Chapter 21

My Guardians

 

KwangMi opened her eyes expectantly.

“Congratulations KwangMi.” D.O said smiling before of her. KwangMi looked at the living being in front of her with a stunned face. KwangMi’s heartbeat raced and tears started to form in her eyes.

“D-D.O Oppa” She croaked. “You’re alive?” Her tears slowly fell from her eyes. However, she smiled through her tears.

“How?” KwangMi asked wiping her tears away.

“Lay’s a better healer than we think.” D.O said directing his smile to Lay. KwangMi looked at Lay confused.

“You… brought D.O back to life?!” KwangMi asked wide-eyed. Lay sheepishly nodded.

“Ho- No, it doesn’t matter how. Thank you Lay.” KwangMi sensitively said.

“Anything for you KwangMi.” Lay said.

“Come on let’s get home so the workers can close up.” Kris said. Everybody moved out of the place and headed home. D.O waited for KwangMi and held her hand as they walked along. They enjoyed the company of each other once again as they walked home. Everyone smiled happy to see KwangMi not having to force a smile. Soon, they all reached home and went to their respective rooms. KwangMi happily put her dress away and placed her crown on a shelf. She plopped down onto her bed in more comfortable clothes. KwangMi wore a smiled that went across her whole face.

‘He’s alive!’ KwangMi happily thought. She heard a knock on the door and calmed down a bit.

“Come in~” She happily called. D.O opened the door.

“You’re not asleep yet?” D.O asked. KwangMi energetically shook her head. D.O smiled at her cuteness. It was one of the many things he missed about being alive.

“I have a present for you.” D.O said. KwangMi didn’t even notice D.O was hiding something behind his back. KwangMi got up off her bed, her happy expression changed into one of confusion.

“Aniyo, the best gift I could have was getting you back.” D.O softened at her kind words. She was always a sweet talker and she never wanted people to waste anything on her. D.O smiled happy that she didn’t change.

“Here” D.O insisted and held out a black box to her. “Chukhahae.”

“Gomawo.” KwangMi shyly took the box from D.O gratefully. She opened the box and inside she found a gold necklace. It was a heart and the word ‘Love’ was engraved to the top. Below the word was a smaller heart made with diamonds. However, it looked like it was missing a piece on the left side.

“It’s beautiful.” KwangMi said taking it out of the box. D.O smiled, pleased.

“Look.” He said pulling a chain from under his shirt. His necklace was silver and the inside that was missing made a heart. On the perimeter of the heart, the words ‘I love you’ were inscribed. KwangMi noticed something familiar about the right side of his necklace.

“Can I see your necklace?” D.O asked putting his hand out. KwangMi gave him the necklace and he easily clasped the sides together.

“They’re couple necklaces.” KwangMi whispered shocked. D.O nodded. D.O unclasped the back of the necklace and stepped towards her.

"This way, I'll always know you'll be mine." He said as he put the unconnected necklace around her neck. She moved her hair to make it easier for him.

"And you'll know," he said as he put the clasp back on. "That I'll be yours." He bent down and gently kissed her lips; the thing he's never had the courage to do ever before in his past life. KwangMi's eyes widened at his touch, but she felt so warm in his embrace. The kiss felt perfect.

"I love you, Queen Jung KwangMi." D.O said pulling his head back to stop the kiss. His forehead rested on KwangMi's.

"I love you too, D.O Oppa." KwangMi responded. She'd always feel special with D.O, but love was the last thing she thought it was. The small, kind gestures D.O did for her, KwangMi just thought was his job. The feeling she felt around him, she tried to ignore, but with that one kiss, she knew for a fact that this was love. D.O smiled, happy KwangMi hadn't rejected his present, or his love for her. Something KwangMi's teacher said suddenly came into her mind.

"But guardians and royals aren't allowed to have relations." KwangMi said. D.O's smile faded. Anger took over his emotions, but he kept calm.

"What do we do?" KwangMi sank down to the bed.
'Run away? No, that wouldn't work, she's the only person left of the Exotics and there's no way I'd leave Exo ever again.' D.O thought. For a while the room was silent as they stayed there distressed by that one rule; the one rule that kept them apart. The only rule the kept them apart.

"You should go rest; it's been a long day for both of us." KwangMi said breaking the silence. She forced a smile. D.O hesitantly moved and walked out of the room.

‘Thank you world. Everything felt perfect with D.O back, but I can’t even have him. Why are you so cruel to me world? The one time I’m actually in love.” KwangMi thought tucking herself into bed. A tear escaped from her eyes. She hung onto the necklace D.O gave her and slowly fell asleep.