be by her side at this moment. He continued to run in search for her. As he race down the hallway, he almost hit a teacher who was coming out from the staff room. Luckily, he managed to break a few steps away from the teacher. 

'Songjung-ah, what are you doing here?' he turned his head at the familiar voice and realized that the teacher was his mom.

'Mom! Sorry, I was just searching for someone,' he managed to utter before continuing to pant. 

Mrs Lee went to his son and asked him to explain himself. He was hesistant at first, as he knew he had no good reason to be searching for a random girl throughout the school. Eventually, he told her but not everything. He mentioned that he was with her during the theft so she is definitely not the culprit. He also revealed that he was just trying to get on good terms with her by helping her prove her innocence. 

After calming down, Mrs Lee and Songjung headed to class 1-A to solve the matter. Upon reaching the corridor, they spotted two girls just outside of the classroom. They seem to be arguing. Songjung's heart began to beat faster as he had made out the identity of the girls as they got closer. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: I'm so sorry for the late update and i hope this chapter is .. well uh, good. I think this has got to be the longest chapter so far. I'll try my best to update as soon as i can and finish this story. I hope you're not bored with this fic yet.. Please don't be... I'm trying my best to make this fic as interesting as possible.. 

Forgive me for any major grammatical errors. If you're kind enough do post on the comment section my mistakes. This will be a great help for me to improve my writing skills. Thank you. ^-^