the outbrust

The Apple of my eyes.

 

*Ring~

'Finally,' Hyeri grabbed her lunch box and swiftly made her way to the rooftop. It had become her favourite spot. She would feel so peaceful and relaxed being up there. As she was chewing some rice, she sensed a figure standing behind her.

'You seem happy today,' a voice spoke. Hyeri immediately recognized the voice.

'Well, I'm no longer suspected of anything and my meal is delicious. So, why wouldn't I be?' she answered casually and continued to eat. She then turned around when the figure did not sit down. Songjung was standing with a couple of books in his arms. He stared at her with a worried look on his face.

‘Hey, what’s wrong?’

‘Nothing,’ he mumbled as he sat down beside her.

‘Seriously, what’s the matter? Just tell me,’ she tried to persuade him.

‘You wanna know what’s wrong? Okay, fine.’ He said before continuing

‘Do you have any idea how worried I was about you?! I thought you were having a hard time and all and yet you’re here eating your meal peacefully!’ he raised raised his voice and panted. His face was burning red.

Hyeri was stunned. She was definitely startled by his sudden outburst.

‘Songjung-ah~,’ was the only word that she could utter as tears began to form in her eyes.

She was suddenly terrified and felt really guilty. She was so frightened upon seeing Songjung’s angry face. It was the first time he had shown such a fierce look. They stared into each other eyes for quite some time before Songjung averted his gaze towards the floor.

For some weird reason, Hyeri felt like crying. She was about to when . .

‘I’m sorry. . . . . Don’t cry,’ she heard Songjung's voice, his sweet and soft voice. But, he was still facing the floor not lifting his head up even for a second. He looked remorseful. Hyeri just stared at him. She was confused.

A long silence filled the rooftop. The breeze was gentle as if trying to comfort a lost soul. They both didn’t spoke for quite some time. Hyeri also can’t seem to force a single word out . She then continued eating slowly. She just ate in silence as she watched Songjung stare into space. Just like that, break time ended.

As if they were telepathic, they both got up and headed back to class, in silence.

During class, Hyeri couldn’t focus one bit. Her mind was filled with the incident at the rooftop. ‘Why is this keep happening to me?’ she sighed and rested her head on her desk. She was completely lost. ‘Why did he get angry at me if he was worried about me?’ She would sometimes glance over at Songjung to observe him. He looked completely normal. ‘Is he even worried about me?’ ‘Arggh.. I don’t know anymore’

Class dragged on for long-enough-that-seems-to-be-like-forever until it was Science lesson. Hyeri had absolutely forgotten that they have science today. She was determined to fix this awkward tension between Songjung and her. It was the best solution after all considering the fact that they both are mentors for each other.

As it was science lesson, Hyeri quickly made her way to the lab. Soon after, Ms Hana walked in and started the lesson. But Songjung was nowhere to be seen. Everyone else was in the lab except for him. Hyeri was feeling anxious. ‘What happened to him? Why isn’t he here yet?’ she mused.. All of a sudden she thought ‘Oh my gosh! He can’t be skipping this class to avoid me, could he? Oh no! what if he doesn’t want to see my face again?’ she began to mumble and banged her head on the table. ‘What should I do? I’ve made him hate me,’ tears were about to flow down her cheeks when she heard a knock on the door.

‘I’m so sorry Ms Hana for being late. I had to help a visitor who was searching for the school office just now,’ he said. He was then dismissed and walked towards his seat. Hyeri looked in disbelief as the boy walked calmly towards her. He pulled back the chair and sat down beside her.

‘So what’d I miss?’ he asked and kindly offered her a smile. Hyeri, who had been observing him was still in a state of confusion. She stared at him with perplexity and gave him a really confused look. She was confounded by his sudden normal behavior.

'Look, I'm sorry about what happened at the rooftop. I don't know what got into me. Let's just pretend that it never happened, kay?' he pleaded.

Hyeri blinked a few times before putting on a smile. She didn't want the awkwardness to drag on so she agreed without putting much thought to it

'Okay' she grinned, glad that that was over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Science lesson ended peacefully. As they both were walking back to class, Songjung had excused himself and tol her that he had something to settle. So, Hyeri just walked alone before a familiar figure went up to her.

'Hey, how have you been?' she turned and gave him a sweet smile.

'I'm fine. How's your science report going?'

'It's good. Sometimes it gets hard but I'll just have to put up with it. Haven't seen you around lately,'

'What are you talking about? We're in the same class aren't we?'

'Well, yeah but it's hard spending time with you because of my flaws. You must've been really lonely, haven't you?'

'Actually, not really. I've been spending recess with Songjung the whole week,' she stated.

Hoon’s footstep stopped. He looked at his friend with disbelief.

'What? Did you say Songjung? As in Lee Songjung?'

'Yup. Why are you so surprised?'

'I thought you hated that jerk and you guys are nothing more than just class partners,' he asked curiously while scrunching his eyebrows.

'I know but that was before I knew him. He's actually a good guy like you. Besides, he teaches me History during break time. I think I'm slowly improving,' she smiled as she recalled their previous lesson. She was able to answer 7 questions right out of 10.

Hoon just looked at her with a worried look before entering the class to continue their lesson for the day. He let out a sigh.