Chapter 40

My Guardians

 

In the castle, everyone was now well nourished and wide awake. Everyone gathered around as Lay sat with his eyes closed and concentrated on the thought of Kai and of his whereabouts. An overwhelming feeling suddenly filled him and he quickly pulled out of Kai’s mind. He came back to reality with a big gasp. KwangMi was the first to react.

“Oppa, what happened?” KwangMi said.  Lay’s eyes were still wide and he was still gasping for air in shock.

“I-I don’t know.” Lay started to breathe more normally.  “There was just so much… emotion. I couldn’t stay in his mind.”

“Did you at least see where he was?” Kris asked, surprisingly worried. Even though Kai and Kris didn’t get along, he worried for him. He’d always thought of his fights as something similar to fights brothers would have; “brotherly love” he would call it in his heart.

“No. Everything just seemed…dark.” Lay admitted, still a bit lost at was just occurred.

“Lay Oppa, you rest. I’ll try.” KwangMi said.

“No, you can’t. Everything he feels, you will feel. What if you get hurt?” Lay protested.

“If Kai Oppa is hurting I’ll hurt with him. At least we’d share the pain.” KwangMi retaliated. KwangMi sat comfortably and did as Lay did. She concentrated on Kai and only on Kai. She was oblivious to the things going on in the room and couldn’t hear anything. An excruciating flood of emotion came over her and she felt herself going numb.

‘No.’ She wasn’t going to be weak, not now, not when she’s so close to reaching Kai. She, in a sense, pushed through the thick walls of emotion and vaguely saw the brightness of the sky.

Kai sniffled and tried to wipe away the tears with his sleeve, but they just kept forming.

“Dumb. Idiot. Fool. Senseless. Moronic.” Kai repeated such words to himself while doing that. His nose was red, eyes puffy and he felt childish again. Honestly, all he wanted right now was the comfort of a mother. He wanted someone’s bodily warmth and verbal warmth. Someone to tell him it was all okay or that it would all be. Someone to tell him that he mattered, that he was loved.

He didn’t have that.

He never did and it was eating him alive.

KwangMi’s physical body shed a tear. She could hear his thoughts and could feel the pain he was feeling.

“What’s going on?” Chen asked. Everyone was extremely worried, when she finally opened her eyes everyone let out a sigh of relief.

She cried into Lay's chest for a while. She knew what Kai wanted she had, all of it. His misery was because of her ancestors.

The part she knew at least.

What killed him most was that when he fell in love with her, he fell hard, but she didn't know that.

The confused repeats of "it's all okay" "don't worry" "you did well" and so on were sincere to the extent in which it could farthest go, but that still wasn't very far. The lack of sincerity was because of Exo’s bewilderment to the current situation. They had no idea what was going on, but it seemed too painful for KwangMi to say.

"Did you see where he is?" Lay whispered to KwangMi. KwangMi nodded, wiping her tears away, but more fell.

"H-He's at a park." she croaked. "He can't be at one near the castle; I've been to all of them and know exactly what they look like. It's not them." KwangMi sat up and wiped her tears again. They'd stopped falling, but her face was still pale, eyes still swollen and nose still red at its tip; little did they know Kai looked the same way.

"Kai can only go places where he's been before right? Like he has to know what the place looks like, right?" Xiumin spoke up. Most people nodded while others also waited for the answer to the question.

"Maybe, did he possibly have a park in his hometown?" Xiumin followed up with another question. It was a possibility, he had a strong point, but Kai didn't really talk about his past. The most anyone knew was that he was Jongin before he left, but KwangMi didn't know that.

"Wait, Jongin and I came from the same town." D.O remembered.

"Jongin?" KwangMi questioned the unfamiliar name.

"Neh, most guardians change from their birth name." Kris said. "The only ones who kept their real names are Luhan, Tao... in a way, Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Sehun."

"It's still my name hyung. We've had this conversation before. I didn't technically change my name I just shortened it." Tao argued.

"No time for arguing." Luhan smacked the both of them in the back of the head. " Was there a park in your hometown D.O?"

"Yeah, it was where I met Jongin."

"We have to get to that park quickly, before he leaves and he can leave fast. It's too painful to go into his mind. How can we get there fast?" Suho thought out loud.

"We shouldn't all go." KwangMi said. "He feels isolated from the world and isn't quite ready to fit in again."

"Then who will go?" Baekhyun asked.

"I will." D.O said.

"And so will I." KwangMi said.

"Listen," Chanyeol said sternly, as to warn them not to screw up. "this isn't a lover's quest or anything like that. Judging from what KwangMi felt after going into his brain, he's in an emotional roller coaster ride."

"I know," D.O said. "This is to bring Kai back and maybe I could see Jongin once again."
"His thought was about his parents." KwangMi said. Exo softened knowing Kai was the least fond of his parents out of all of them.

"My family took his parents away from him and made him have a hatred towards them. I want to, no, I need to go apologize."

"You should go then." Sehun said before anyone else could in. "before he leaves." Both nodded, feeling the same amount of determination. D.O remembered the town to be fairly close to the castle. He and KwangMi used their powers to quickly go out of sight and head to where Jongin still hopefully was.