A different impression.

The Apple of my eyes.

 

‘Okay, Hyeri. Since you have a perfectly clean record and you’re also an excellent student I’m gonna let you off. But, bear in mind that that doesn’t mean you’re off the suspect list. Thursday is the last day to return the rabbit without getting any charge added with a reasonable explanation,’ Hyeri just listened. She was then dismissed.

She started making her way back to class while cursing at her luck. ‘How the heck did I get into this mess? Oh yeah that’s right, it’s because if that jealous girl, Chanmi,' she muttered to herself.

'Well, speak of the devil’ her footsteps slowed down as she made out the figure that stands before her.

'You, what did you say to the teacher? How could you just go and tell the teacher falsely about me?'

'Why? still not admitting to your wrongdoings? I saw you alone in the classroom after the incident with my friends. Is that not enough proof?' she asked back intimidatingly.

'For your information, that isn't proof,' she voiced.

'Anyway, I'm tired. Can you please move aside? Either way you're gonna have to apologize to me later when the culprit is caught' Hyeri replied calmly. She was irrirated and worn out. She knew that it was a waste of breath talking to someone who just doesn’t know when to give up.

Chanmi glared at her, she couldn't control her anger. In spur of moment, she pulled Hyeri's hair.

'Ow!! yah!' Hyeri screamed. She pulled back her hair from Chanmi's grip. They both exchange glares. Both bearing hatred. Chanmi lifted her hand in attempt to slap hyeri. Hyeri closed her eyes and braced herself for the hit. Just seconds before the impact ...

'What are you girls doing?' a voice asked in a stern voice.

Both girls turned their heads towards the voice. It was Mrs Lee and beside her stood Songjung.

'Mrs Lee! I was just trying to make her confess to the crime,' Chanmi answered. Hyeri remained silent.

‘Oh? So, you found out who the culprit is?' she glanced over at Hyeri.

'Well, I don't wanna brag but,' she glanced over at Hyeri before continuing.

'I saw her all alone in the classroom during the incident so she is obviously the culprit' she answered proudly and confidently.

'So, where is the rabbit now?’ Mrs Lee asked. She directed her question towards Hyeri.

‘I don’t have it because I’m not the thief’ Hyeri replied indifferently. 

‘Don’t lie! Just give back the rabbit already!’ Chanmi started to get enrage by Hyeri’s response. Mrs Lee seeing this tried to cool things down.

‘Chanmi-ah, did you see the rabbit in her hands on that day?’ she asked gently as to not provoke her and create a bigger scene as students in the classroom were all paying attention to the conversation.

‘The rabbit? Oh, well no but she –‘

‘Then, you have no right to accuse her of such. Stop blaming others randomly. It is not proven yet whether she really did steal the rabbit or she is just being framed. Now, get back into the classroom' she concluded as to not drag on the conversation which was taking place in the middle of the hallway.

Chanmi was taken back but she knew she had no power to argue with the teacher more of because Mrs Lee was Songjung's mother. She looked down and stared at the the cement floor. She was filled with outrage and then silently she retreated back into the class. She has never been so humiliated in her whole life! 

During the whole conversation, Songjung's attention was on Hyeri. He observed her every reaction. As Hyeri was about to make her way into the class he approached her.

'Mom, i think i'll send Hyeri to the infirmary.' he then looked at Hyeri.

'Eh? No its fine. I'm okay,' she didn't want to be a bother and she was perfectly fine aside from her hair being pulled earlier.

Withot a second thought, Songjung quickly grab hold of Hyeri's wrist and dragged her towards the infirmary leaving Mrs Lee to handle the students. 

'Yah, what are you doing? I told you I'm completely fine,' Hyeri struggled to get out of Songjung's grip. She twisted and pulled and yanked her wrist but all was in vain. Before she knew it, they were already in the sickroom. 

Songjung finally let go of his grip. He slides open the door and poke his head into the room.

'Hello? Is there anyone in here? I'm here with my friend who got injured,' Hyeri rolled her eyes.

'Must have left for lunch or something. Come on, get in' he gestured towards the room. Hyeri sighed. She just followed him. It was Hyeri’s first time in the infirmary and she was somewhat excited but she managed to suppress her curiosity in all the health tools.

‘Songjung-ah, you do know that I’m no where near being injured right?’ Songjung looked at her with a puzzled face.

‘Well, let’s just be safe. I’m gonna go and check if the nurse is in the other room,’ he then went off to search for the nurse leaving Hyeri unaccompanied. Hyeri’s curiosity came back. Her eyes were wandering through all the equipment laid out on the desk. Her hands were caressing the tools from the thermometer to the scalpel. She had never been to the hospital before due to the fact that she always has a balance diet plus extra apples every day. Thus, creating this peculiar behavior of hers. 

As she was carefully handling a syringe with a long needle at the end, a loud high-pitch ringing came across the room. Due to the shock, the syringe slipped from her hand and the needle managed to cut some flesh on her finger. Hyeri shriek at the sight of blood flowing out.

‘Hyeri-ah, are you okay?' Songjung came rushing in the room.

‘Here, let me look,’ he grab hold of her finger gently as to not hurt her. He gazed at the bleeding index finger. Without warning, he pulled the finger towards his lips. Hyeri seeing this immediately reacted by pulling back her finger. Her heart was beating extremely fast. She scowled at Songjung for his spontaneous action which perplexed her.

An awkward silence filled the room. Both Hyeri and Songjung were shocked at the scene that just happened. Finally, Songjung broke the silence

‘Sorry, I was just trying to stop the bleeding.‘ Songjung looked anxious and uneasy.

‘It’s okay. Let’s just get my finger treated,’ Hyeri uttered quickly as to avoid the awkwardness to drag on. Songjung reached out for the first aid kit which was placed behind the desk in a cabinet. He then grab the ointment and bandage that was needed to treat Hyeri’s wound.

Hyeri watched in amazement as he professionally attend to her injury. She observed how he carefully and gently apply the ointment on her finger and made sure that it didn't make a mess. He then took the bandage and swiftly wrapped it around her fingers softly. Hyeri was somewhat captivated by his gracefulness and his actions. She was fully admiring him until she didn't realised that he had finished applying the treatment until he spoke.  

‘Okay, all done,’ he then smiled at her. He was relieved that the injury was just a light wound.

All of a sudden blood began to creep up to Hyeri’s cheeks. She quickly looked away. She could feel the warmth produced from her blushing. Favorably to her, Songjung hadn't notice her reddening. He was too occupied in cleaning the tools that he had use. He then pack away the first aid kit and placed it back in the cabinet. After that he turned to Hyeri.

‘I’m sorry for all this. I mean, I don't know why I was so persistant in getting you here,’ he said remorsefully.

‘It’s alright. At least I did get treated even though I wasn’t originally injured,’ she replied with a smile.

‘Let’s head back to class,’ he grinned. He was alleviated. 

Then they both returned back to the classroom and continued learning. Despite the normal situation, Hyeri can’t help but feel something. The scene in the infirmary kept replaying in her mind.