Unnie's Friend

The Apple of my eyes.

 

It was 6pm and Hyeri just got out of the candy store after buying her apple-flavored lollipop. She glanced at her watch and decided to go straight home because she was running late. She the lollipop throughout the whole way back.

'I'm home~' she declared as she went through the main doors. She then went upstairs and changed only to go downstairs again to help her mom with dinner.

'Hye-euna, please arrange the bowls at the dining table dear,' her mom ordered her. Hyeri stared at her mom.

'I'm Hyeri mom.' she said and abruptly took the bowls and walked towards the dining table. She sighed and took a deep breath to control her anger. ‘Relax, Hyeri. Don’t get mad. Its not her fault,’ she tried to calm herself. She then went back into the kitchen and continued helping her mom.

'Hye-euna please taste this soup for me and tell me what is it lacking,'

'Its Hyeri mom! I'm Hyeri. Han Hyeri not Hye-eun Unnie!,' she exploded all of the sudden.

'Oh, I'm sorry dear~ I know you're Hyeri. I guess it must've slipped my tongue,' her mom explained.

'Right sorry Mom. I didn’t mean to raise my voice,' Hyeri quickly apologized after the sudden outburst and finished her chores.

'Hyeri-ah. I'm sorry dear. Why don't you be a good girl and call your sister and her friends,' her mother spoke softly.

Hyeri just went upstairs without uttering a single word. She knocked the door before opening the door to her sister's room.

'Yah! Hye-euna, dinner is ready. Get down now!' she ordered  her sister who was busy writing.

'Hey, aren't you being a little rude here!' the red-headed girl beside Hye-eun spoke.

Hyeri just rolled her eyes at her comment. She was too annoyed to say anything back because she knew what’s good for her.

'It's okay, Hyeri-ah don't mind her. T-ae's just having a hard time doing the math problem. Come on, let's go downstairs first,' the girl on Hye-eun's left spoke to her gently and stood up.

'I knew you would listen to me Bora unnie~,' Hyeri said and began walking downstairs with her.

 

So, Hyeri and Bora went downstairs first and sat at the table. Moments later, T-ae and Hye-eun followed. Throughout dinner, T-ae wouldn't shut up. She was telling everyone how her day went and what new gossip she had heard. But, it wasn't a rare sight. She has always been this cheerful and childish. Not to mention a blabber mouth.

While she was talking, Hyei would often be annoyed but ever spoke anything about it. This is usually when Bora would come in and save her. She would make small conversations with Hyeri to distract her and make her smile. She's the long black-haired girl who is a bit tanned but extremely pretty friend. She is really fond of Hyeri. Probably because she doesn't have a little sister so she would always dote on Hyeri.

 

It has always been like this ever since the three of them (including Hye-eun) became best friends. They were best friends since elementary school. So, it’s not a surprise if Bora and T-ae call Mr. and Mrs Han 'Mom and Dad'.

They would often come to Hye-eun’s house to study together. The three of them have a lot in common. They are smart, athletic and are well-known among the prestigious school circle which causes Hyeri to suffer being labeled as the 'Excellent Trios' little sister.'

So, the pressure people put on Hyeri being the little sister to such excellent students was really burdensome. It was too much for her to handle achieving goals that were pre-set for her. The girls around her were too intimidated by the fact that she is the Excellent Trio’s little sister which caused her to be alone. And the fact that she does not know how to make friends does not help either. After much persuasion, she finally managed to free herself from the long, cold chains of 'expectations'.

 

And that is exactly why Hyeri and Hye-eun do not attend the same high school. Hyeri finds it much easier to breathe at a school where people do not only care about your academics achievements and reputation. Instead, people would judge each other based on their personalities and attitudes. Not to mention status and appearance. Nevertheless, she never regretted transferring school even if it means she has to walk to and from school every day. Besides, the distance isn’t that far and the road coincide with the candy store.