Valentines (2) - The chocolates. .

The Apple of my eyes.

 

 

Hyeri rushed out of the door of her house and walked down the streets heading for school. She didn't know why but she had this feeling that she needed to be at school early. On her way to school, she passed by a convenience shop. Without even thinking twice, she went in and bought herself two buns and a small carton of milk.

 

As soon as she arrived at school, her stomach began growling. Hyeri went into her classroom and began eating the stuff that she just bought. After she was done doing so, she glanced at her wrist watch. It was still early. She had around half an hour before school officially starts. Though, she wasn't alone. There were a bunch of other girls loitering around the ground floor.

 

 

After pondering on what to do for the next half an hour, she finally decided to sketch. As soon as she opens her bag to get her sketchpad, her eyes caught sight of the two boxes placed neatly in the bag.

 

 

'Oh! I almost forgot about these,' she uttered to herself as she carefully picked up said boxes.

 

 

She placed it on her desk and examined her work. She was proud of how it turned out. The two boxes were beautifully wrapped with ribbons and a small note post was attached onto each. Just as she was about to place it back in her bag, a loud shrieking noises echoed in the air. She was so startled that she almost dropped the boxes. She sighed in relief when it didn't and quickly put it in her bag. She then went to the windows to see what the commotion was about.

 

A bunch of girls were huddling around a boy screaming and shrieking as he tried to get into the school compound. Hyeri squint her eyes to get a grasp of what was really happening. There she saw her senior, Woohyun if she's not mistaken, was being the center of attraction.

 

The girls were huddling around him each screaming and confessing their love for him. Hyeri couldn't help but just chuckled at the sight. She finds the girl's behavior amusing. Woohyun, however didn't seem annoyed nor awkward. He was happily receiving the presents and nodding to the girls’ confessions.

 

Suddenly, he went up the small stage at the east of the parking lot and threw his famous air hearts at his adoring fans who just can't get enough of him.

 

 

'Well, you don't see that every day.' Hyeri mumbled as she watched. Shortly after, another round of screams entered her ears as her other seniors, Kevin and Eli went out of their cars.

 

 

'Is this how Valentine is celebrated in a co-ed school?' Hyeri mused. After getting enough of drama, Hyeri went back to her seat. She glanced again at her watch and there's a good 15 minutes more before school starts.

 

 

She finally began sketching. Moments after, she heard a person entering the classroom and put his bag on his desk. She was completely oblivious to whoever it was until he spoke.

 

 

'Hyeri? Is that you?' the voice echoed in the classroom.
'Huh?' she turned around at the voice after hearing her name.
'Hyeri! What are you doing here? I mean, it’s still early,'
'Songjung, I was-'
'Look, sorry but I don't think I can be with you today. You know, since today is ..Valentines Day. So, not to boast or anything but I think I won't get to see you much. Can you wait for me at the front gate at 5pm?' he cut off Hyeri before she could even say anything.

 

 

Just as Hyeri was about to reply, there was yet another shrieking sound coming from the hallway. The classroom door then opened revealing bunch of girls with chocolates in their hands.
 

 

'Kya~ Songjung-sshi! He's here!' a girl shrieked.
'Oh my gosh! Songjung-sshi. Here, please accept my chocolates,' another girl went up to him and shove her chocolates to him.
'No! Take mine!' another pushed the earlier girl aside having him stand directly in front of her.

 

 

Soon, all of the girls we practically professing their love to him with their chocolates. Before more girls came to huddle around him, Songjung made an okay sign towards Hyeri regarding the earlier matter. Hyeri managed to nod before seeing Songjung literally drown in the sea of girls. She thought she even saw her seniors. 

 


'I know he's popular but even the upperclassmen loves him too?,' she mused to herself.

 

 

It was just a matter of time before the class was filled with students. The girls were all crazy for the guys, kinda of desperate from what Hyeri can tell really. It was a huge culture shock for Hyeri. The girls were quite intimidating. Some of the girls that Hyeri has never seen utter a single word in class was now screaming in the crowd.

 

She thought it was all gonna end soon but it didn't. As soon as the break time bell rang, the girls got up and went out of class to find the guys to confess and such. Hyeri just shook her head at their very peculiar and strange behavior.

 

 

 'Luckily, it’s only for one day. Right?' she thought to herself.

 

 

As usual she went up to the rooftop. Since she went to school so early, she didn't make any food. So, she grabbed the plastic bag containing the bun and milk hoping it could keep her content for the rest of the day.

 

Just as she opened the door to the rooftop, she heard a conversation. The door was opened half-way which allowed her to peek through the door. She saw a girl standing at the rooftop and in front of her stood Hoon.

 

 

'Hoon, I know you don't know me. But, I like you. I've been liking you ever since middle school. I know that you don't have a girlfriend yet. So .. . . will you go out with me?' the girl confessed making Hyeri realized that she was witnessing a confession. She quickly put a hand over and moved behind some huge pipes as to not ruin the atmosphere.
'Sorry, but I have another girl in my mind,' Hoon rejected the girl.
'Eh? S-seriously?' the girl stuttered while taking in the rejection.
'Yeah~ so, I can't date you,' he said firmly.
'Really? O-oh .. okay. But w-will you take m-my cho-cholates?' she asked as she handed out a huge box of chocolates. Her voice was starting to crack probably due to the fact that she's about to cry.
'Yeah, sure,' he answered back coolly and took the chocolates from her hands. He then dug into his pockets and took out a handkerchief.
'Here, use this. I'm sorry for rejecting you ... but we can be friends,' he said as he offered the handkerchief. The girl pondered on whether to take it or not.

 

Finally the girl took it and wiped her tears. She nodded towards Hoon and went to the stairways and vanished out of sight.
 

 

Hoon took a deep breath and exhaled as he looked at the box of chocolates in his hands.

 

 

'You're so mean! How can you say 'we can be friends' after offering a handkerchief to a crying girl?' Hyeri asked as she came out of hiding. Hoon almost jumped as he was so startled by her.
'Oh my god! You scared me!' he yelled.
'Yah! You've been there the whole time?' he asked suddenly alarmed by the thought that she saw the whole confession.
'Yup, I saw everything,' she said and nodded.
'What?! Hey, that's an invasion of privacy!'

 

'Well, sorry~ was it my fault that she confessed to you at my favourite hangout spot~' she whined after being scolded by Hoon to which she deemed to be unreasonable.

 

'Hey, I didn't ask her to confess here! I was walking towards the rooftop and she must've followed me,' he explained.
'Whoa~ I get it. I get it. It’s not your fault,' she said as the conversation was starting to heat up. She then went and sat down at her usual spot and began eating. Hoon looked at her in disappointment. He blew on his bangs a few times in frustration before sitting down beside Hyeri. But he knew that Hyeri wasn't one to drag an argument so he was somewhat relieved.

 

 

 

'I can't believe how this school works. I mean, the girls here are so crazy,' Hyeri said out of randomness after finishing her bun.
'Well, that's Valentines for ya.' he replied coolly as he loosen up his neck tie.
'Is it always this crazy?' she asked curiously.
'And when you say always, you mean every year? Then yup.' 
'Wow~ It feels like I'm watching a drama or an anime,'
'Hmm.. though I'm curious. . . .' he said and looked at her straight in the eye.
'About what?'
'Did you give away any chocolates? ... just wondering,'
'Hmm... I did make some chocolates but I haven't gave it yet.' Hyeri stated as she began taking out the chocolates. Hoon stared at the box of chocolates in her hands. He could read his name on the small note post.

 

He looked at Hyeri anxiously. Hyeri stared at the box of chocolate in her hands before putting on a smile.
'So, here’s yours,' she said and offered the chocolates.
Hoon reached out for it and looked at it.
'Wow, it's pretty. Must've been hard for you to make these,' he said.
'Well, it wasn't hard. Besides I had fun making it. And I'm glad to share my first ever batch of chocolates with the people that I care about,' 
'Huh? What does that mean?' he asked as he confused by Hyeri's previous words.
'What does what mean?' 
'Wait, . . . so you mean you made a lot of chocolates and gave it to the people you love?' 
'Uh . . . isn't that what I said?'
'No, I mean. . .  so I'm not the only one that received this chocolate from you?'
'No of course not, silly. I made a lot and even some stash in my room as snacks supply. My sister's friends also ate some. Why?'

 

Hoon looked at Hyeri before sighing.
'And by chance, did you also pack a box of these chocolates for him?'
'Him?'
'You know, . . that teacher's son,'
'Oh! you mean, Songjung?'
'Yeah that guy,' he answered nolanchantly.
'Of course I did.' she answered as she was completely oblivious to where this conversation was leading to.
'Figures,' he mumbled in his breath. His mood was completely damped by the conversation. He got up and stood by the wall breathing in the fresh air that the wind brought.
Hyeri just watched him until break time was over. She was quite puzzled by it.