Valentines - the day itself (1)

The Apple of my eyes.

 

 

Hyeri stared at the two neatly packed boxes on her desk. She examined it carefully again before placing it in her bag gently as to not spoil the content. She fixed her hair into a long pony-tail and walked downstairs.


'I'm going to school now~,' she yelled as she slips her shoes on.
'Hyeri? Is that you? You're going already? But it’s still early,' her mother came out of the kitchen.
'I know. Bye~,' she quickly rushed out of the house leaving her mother puzzled.

A few minutes later, Mr. Han came down and sat at the dining table to have his breakfast.


'I thought I heard Hyeri just now. Did she really left?' he asked his wife who was preparing some fried rice.


'She did and it’s still early. I wonder why she is in such a rush,' Mrs. Han replied to her husband as she scoops some rice for him.


'Morning Mom, Dad!' Hye-eun greeted as she pulled her chair back to sit after coming down the stairs. She then took her plate and filled it with the fried rice. As she was eating she noticed her mother's worried face.


'What's wrong, Mom? Did you forget something?' she asked before shoving a spoonful of rice into .


'Hmm? Uh nothing. I was just worried that maybe Hyeri is in some sort of trouble,' 


'Why are you over-thinking stuff? Hyeri is big enough to take care of herself. I thought we promised her that we trust her after letting her transfer schools. So what if she decides to go to school early one day?' Mr. Han reassured his wife.


'But still, my motherly instinct is getting twitchy,' 


'You know, . . . it could just be today. Since today is Valentines,' Hye-eun interrupts as she finished her meal. As soon as she said it Mrs. Han’s face lit up and she clapped as if she just thought of a great idea.


'Ah~ you're so right, Hye-euna. I completely forgot. Now it makes sense. Aigoo~ and here I thought she was gonna meet up with some bad friends early in the morning and pplay hooky,' she muttered to herself.


'You see? I'm sure she's just fine,' Mr. Han reassured his wife again.


'Aigoo~ Our Hyeri is growing up. I guess she was the one that threw away all those wrappers. I can't believe she made chocolates on her own. Soon, she'll bring home a nice young man~,' 
Mr. Han almost choked on his coffee upon hearing his wife's mumbling.


'What?! What young man?! NO! I won't allow it. She's far too young to have a boyfriend,' he suddenly erupts. Seeing how her father was starting to get worked up, Hye-eun quickly tries to settle things.


'Mom, what are you talking about? Hyeri is not dating anyone. She just made those chocolates for her friends and she probably went earlier than usual because of all the girls that might huddle up at the front gate to give chocolates,' she explained.


'Really? Is that so? Then it’s a pity. I thought that she might have a boy that she liked,' her mother sighed after listening to her explanation.


'Mmm.. let's just hope so~,' her father said as he put on his coat.


Hye-eun grabbed her bag and kissed her mother on the cheeks before waving goodbye. She climbed into her father's car and waited for him to drive her to school.

 


At first, the ride to school was filled with Hye-eun telling her father about her latest activities at school. But soon the atmosphere became a bit tense when Valentines was mentioned.


'Wow~ look at all those posters,' Hye-eun said as they passed by a street full of shops.


'Are you sure she's not dating anyone?' Mr. Han suddenly asked with a serious face plastered on.


'Hmm? Oh, Hyeri? Yeah~ I'm pretty sure,' she answered as she was starting to regret bringing up the conversation.

There was a long silence in the car as Mr. Han drove. Finally the car stopped right by Hye-eun's school gate. Hye-eun got off the car and waved her father goodbye as he drove off. Her eyes were locked onto the car until it disappeared at a corner. She let out a sigh of relief and just shook her head at her father's unusual behavior.


'Hye-euna!! Good morning!' a voice echoed not too far from her. Hye-eun quickly turned to the familiar voice and waved at them.


'Hey, why are you spacing out at the front gate?' T-ae asked her as she walked beside Hye-eun.


'Oh it’s nothing. It’s just that Dad was suddenly worked up about Hyeri having a boyfriend,' she answered while shrugging off the unnecessary thought.


'Well, it’s natural for dads to freak out and be protective over this sort of stuff,' Bora remarked.


'Yeah~ you're right,'


'I think Bora's right too. Hmm. . . but . . . does she really have a boyfriend?' T-ae asked curiously.


'I don't . . . think so~,' 


'Oh come on~ She's your sister, you should know about this,' she whined after not getting the info that she wanted.


'T-ae, you shouldn't talk like that. I'm sure Hyeri would tell her if she has one.' Bora tried to reason with T-ae.


'Well if she does, you have got to tell me. Okay?' 


'Yeah, sure. Let's just get to class already,' Hye-eun suggested immeadiately stopping T-ae from adding any more questions to the conversation. The three of them went into their classroom and proceed with learning.