Absence

The Apple of my eyes.

 

Hyeri woke up with a sore throat and a runny nose. She groaned as was incredibly itchy. She tried to recall anything that could give her answers concerning her awful condition. Hyeri was not one who would fall ill easily.

It then occurred to her that the last time she got a cold was when she pulled an all-nighter finishing up a school project. Its due to lack of sleep! Hyeri has always been an early sleeper. She would make sure that her 6 hours of sleep is always fulfilled.

Last night she could hardly remember what time it was before she finally drifted off. In other words she was restless. Even after she fell asleep, she woke up about an hour later only to go to the toilet.

Finally, after she figured out the cause she tried to reason whether to stay at home and rest for the day or risk it at school.

"But, if I don't go to school today, my perfect attendance record so far will be tarnished," she mused as she tried to reach a decision. The headache and blocked nose somehow prevented her from thinking clearly.

The door opened and Mrs Han walked in.

"Hyeri-yah, you're still in bed? Get up now, or you'll be- my goodness! you're having a temperature," her mother began to fuss about after she touched Hyeri's forehead.

Just as Hyeri was about to protest and say something, her mother beat her to it.

"Hyeri, I want you to just lay in bed and take the medicine that I'll give you later. Have plenty of rest. And what did you this time?"

Hyeri's head was beginning to feel heavy as the cold's effect started to kick in. She looked at her mother sympathetically trying to tell her that she's in no condition to explain.

Being the considerate mother, she nodded understandingly before heading to the kitchen to prepare her daughter a nice warm bowl of porridge.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Songyeol?"

"Present,"

"Yuri?"

"Present,"

"Hyeri?"

". . . "

Mrs Lee looked up at her students.

"Han Hyeri? Is she absent?" she asked while scanning through the classroom for the said girl.

Songjung's head quickly turned towards the direction of Hyeri's desk.

"Hyeri is absent? What happened? I thought I'm the one who got hurt," he pondered as he recalled seeing her completely fine the day before.

"Okay, so let's proceed with today's lesson," Mrs Lee said after she finished doing the role-call and began to distribute some handouts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was break time. Songjung went straight to the rooftop. Somehow, just being in the vast empty lot rejuvenates him. He walked to the edge of building and breathed in fresh air. He looked out at the view of the city and propped himself on his elbow. A creaking sound was heard and he knew that someone just opened the door.

"I knew you'd be here," a voice called out. Songjung didn't have to turn around to figure out who the voice belonged to.

Hoon walked and stood beside Songjung. He also stared off into the view. The sky was clear and the sun's going easy on them today. The two guys were just standing behind the chest high fence. They both remained quiet for a while before Hoon started a conversation.

"Guess you got the chocolates yesterday, huh?"

"Of course, I got chocolates yesterday. Well duh, it was Valentines wasn't it?"

"I'm not talking about those chocolates. I'm talking about the one Hyeri gave you. Or . . .did she not give you any?"

Songjung jerked backwards and stared at Hoon in surprized to which Hoon just raised an eyebrow.

"Yah, how do you know that? Were you spying on us?!" Songjung gasped and pointed his index finger at Hoon.

"Songjung-ah, for your info, I have a life too. So, why would I waste my time to go spying on my friends at school on Valentines. And another thi- yah will you stop pointing at me like that!"he brushed away songjung's finger

"-As I was saying, you're not the only one who received Hyeri's chocolates yesterday. There, I said it," Hoon tugged his collar and fixed his loosen tie.

"What do you mean by that?" Songjung gave him a puzzled look that begged for an explanation.

"What? You still don't get it? I got one too!" he waved his hands in the air before pointing to himself.

"Like what? Seriously?" Songjung asked doubting his words.

"Are you for real dude? Why would I be lying to you about something like this?"

"I dunno," Songjung shrugged but his suspicious face still maintained. Hoon sighed and shook his head.

"Look, Songjung-ah. I know that you like her and all so-"

"Whoa! Who told you that?!"

Songjung was alarmed by the fact that he likes Hyeri being revealed.

"Yah, are you for real? It’s so obvious you're head over heels for the girl," Hoon's direct comment immediately caused Songjung to be flushed.

"What?! When.. How .. Did you.. See.. Ughh..," Songjung was mumbling and stammering in his words. He was flabbergasted and bewildered by what Hoon just told him. He cupped his faced and squat on the floor.

"What are you doing?" Hoon asked him.

"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm trying to hide my embarrassment because you found out that I have a crush on Hyeri!" Hoon cocked his head to one side trying to understand what he was saying because Songjung's words were a bit muffled as his face was completely covered with his palms.

Hoon continued to look at the boy with extreme perplexity.

"Is this guy for real?" he mused at the thought as he looked at Songjung who looked like he was weeping.

They stayed in that position for a few minutes before Hoon decided to do something about it.

"This has got to stop! Songjung-ah, get up!" he ordered.

"I don't want too," he whined. Hoon was serious so he went to Songjung and grabbed his arm. He pulled him up on his feet.

"Get a grip! What the heck is wrong with you? I haven't even get to my point yet and you're being-" Hoon gestured towards Songjung's current condition trying to figure out a word to describe it "-Well Whatever it is that you're doing, its making it harder," Hoon exploded.

Songjung brushed some dust off his clothes and looked at Hoon after getting some sense knocked back.

"So, what is your point then?"

"Alright then. I came all the way here because I knew you'd be here. So, since we both got chocolates from Hyeri that means that she can't choose between us. Therefore, I'm suggesting we-"

"Whoa, hold on a second there. Wait, WE? Why are we- oh wait! You like her too?!" Songjung gasped before covering his mouth in astonishment.

Hoon stared at him with a slightly annoyed face.

"Way to state the obvious smarty pants. In case you haven't notice we're rivals too," Hoon replied in a mocking tone.

"Ah, wait. This is too much for me to handle in one day," Songjung began fanning himself to which Hoon just lifted an eyebrow at.

"Look, I don't really care about how you feel right now so I'm just gonna give it to you straight. I'm not gonna back down and give up on her," and with that Hoon brushed past the other male and dissapeared into the staircase.

Songjung blinked his eyes precariously and watched until his back was no longer in view.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Songjung POV

"Look, I don't really care about how you feel right now so I'm just gonna give it to you straight. I'm not gonna back down and give up on her," he said and headed to the staircase leaving me completely lost. I cocked my head to a side and blinked trying to make out what just happened.

Slowly I squat down and began recalling back the conversation. It’s not like I'm forgetful or anything, it’s just that the conversation and everything went by too fast for me to even think before reacting.

okay, let’s see now. Hoon came to me. He said something about choco- Ah, right. He said he received chocolates from Hyeri too. Hold on a second, why would he receive chocolates from Hyeri?

Does that makes sense?

Is she cheating on me? No, wait. We don't really have a relationship like that yet for her to cheat on me. I let out a deep sigh.

I got up as anxiousness slowly builds in me. I paced around trying to figure out the reason.

Maybe, she accidentally gave him! Yeah, she meant it for me and was too embarrassed or shy to say it was for another guy! Or . . . She could give it out of obligations as a friend. Hmmm.. As I was still pondering, the bell rang and I immediately stood up.

Well, I guess I'll just have to ask her myself later. I then walked back to the classroom to find the others leaving? I quickly walked towards Songyeol.

"Hey, where's everybody going?" I asked him eyeing his hands that were full with books.

"Science lab, duh. You definitely forgot today's timetable didn't you? I told you to stop catching those late night thrillers. Look what they've done to you," my friend nagged at me.

"I was just- hey! I don't need you to tell me what shows to watch. I love the thrill from those horror movies," I replied while searching through my bag for science books.

"Whatever, you better hurry up then. Don't wanna be locked out of the lab. Toodles~" and with that he vanished out the hallway. I quickly grabbed my pencil case and made a run for it. Ms Hana is getting pretty stressed out lately. Youths is probably getting on her nerves especially since Valentines was so near.

Phew~ made it just in time. I sat at my usual spot and soon class began.

 .  .  .

Arteries have a small lumen as to allow blood to flow under high pressure. It has ventricles as to prevent back flow.

Man, today's lesson is pretty dull. I always thought that learning about the heart would be a bit exciting to the point of skipping a heartbeat. (ignore the lame pun)

Well, Ms Hana is doing a fine job at making my life boring especially with that monotone. I looked out the glass window. The sky was pretty clear and it brought me back to yesterday's scene.

"I hope you like it. It’s my first time baking chocolates and I think it turned out pretty good," she stared onto the floor looking very shy. It warmed my heart seeing her flushed face.

"Then, I'll be sure to enjoy every bite of it," I looked at the beautifully wrapped box with my name attached onto it.

"Ah, by the way, why did you ask me to meet you?" she asked.

"Oh that... Uhh.. The thing is.. I . . I wanted to-"

BAM!

I jerked at the loud sound and just like that all flashbacks dissipate in the air. My attention was driven back to the source of the noise. Ms Hana was picking up a huge metal casing that seemed to have dropped on the floor.

"Aish~ Darn. Hmm.. Well kids, I'm sorry but I guess the heart anatomy here does not seem to be functioning well. So, we'll just take a look at the mechanism of the lungs," she said while clearly picking up some pieces from the broken heart anatomy. I sighed. Seriously, Ms Hana really needs help with her life. Not to be a busy body but she's so out of it lately.

"Ms Hana there's only 6 lungs anatomy," a girl spoke to which Ms Hana quickly replied.

"Ah right. I want to get in groups of four now," she then lifted the metal box and carried it to the back room.

I got up and turned to Songyeol hoping he saved me a spot. But there he was, standing beside Yuri, the girl of his dreams. Well, guess his group is full. What a great pal I have. Ignore the loner friend and get the girl. I sighed. I don't know why but today's science class is really depressing. I wasn't interested in science to begin with. Why today of all times when Hyeri is absent?

I shook my head and dragged my feet searching for any group with an empty spot.

"Songjung-ah, here!" I heard a familiar voice calling my name.

"Huh?"

"You can join us if you want. I think we're gonna be a trio though since Hyeri is absent,"

"Okay, sure. Thanks ChanMi," I walked over to their table where a glass bell jar containing the lungs anatomy was placed and a slightly annoyed Hoon was . . . plotting? He looked like he's planning on murdering somebody with those eyes and smirk. Especially when his face is propped on his elbows. I gulped and prayed that he's not aiming for me.

"Are you okay, Songjung?"

"Huh?"

"You don't look so good. If you're uncomfortable being around me I don't blame you. I'm sorry for being such a brat earlier this year," she confessed.

"No, no. It’s okay. I'm fine. Just a bit .... Um- hey what's wrong with him?" I pointed at Hoon's direction with my left index finger while my right palm covers half my face to avoid suspicions from the other male.

"Ah, Hoon? I don't know. He's been like that ever since recess. I'm guessing he got rejected yesterday but then again, I saw a girl confessing to him. Maybe not then," she whispered to me getting my point of not wanting him to hear our conversation.

"Okay, everyone is in their group now? All you have to do is simple. Just click on the buttons at the bottom right side of the glass jar. But you have to make sure its plugged in first. These lungs model are new and I'm proud to tell you that you're one of the first classes to be able to use it," she said and the lab echoed with aws.

"But I want you to make notes on what you observe and understand its mechanism. Okay, you may begin,"

I glanced at the machine and watched as ChanMi pressed the on button. There was a clank sound and soon you could see the lungs expand and deflate. Heck, you can even see the rib cage moving upwards and the diaphragm too. Wow, definitely high tech stuff. That has got to be the most interesting thing so far.

"Oh what does this button do?"

I looked at the skull signed button which usually meant deadly or poison. Hoon quickly shook his head and began jotting down notes.

ChanMi looked at me to which I responded.

"Well, they probably made that for a purpose," and quickly pressed the button. ChanMi gasped and Hoon dropped his pencil.

 Another clank sound was heard and the bell jar slowly became cloudy and misty.

"Yah, what did you do?! You're gonna break it," Hoon yelled at me.

"No wait, look. The lungs is still moving. And look here to at the temperature screen. It’s getting hotter in there. Is anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?" she sounded rather joyous and excited compared to Mr. Grumpy pants here.

"Wow, you ... Did .. Good," Hoon said with some slight pauses in between. I followed them and stared at the bell jar confused. What was ChanMi thinking, anyway.

Suddenly there was a loud coughing sound that came from the ... Bell jar?

ChanMi clapped her hands in excitement while Hoon just nodded completely amused by it.

"Who would have thought it came with an audio? I mean, the smoking thing was already amazing but this is just .. Wow!"

Just like that it hit me. Oh, so that cloudy thing was the smoke from smoking? Wow, then it’s totally displaying the effect of smoking in such a cool way. I quickly grabbed my notebook and made some notes on it.

Soon it was over and we were heading back to class. I was walking when someone catches up behind me.

"Yo, flower boy. Slow down!" I turned around to find Hoon catching up to me. I gave him a puzzled look on his actions.

"Don't get yourself wrong. I just have something to say," he said with a hushed tone.

"So, what I'm trying to say that we both can't get the girl, right? Therefore I'm suggesting we compete you know. Like some sort of race," he looked at anticipatingly to which I replied him with a poker face. I don't like the way he talks. I mean, why do I have to compete with this guy for 'the girl' who clearly has a name. My lack of reaction allowed him to continue.

"Since, the sports match is coming up soon. Wanna race?" he asked me and we took a left turn down the hallway.

"No," my short and absolute answer took him aback.

"What? Why? Don't tell me, . . you're afraid of losing?" 

"For your info, strength and stamina has got nothing to do with getting Hyeri!" I hissed at him after being rudely accused of scared or maybe intimidated. 

"Then what?"

"We ask her out. Simple as that,"

"Okay, How about we ask her out but our date has to be the same place and time? That way she'll have to choose either one,"

"Fine. Agreed,"

"Cool,"

And just like that, my mission to ask Hyeri out begins. It didn't really occurred to me how until I got back home. Aahhhh!! I'm doomed! How am I supposed to ask her out?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[A/N]

I just want to thank all of my subscribers and loyal readers for making it this far. Honestly I don't think this chapter turned out pretty well. I get the feeling that my writing style is different here compared to the previous chapters. And since i don't think I'll be updating soon I made it really long. (i hope it's long -_-')

While i was writing this chapter, most of the time i wasn't really in a good condition (hence the lame pun inserted >~<) ..So, yeah. Forgive me if it completely destroyed your expectations!! Gomenasai~ TT~TT I'll try my best to do way better in the next chapter. Fighting! 

I love you all~ <3