Valentines - the day before.

The Apple of my eyes.

 

It was mid-February and the sky was clear. Hyeri fixed her hair into an auburn bun and grabbed her bag before walking out into the streets for school. She breathed in the morning air and closed her eyes to the sweet sound of a piano. It’s really quite rare to hear a good piece of song being played. The owner must be practicing for some recital or something because Hyeri seems to hear it a lot often these days. 

Anyways, as she walked past the stores along the way, her eyes caught sight of the posters pasted on the window glasses. ‘Valentine’s Day promotions?’ she reads it while continue walking. She looked at her watch and saw that it was the 13th of February. (yeah, her watch can tell the date)

‘Oh yeah~ I almost forgot. . . Well, it’s not like I have a purpose of celebrating it anyway.’ She mumbled to herself as she went into the school compound.

As she was walking through the hallway, a conversation by two girls caught her attention.

 

‘Hey, have you made your chocolates for tomorrow?’

‘Nope, I’m planning on buying the ingredients after school. Is yours ready?’

‘Yup, I’m all set for Valentine’s day. I can’t wait to give mine to Kevin,’

‘Really? I envy you~ I was too busy finishing my history assignment yesterday. I hope I can make it by tonight. I’m gonna give mine to Myungsoo Oppa. Kya~ I hope he’ll accept it,’

 

Before she could hear anymore Hyeri took a left and went straight into her classroom.

The whole day, during breaks and free time Hyeri would constantly find herself thinking about Valentine’s day.

‘Should I do anything for that day?’ she mused and began sketching random heart shapes on her sketch book.

 

On the way back home, as usual she would stop by the candy store. There were a lot more customers in the store today. Probably due to the fact that tomorrow’s Valentines.

Somehow Hyeri managed her way through the crowd of people and snatched an apple-lollipop from its shelf. As she was walking towards the counter, a daughter and mother caught her attention.

 

‘Mom, can I have these sprinkles? Oh~ and these too,’ the girl begged her mom. Hyeri turned to the voice and watched as her mom agreed to buy the ingredients.

‘Okay Mimi. What else do you want for the chocolate cake?’ the mother asked.

‘I want these hearts decorations. It’s Valentines. So there must be hearts,’ she quickly grabbed the bottle of hearts toppings and put it on the counter. Moments later the mother paid for the things. Hyeri stood there taking in on the senario that she just saw. She began looking around the store and her hands grabbed a few items.

 

Half an hour later, Hyeri found herself walking back home with a huge plastic bag in one hand. As soon as she got home, she went upstairs and put the stuff in her room. She doesn't want anyone to ask her questions regarding these items that were bought.

 

After dinner, she went back upstairs and brought down the plastic bag full of stuff into the kitchen. She took out the stuff that she had bought and sighed. All the ingredients to make chocolates for Valentine’s Day were laid in front of her eyes.

‘Why did I bought all these?’ she asked herself and took a bowl to begin making it.

 

As she was mixing the chocolate mixture in a bowl, T-ae suddenly popped into the kitchen. Being the busybody she was, she began asking Hyeri questions.

‘Oooh~ what is that~ What are you making? Chocolates? You’re making chocolates? Why? Are we celeb- oh my gosh! Tomorrow’s Valentines! And you’re making chocolates?!’ she exclaimed loudly while pointing at Hyeri as if she just committed a crime.

‘Shussshh~ will you?’ Hyeri hushed her as to not make the whole house come in and join her with all the questions. Soon enough another person came down.

 

‘T-ae? Why are you taking so long to get the snacks? Are you purposely avoi- oh Hyeri-ah!’ Bora walked into the kitchen and immediately noticed Hyeri’s annoyed face. She can figure out what who is behind it. Being the ideal sister she, is she tries her best in helping her beloved little sister.

 

‘Ah, I see you’re making chocolates. Mmm.. looks delicious.  Let’s not disturb her and continue studying T-ae.’ She grabbed a packet of snacks on the counter and began pushing T-ae towards the stairs.

‘Oh~ but I wanna help~ Bora! Don’t you wanna make chocolates for Valentines too?’ T-ae turned her body to escape from Bora hands and gave her her puppy-dog eyes before shifting her gaze towards Hyeri.

‘Hyeri-ah please~.. You know we don’t celebrate Valentine’s. I mean for what reason would you bake a chocolate cake or chocolates at an all-girl school? I envy you~’ T-ae continued while poking her heads through the ingredients laid out on the counter.

‘Umm.. I don’t know why I’m doing this either. I mean, . . . this is my first year at a co-ed school too,’ Hyeri said as the thought of making chocolates suddenly occurred to her.

‘Eh~ you’re just saying that to cover up. I bet you’re all excited to give that to your boyfriend.. Oh wait! You have a boyfriend?! Hyeri-ah you have a boyf—‘

‘T-ae stop it! Stop asking unnecessary questions to her. You’re just making it harder for her.’ Bora cut her off before she could ask any more intriguing questions.

‘Bora, you’re not curious of whom Hyeri is in love with? I mean, she’s practically our sister too,’ T-ae reasoned after being rudely cut off.

The fact that Hyeri has a guy in her heart right now, did seem to interest Bora and she needed to know who this guy was. But before she could ask Hyeri anything, she saw Hyeri pleading and her face was dead serious. She mentally slapped herself after realizing that she almost took T-ae’s bait. 

 

‘No! We have some serious studying to do.. and you’re slacking. We won’t have that much time to study soon since we’re gonna be participating in the sports event, remember?’ Bora lectured her which eventually made T-ae gave up and headed back upstairs.

‘Phew~ I thought she’d never leave,’ Hyeri muttered to herself.

She then began working on the chocolates. She spent quite a lot of time into it and her hands were moving ever so delicate as to not ruin anything. After all, all of it was coming out of her allowance so she was being really neat as to not spill and waste anything.

 

‘And~ done,’ she said smiling to herself looking satisfied with the chocolate truffle. She glanced at the clock on the wall and began cleaning the cutleries she used.

After doing so, she carefully brought the chocolates upstairs to her room. She neatly placed them on her desk and admired them.

‘Ohh~ I see you’re done. Wow~ its so pretty~’ T-ae poked her head in Hyeri’s room.

‘Yeah, thanks.’ She replied shortly.

‘So~ wanna talk about it now?’

‘About what?’

‘Oh you know~ so, who is he? Do I know him? Tell me~’ T-ae nudged Hyeri’s elbow.

‘I don’t have one,’

‘What? Seriously? Awww~ don’t be like that. You can trust me~,’ she whined

‘No, seriously. T-ae unnie, I have no boyfriend. Never had,’ Hyeri replied honestly.

T-ae squinted her eyes at Hyeri as if she is trying to penetrate through the inner walls of her mind in search of information.

‘Then, why’d you make these chocolates?’ she finally asked.

‘Huh? Well, I . . . uh. . . I don’t know~’ Hyeri answered leaving a huge amount of curiosity build in. She herself knew that she has no solid purpose for making those chocolaty treats.

‘Why am I making these, anyway?’ she mused.

As she was pondering, her thought was disturbed when she heard her name being called.

‘Hyeri-ah, I’m going home n- T-ae? I thought you went home already,’ Bora said as she went into Hyeri’s room.

‘Oh my gosh, is that the chocolates you made, Hyeri?’ her eyes were immediately drawn to the chocolates arranged beautifully on top of Hyeri’s desk.

‘Umm.. yeah~’

‘Its beautiful! Are you sure its your first time making these?’ she continued to ask.

‘Exactly my point!’ T-ae spoke up after examining the nicely prepared chocolates.

‘Han Hyeri! You better tell me now! Who is this guy?’ T-ae continued her investigations

‘You’re still bugged by that?’

‘What? She’s obviously is making these for that lucky dude,’

Bora glanced at Hyeri who was obviously uncomfortable with where this conversation was leading to and quickly saved her.

‘Look, T-ae. She can make those chocolates for whoever she wants. I mean, Valentines chocolates are not only for lovers. She could give those to her friends at school for all you know,’ Bora tried to reasoned. As soon as she said that, an idea flashed into Hyeri’s mind.

‘Bora unnie is right! I made these for fun! . . yeah~ . Here, . .  .you guys can have one each,’ Hyeri quickly voiced while offering them a chocolate truffle.

T-ae who had been eyeing those chocolates for a while immeadiately bought the whole thing.

‘Seriously? Awww~ you shouldn’t have~’ she said as she delicately picked up a piece.

‘I’m sorry for accusing you of having a bo—Mmmmmm… Oh my gosh! This is good!,’ she exclaimed as the chocolate melted in .

‘Really?’ Hyeri’s eyes widen at the compliment.

‘Uh-huh. This is awesome. Wow~ you should do this more often,’ she answered back while the tips of her fingers.

‘Okay. Thanks,’ Hyeri replied and turned to Bora.

‘Unnie, you don’t like it?’ Hyeri asked Bora who was just standing there beside her.

‘Huh? Me? I haven’t eaten it yet. I’ll eat it later,’ she said.

‘Oh really? Wait right here,’ Hyeri said and ran down the stairs only to come up again with a small box.

She quickly took a piece of the chocolates and placed it in the box.

‘Unnie, here,’ she handed the box to Bora.

‘Aww~ thanks,’ she said and ruffled Hyeri’s hair.

‘You’re welcome,’ she beamed

‘Oh my gosh! Bora, its getting late. My mom will kill me if I’m not home by curfew!’ T-ae screamed and tugged Bora’s wrist. Bora managed to wave to Hyeri before running down the stairs with T-ae.

 After they left, Hyeri stared at the chocolates.

‘I really don’t have a boyfriend, . . . . then why did I make these?’ she pondered.

‘I guess it’s really just for fun~,’ she mumbled and took a piece. 

‘T-ae unnie can be such a busybody sometimes,’ she muttered as she recalled how badly she wanted to know about her non-existent boyfriend.

‘It’s a good thing Bora unnie understands me,’ she continued to monologue as the whole incident before replayed in her mind. Suddenly she snapped her fingers as she just thought of something.