Lab partners

The Apple of my eyes.

 

Mr. Park’s words kept replaying in her head.

‘Ughhh.. why is this happening to me? Why do I suddenly feel nervous?’

She muttered to herself. After tossing and turning she finally fell asleep. When she opened her eyes, it was 7:30am! ‘Oh my gosh! I’m late.’ She shrieked. She dashed towards the bathroom and tried to shower as quickly as she can. She then got on her bike and cycled like her life depended on it. Fortunately, she made it just in time but she looked like a lifeless person. A zombie. No one noticed really. It was just her imagination.

‘I wish this day would get better’ she hoped with full of anticipation.

‘Okay, students. I’ve made an analysis and the result is half of this class is doing great but the other half is how do I put it . . .. depressing.’ Ms. Hana spoke to the class with a serious look on her face.

‘So, for the rest of the year, I’m gonna put you into pairs so that each pair will help their partner to boost your science grades’

Shortly after, a loud whispering can be heard from the girls.

‘Oh my gosh! This is our chance.’

‘I wonder who’s gonna be Songjung’s partner’

‘Kyaa~ I think I’ll die if I get him’

‘the chances is too big. I mean there’s only 17 guys and a sea of girls’

‘Yeah, we’re most likely to get girl partners’

‘Quiet down class! So, the names called out please move and sit beside your partner. First off, WooHyuk you’re with MinHa. Isuk and Kyumin are a pair …….’  Mrs. Hana continued to read the list.

Hyeri just couldn’t help but feel indifferent. She doesn’t care who her partner will be. It doesn’t change anything. She still has the highest grade for science.

‘ . . .Hyeri-ah your partner is Hoon and lastly Songjung you’re with ChanMi’

Suddenly all the girls in the class started talking. Some we’re congratulating ChanMi others were sobbing and some were holding back their anger.

Ms Hana was quite shock with the dramatic reaction of the girls. She somehow soon managed to calm down the atmosphere.

‘Please, calm down. Now I want you to take five and get to know your partners better. After this we’re gonna continue with our lesson for Chapter 2’ she said reluctantly and sighed…

‘If only I’d listen to Dad and became a chef..’ Ms hana suddenly remembered how she had once dream of becoming a chef.. and yet now she’s miserable. Stuck with a bunch of kids and young high school girls..

‘Hi, my name is Hoon’ said the average-looking boy with brown hair and he pulled back the chair beside Hyeri.

‘Hey. I’m Han Hyeri. I know you must not know that I existed before but I do,’ Hyeri replied sarcastically and giving him an emotionless face.

‘You’re funny. I never thought you would speak like that,’ he flashed a smile that seems to acknowledge hyeri’s presence. ‘He’s different’ Hyeri spoke in her mind after hearing the honest statement.

‘By the way, I already knew you existed’ he continued while taking out his notepad and pens.

Those words stun her.  What? All this long a boy in her class knew of her existence? She was bewildered.

‘if you’re done staring we should get ready for the lesson’ he looked at Hyeri and smirked. Realizing that she had been staring at the boy unconsciously, Hyeri adjusted her seat and clear ..

‘I wasn’t staring… I was just spacing out.’ She said in an annoyed tone. Moments later, the lesson proceed normally. Throughout the lesson , Hyeri periodically asked Hoon if he does not understand anything to make sure he’s not left behind. She somehow managed to communicate normally like everyone else do which impressed Hoon. He had thought that she would be quiet and avoid talking. This girl is quite interesting.

During recess, Hyeri stayed in class. She has lost her appetite which is very rare considering the fact that she doesn’t take breakfast at home. But for some unknown reason, she just doesn’t feel like going to the cafeteria and queue up only to get the meal when there’s only 10 minutes left.. She closed her eyes slowly drifting into a short day dream. When she opened her eyes, an apple was placed before her. She stared at the mysterious apple with her head still resting on her desk. Her eyes caught something blue behind the fruit. It was a note post. Without her realizing it she reached out for the paper and read it;

‘Are you okay? I saw that you’re not at the cafeteria and thought that you might be sick. By the way, don’t keep this up. Its bad for your health. Anyway, take care. Pyeong! >.<’

Hyeri rubbed and blinked her eyes. She looked around to see if the apple and note could have been meant for someone else but her actions were proven futile. The class was empty. She was there alone. As she was trying to think who could have put the apple there, her stomach started to growl. Without a second thought, she ate the apple delightedly as apple is still her number one fruit. She always wondered why hadn’t the apple been the king of the fruits. Isn’t apple the first thing you learn in kindergarten? A is for Apple. Duh~

The rest of the day seemed to go about as usual. When she got back home, she threw her body on her bed. ‘Ah~ so soft and comforting’ she rolled around the bed. She then got up and went to her study table. She took out the blue note that she had kept earlier and pasted it in a small corner of the wall. Her heart suddenly started to beat faster. ‘I guess I’m not so invisible after all’ she said to herself and the lips curled to form a smile.