Valentines (4)

The Apple of my eyes.

 

I woke up with a jerk at the sound of the school bell. I rubbed my sleepy eyes and yawned. I stared at the clock by the black board trying to make out the time.

5:05PM

"What?! Its already 5!" I gasped and quickly grabbed my bag and made a run for it to the front gate. Uhh.. Please, don't go yet. As I got closer, I slowed down and took in more breath.

Finally, I took a long breath and took a left which leads to the front gate. There she was. She was already there. She doesn't seem to notice me yet. I quickly did a last minute check up on my appearance.

Okay. Shirt? Slightly wrinkled. Hair? I flatten the upper part of it. Done. Zipper? Check. What else? Ahh.. I'm so nervous.

Okay, here goes everything. Breath in, breath out. Huh~

I took a few steps and was about to call her name when the edge of my shoe got caught in a crack in the pavement.

"Aah!! Ow!" I fell onto the hard cold cement floor. Luckily enough, I managed to brace myself for the impact with my hands. Though, my knees hurt a lot. Great, there's probably a tear on my pants too.

"Songjung-ah? Are you okay?" my heart stopped for a moment as I recognized the voice. I lifted my head slowly to meet her worried face.

"Hyeri-ah! I'm fine. I ju- Ahhh!" I screamed in pain as I tried to stand.

"What are you doing? You're clearly hurt," she said and took my arm to sling it around her shoulders. I was bewildered by the sudden skin-ship and stared at her. I flinched at her touch but quickly let her do what she wants. I bit my lower lips in embarrassment. My heart was beating extremely loud.

"Songjung-ah. I'm sorry but just bear with it for moment." she said calmly to me. Since her face was so close to mine, I can feel her warm breath that brushed lightly against my cheeks.

She slowly lifted me on my feet after getting a good grip on my shoulders. I winced in pain but only to be soothed by the fact that she's caring for me. I guess,  the universe wasn't against me. I'm sorry I ever doubted you.

She then helped me to a bench nearby. I looked at my slightly torn pants. Mom is gonna freak out when she finds out.

I turned to my right to say, "Hyeri-ah thank yo-" my eyes widen as my face was just inches away from hers. The world stopped for a moment as we both stared into each others eyes. Hers was so mesmerizing. I don’t think I have never seen her face so up close. She's really-

HONK! HONK!

I jumped in surprised and we both jerked backwards. I turned to my left to find an angry driver honking his car. I blew my fringe in frustrations. Way to ruin a perfect atmosphere. I’m starting to doubt again the universe. He is totally messing with me.. Ughh.

My attention was then diverted by the sound of Velcro being ripped from its pair. I turned my head towards the sound. Hyeri was digging her bag for something.

"Aha, here it is" she took out a small pouch. I just stared at her being all cute. My eyes widen when she took out a bandage. She then looked at me and gave me a heart-stopping smile.

She squatted on the ground and took out some cream. Probably needed to treat my wound. My heart was still pounding madly despite how long it’s been. I think it’s even starting to hurt my chest.

"Is it okay for me to treat it?" she asked.

"Do, okay. Sure-“ I shook my head at my words “ . . . I mean, sure. Okay," I was muttering randomly and face palmed myself for mixing up my words.

I swear I heard her chuckled before rolling up my pants. My face went completely crimson upon her touch. I just watched her as she dabbed cotton onto my wound before gently applying some cream onto it. I was barely able to hold back the pain. I never really liked cuts or wounds.  

"Its okay, I'm almost done," her words seemed to have a soothing effect on me because I then calmed down. She finished up with the bandage and smiled proudly. My mouth also followed as I grinned.

She then got up to sit beside me and dug her hands in her bag again.

"Thank you," I said shyly as I rubbed the back of my neck in awkwardness.

"Songjung-ah, here-" she took out a small box and offered it to me. "Happy Valentines Day~"

I think I should be dead by now. My heart keeps stopping so many times after meeting her. I covered my mouth and stared at her. She looked at me with such anticipation that my hands automatically stretched out and accepted it.

"I hope you like it. It’s my first time baking chocolates and I think it turned out pretty good," she stared onto the floor. I could see her flushed face.

"Then, I'll be sure to enjoy every bite of it," I looked at the beautifully wrapped box with my name attached onto it.

"Ah, by the way, why did you ask me to meet you?" she asked.

I furrowed my brows before looking at her straight. Oh right! I almost forgot about that. What do I do? Should I just say it to her straight? Or …?

"Oh that... Uhh.. The thing is.. I . . I wanted to-"

"Lee Songjung! There you are! Do you know how worried I was when I couldn't find your bag in the class!"

My head quickly snapped towards the voice.

"Mom!" I exclaimed and tried to explain. But before I could even start she was already talking.

"Aigoo, what happened to your pants? Did you got hurt? Is it bleeding? What on earth happened?" she was fussing about and began to examine my knee and I winced when she touched it.

"Mrs Lee, if I may. He tripped on the pavement there and it sort of happened. But I've already applied some antiseptic cream. So, there shouldn’t be an infection." Hyeri spoke up. We both looked at her.

"Oh really? Thank you, Hyeri. That’s very kind of you. I hope he didn’t bother you too much. Sometimes, he can be su-“

“Mom!” I whined and gave a her a look that begged her to stop talking. I’m already embarrassed enough.

Mom stared at me for two seconds before she finally understood.

“Oh my, will you look at the time, I hope you don't mind but we really have to get back home now. You should go home yourself too." She said and Hyeri just nodded.

"Oh right. Hyeri-yah, I guess I'll see you tomorrow then," I said before she could misunderstand anything and before mom could add anything else. Yeesh, sometimes mom's words could be so mind boggling.

Hyeri got up to bow and left. I waved at her as she walked down the street.

"Looks like someone had fun, today~"

I quickly pulled my hand down and gave her a look.

"What? Can't a guy enjoy his day normally?"

"Well, it depends on the guy who just so happens to spend it with the girl of his dreams,"

I gasped and whipped my head left, right and then left again.

"Who told you that?" I asked her frantically.

"Oh please, I'm your mom. Wouldn't I be the first to know if my son got a crush?" she asked me back in an intriguing tone.

My face immediately went red by her remark. I can't believe she found out. I covered my face with my palms. Ah, this is so embarrassing. No wonder she was talking like that.

"Anyway, enough with that already. We're late now. Come on, can you move on your own?"

I just nodded and walked slowly towards the car. On the way home, the atmosphere was quiet until mom spoke up.

"You and I are gonna spend the night with bonding time, okay?"

I just nodded in silence as I understood completely what she meant by ‘bonding time’.  She's planning on making me spill out everything. And when everything, that means about Hyeri.