The most popular boy..... Lee Songjung

The Apple of my eyes.

 

The bell rang informing the students and teachers that it was the last period of the day. Hyeri cleared her desk with a smile on her lips. It’s English lesson. She is always happy during English lesson because she can relate a lot and the teacher can see her. (Not that other teachers don’t but the other teachers would go through the lesson as if she was invisible).

Mr. Park entered the class. He is an average Korean man but his English is almost as good as a native. It’s probably because he had study abroad for 5 years in America. 

‘Okay class. Open your textbook page 86. Today were gonna lear—‘

‘Sir, can we not learn today?’ a tall big-eyed boy spoke up.

Hyeri widen her eyes. What?! Not learn English?!

‘Why? What happened?’ he asked with the most caring tone. Mr. Park being a father, had always shown a fatherly image. And so the boy told him how the class had been punished for not being able to answer some Mathematical questions in the previous lesson.

‘No wonder the class is down,’ he exclaimed.

‘What a wimp. It’s your fault for not memorizing the formulae,’ Hyeri mocked the weakness of her classmate in her head.

She however did not felt unmotivated like the rest of the class because she was the only person that managed to get all questions correct. Thank god, for her smart brain.

‘I see, I guess I have no choice then. I’ll postpone our lesson today. Alright everyone. Close your books.’ Mr. Park said and with that he dig into his brown bag for some papers. He neatly folded it into small pieces and cut them in those sizes.

‘Okay. Everyone ready?’ the class all nodded while waiting for further instructions.

‘Do you know what day is the 14th?’ he asked with a playful smile

‘Valentines’ Day!’ a slim long-haired girl with braids answered. The whole class agreed.

‘Very good. Now, I know you kids are very interested in this subject in particular. So I’m gonna pass these paper to everyone and I want you each to write down the person you like. By the end of the class we’re gonna do a vote and see who is the most popular guy and girl in this class,’

The girls were shrieking in excitement and the guys immediately discussed among themselves. However, Hyeri was not excited. She was flabbergasted. ‘What is this nonsense? We’re gonna waste a perfectly good lesson on doing this?’

Before she knew it the whole class was busy thinking and writing down the names. Hyeri sighed as she had given up the thought about falling in love any time soon. She then took a blue pen from her pencil case and stared into the blank piece of paper lying on her desk. She quickly uncapped the pen and wrote ‘Mr. Nobody!’ and passed it to her teacher without a second thought.

10 minutes before the class ends. Mr. Park collected all the papers. He then decided to do the guys popularity vote first. Hyeri being the Mr. Park ‘s 'personal assistant' was told to help him count the votes. As she flipped through the papers counting, its completely obvious to everyone who the winner is without even doing the vote. Lee Songjung’s name kept appearing on the papers. The second person with the most vote was Songjung’s best friend, Lee Songyeol. Other than those two, random papers with ‘My dad’, ‘My brother’, ‘My dog’ written on it was found.

‘Oh? Mr. Nobody?’ exclaim Mr. Park in confusion as he goes through all the papers that the girls have wrote. Hyeri heard him and knew it was hers. She just ignored it.

‘She must be really lonely, don’t you think so Hyeri-ah?’ Hyeri looked at her teacher in disbelief.

‘Is he talking about me writing down ‘Mr.Nobody’?’ she thought.

‘What do you mean, sir?’

‘Look hyeri-ah. There’s a girl in your class that wrote Mr. Nobody’

‘Sir, what does that have anything to do with her being lonely?’ her voice started to shake but she managed to control it.

‘Well, it’s just that … oh my look at the time! It’s almost time to go home. I guess we won’t be able to finish this today. Let’s just announce the guy’s result’ he said and quickly got up and spoke to the class leaving hyeri speechless on her chair. She pondered on what her teacher had wanted to say about her being lonely.

‘Listen up class. I’ll just announce the popularity vote for the guys because we don’t have much time left. So girls is that okay?’

‘Yes~ sir quick tell us who is it?’ asked a girl anxiously

‘Okay. The most popular boy in this class is  . . . Lee Songjung!’

A thunderous clap followed after Songjung’s name was called. He got up from his seat and threw lots of air kisses to his fans. The other guys were not really surprised. Heck, they already expected it.

‘Settle down class. Next is  . . . Lee Songyeol’

Songjung gave Songyeol a high-five and the other guys congratulated him. The girls who voted for him also followed.

‘Well that’s about it, guys. I’m sorry but your names were not on any papers’ he said apologetically. The last bell then rang. Everyone left the class except for Mr. Park and hyeri. Mr. Park saw Hyeri standing in the middle of the class stationary. 

‘What’s wrong Hyeri? Do you have any questions?’

‘Mm.. it’s just that I wanna know what you meant by me being …. ‘

‘You being....? what? Is there something wrong?’

‘Sorry I meant, What do you think about me? Sir, do you think I’m lonely ?’

Mr.Park was slightly taken back by her question. He never thought his dearest student would ever feel that way.

‘I mean,. . . . I look average and ordinary. DO you think I’ll be lonely forever?’ Hyeri swiftly changed the question to avoid the terrifying and awful truth about her loneliness.

‘Oh~ so that’s what you meant. Well, that‘s nothing to be worried about. As a matter of fact. Look here,’ he pulled out some papers and began searching through them and then he smiled to himself. Hyeri looked at him with a puzzled face.

‘Here, look what’s written on this paper’ he showed her the paper. It read ‘Han Hyeri’.

Hyeri blinked in surprised. Mr. Park then nodded and said

‘See, there’s nothing to worry about. You don’t need thousands of guys to drool over you. But a single soul who cares about you deeply is enough to make you not lonely’ he then ruffled her hair and gave her his fatherly smile. He packed his stuff into his brown bag and left the class.

Hyeri still stood there. ‘It can’t be true. A boy in this class likes me?’