Chapter 6

My Guardians

 

KwangMi went back to reading

‘Cute Oppas.’ She thought as she sat comfortably on her bed. She became a lean, mean, reading machine again. In what would seem like forever for a normal person, KwangMi heard a knock on the door. Lay stuck his head through the opening.

“Princ- I mean, KwangMi, it’s time for dinner.” Lay didn’t let himself in, nor did he try to get KwangMi’s full attention. Thankfully, KwangMi made sure she would be alert so she didn’t insult anyone else.

“Coming Oppa~!” KwangMi quickly saved her page and ran to Lay.

“Hmm, you’re the oppa that healed me. Your name is…” KwangMi thought for a bit. She made up many names that started with the letter ‘L’ until it hit her.

“Lay! You’re Lay Oppa!” She smiled at herself proud. Lay smiled, happy she remembered him. He started walking and it was awkwardly silent.

“Lay Oppa~, tell me about yourself.” KwangMi broke the silence.

“Well, what do you want to know?” Lay smiled showing his dimple. KwangMi automatically smiled back.

“What’s your symbol?” KwangMi asked, making Lay blush.

“Promise you won’t laugh?” KwangMi raised an eyebrow.

“I never make promises about laughing. Sorry.” Lay sighed.

“I’m …. a unicorn.” Kwangmi stopped walking and chuckled.

“Awww! That’s adorable!” She gave Lay a hug. She made other comments, mainly about Lay being a unicorn. Lay turned a dark shade of red. They started walking down stairs and KwangMi was still talking about Lay being a unicorn. Kwangmi however tripped on the stairs. Lay, who was leading the way, caught her wrists and brought her close to him. KwangMi’s eyes were closed, but when she opened them, she expected to see the floor like she usually did. Instead, she saw Lay’s face. They were so close she could feel him breathe. She quickly regained her balance and both people looked away shyly as they blushed. Lay cleared his throat and tried to bring his face back to its original color.

“We should get to the dining room.” Lay pointed in the direction nervously. KwangMi reluctantly nodded and followed Lay. The rest of the way, no one said anything. It was much too awkward. Finally, they reached the dining room. Lay pushed open a pair of huge doors and revealed it to KwangMi. Everyone was seated and ready to eat. Lay took the seat in between Xiumin and Chen. The only other seat that was empty was the one at the tail end of the table.

‘I guess that’s where I go.’ KwangMi sat across her father, but the table was very long, there was no way they could touch.

“What took you so long? “ KwangJoo asked as he gestured everyone to start eating. Lay and KwangMi exchanged glances.

“I-I tripped down some stairs.” KwangMi stuttered nervously. Hopefully, no one noticed. Kwangjoo raised an eyebrow.

‘Really? I asked a simple question. What is wrong with the younger generation?’ He thought taking his food. At this point, KwangMi and Xiumin were the only people still filling their plates.

“You’re going to eat all of that?”Kris asked looking a bit concerned.

“Yeah, probably.” She nodded.

‘I will never understand humans.’ Kris glanced over at Xiumin. ‘I won’t understand him either.’ Kris thought as he started eating his food. KwangMi started shoveling food into .

“Are you guys having an eating competition?” Luhan asked looking at KwangMi and Xiumin with a raised eyebrow. KwangMi looked up, filled with food. Xiumin looked up at KwangMi and they exchanged smiles. They hi-fived across the table.

“I’ve finally found someone who eats as much as me!” Xiumin exclaimed once he swallowed. KwangMi smiled.

“You’re…” KwangMi started but couldn’t finish.

“I’m Xiumin.” He said with a smile and started to stuff his face again.

‘Xiumin Oppa, okay. I have to remember that.’ KwangMi started to fill again too. Soon, dinner was over. Some people brought out glasses with red liquid in it.

“What’s that?” KwangMi eyes her drink weirdly. That all raised an eyebrow.

“Don’t you drink blood?” Kai asked taking a sip from his glass.

“N-Not on a daily basis, only when Umma made me.” KwangMi whispered the last part. KwangJoo almost chocked on his drink.

“You don’t drink blood?!” He was on the verge of yelling.

“Umma made me. She’d usually give me an animal’s blood.” KwangMi mumbled. Everyone looked at her weirdly.

‘How is she supposed to be a vampire? Doesn’t she ever crave blood?’

“Stop looking at me like that! It’s uncomfortable!” KwangMi said waving her hands in front of her face, bringing them out of their thoughts. Sehun took her glass and nudged it to KwangMi. She shook her head and refused.

“Drink it.” Sehun said contently. KwangMi’s expression softened. She took the glass and sniffed the blood. She made a disgusted face at the unfamiliar smell.  She took a sip reluctantly and started to cough. She made an appalled face and didn’t try to hide how distasteful she found it.

“That’s why I don’t drink it. I find it disgusting.” KwangMi said not changing her facial expression. She felt a bit nauseous when she saw everyone else’s glass to be empty.

“Are you okay?” Suho asked his eyes fixed on her. It seemed as though if she started to fall, he would be the first one to jump and catch her first. KwangMi nodded and gave a weak smile.

“Exo-K, Exo-M, come help with the chores.” A lady said coming into the dining room. She bowed when she saw KwangJoo and KwangMi. The boys sighed, bowed and followed the lady. KwangMi just realized something as her nausea lulled down. 

“Why are they called ‘Exo-M’ and ‘Exo-K’? Aren’t they all your guardians?” KwangMi relaxed in her chair.

“Haven’t you heard?” KwangJoo asked surprised.

“Heard what?” KwangMi asked a bit confused. KwangJoo sighed.

“Your uncle, my younger brother, died from a Striker attack. Exo-M failed to protect him.” KwangMi looked shocked. Hadn’t the Striker that attacked her say that his people killed one of the Exotics? That was her uncle? KwangMi’s face hardened as she tried to hold back tears. She knew how it felt to lose someone she loved. She was a wreck when her mother died; imagine how her father felt when he lost his brother. He lost his mother and father years back and his brother was the only family he had left.

“So, did Exo-M automatically become your guardians?” KwangMi asked once she felt she could without letting tears fall.

“Aniyo. I had the authority to either get rid of Exo-M permanently or to keep them as my own. They were inexperienced, so I kept them.” KwangMi smiled at her father’s kindness.

“Who’s in Exo-M?” KwangMi asked a bit embarrassed and a bit scared her father would be angry.

“Didn’t they all introduce themselves?”

“Neh, but there’s so many of them! I’m trying to remember them.” KwangJoo smiled sincerely.

 “Kris is the leader of Exo-M.”

“Okay. Kris is the really, really tall one with blonde hair and long fingers right?” KwangJoo questioned why she remembered the ‘long fingers’ part but nodded.

“Good. Then there’s Lay, Xiumin, Tao, Luhan and Chen.” KwangMi nodded as she tried to bring a mental picture of each person into her mind. KwangMi smiled at herself proud she could.

“Why is their name Exo-M?” She continued and asked.

“My brother’s name was Myungsoo. He would’ve been the heir to the throne.”

“Oh! So the ‘M’ stands for Myungsoo and the ‘K’ stands for KwangJoo?” KwangJoo nodded, confirming KwangMi was correct.

“Why don’t you call them ‘Exo’ now that they are you know, together as one group?” KwangMi suggested. KwangJoo smiled at her interest.

“Sure. They are one, Exo.” KwangJoo said as the door opened. Another lady entered the dining room.

“Sir, the council would like to speak to you.” She said after she bowed. KwangJoo got up and started to follow here.

“Feel free to explore the castle.” KwangJoo said as left the room.

‘Explore?’ KwangMi went out the door.

‘Wait, how do I get anywhere from here? Where’s my room?!’ KwangMi panicked as she turned left. She tried to recall how she got downstairs with Lay, but everything looked so unfamiliar.

‘Crap. Where am I going?’ She continued to make random turns.

“Oh, jwesonghamnida.” She bowed.

“It’s okay gongju!” Kai panicked.

“You’re…K…K…Kai?” KwangMi uncertainly said. Kai nodded as he poked the side of his mouth.

“Why are you here gongju? Your room is on the other side of the castle.” KwangMi’s eyes widened.

“Jinja?!  I was going in the wrong direction the whole time?!”  KwangMi started to hit her head lightly. Kai smirked.

“Come on. I’ll take you to your room.”

“Gomawoyo~.” KwangMi said as she started walking. She looked back, but Kai hadn’t moved. He was just standing there smirking.

“What?” KwangMi asked. In a second Kai was right in front of her. She was scared and tripped over her own feet.

“Come on. I know a way to get there faster.” Kai put his hand out. KwangMi took his hand shyly.

‘Her hands are so soft and small.” Kai smirked when he saw KwangMi trying to hide her face.

“I can still see you, you know that right?” KwangMi blushed even harder.

“Babo.” Kai said as he snapped his fingers. In a second KwangMi saw she was in her room.

‘Whoa, that would be useful in life.’ She admired the power.

“Okay, I’m going to finish my chores.” Kai said a he was just about to snap his fingers.

“Wait!” Kai flinched at her sudden outburst.

“Can you give a tour of the house?” Kai raised an eyebrow. Why would she ask him of all people? That was really the leader’s job.

‘Suho wouldn’t mind. I finished a good portion of my chores anyway.’

“Please~?” KwangMi begged with ageyo.

“Arraso, arraso.” Kai put his hand out.

“Can we walk? I’m not really up for the whole teleporting thing.” KwangMi shyly smiled. Kai shrugged and nodded, but didn’t put his hand down. She reluctantly held Kai’s hand uncomfortably. Kai made a face and laced his fingers through KwangMi’s, making her blush.

‘Better.’ Kai started walking. Their hands were still laced together and showed no sign of parting.

Kai quickly showed KwangMi the floor they were on, which was mostly rooms. Now they were on the second floor and in the kitchen. He glanced over at KwangMi who was exploring the kitchen. He was sitting down near the counter while she did this. She looked at everything. It looked like she was looking to buy a new house. He gave a small chuckle, making KwangMi confused.

“Yah, Kai. What are you doing here?” A low, mysterious voice said from the entrance. KwangMi’s heart skipped a beat. Kai knew who it was immediately, but showed no sudden reaction or interest.

“I’m showing KwangMi around. Is there a problem with that Kris?” Kai showed he was a bit annoyed by his voice. Kris took a deep breath in an attempt to stay calm. KwangMi could feel tension building, but couldn’t understand why.

“I’m you’re hyung, speak to me respectfully.” Kris said through his teeth. Kai smirked and chuckled as if in disbelief.

“Yet you’re training under me now right, hyung?” Kai said cockily. Kris grew angry at that comment and his hands clenched into a fist.

“Princess, I think you should go back to your room.” Kris’s face was red with anger. KwangMi had been in fights before and could defend herself well, but she sure as heck did not want to get in between these two people.

“I-I don’t know how.” KwangMi confessed.

“YAH, KAI! I TOLD YOU TO CLEAN HERE!” Everyone heard someone yelled.

‘Come on D.O, I wanted to fight this guy.’ Kai sulked as he started to walk out.

“I guess my part of the tour ends here.” Kai turned to face KwangMi.

“Have fun with the ‘Dark lord of the Underworld’.” Kai smirked as he walked out and purposely bumped into Kris. Kris made a puzzled face as he heard Kai’s nickname for him. KwangMi tried to contain her laughter, but burst once Kai left the room.

“It wasn’t that funny.” Kris tried to convince himself more than KwangMi. KwangMi sighed as her laughter died down.

“Come on. I’ll take you to your room.” Kris gestured for her to come with him. They started walking upstairs to the rooms.

‘Dang. This boy never smiles. Why is he so serious all the time?’ KwangMi thought as she walked behind Kris. KwangMi tried to cover the awkwardness with yawns and comments about how tired she was, but Kris was too preoccupied in his thoughts to notice her trying to grab his attention. Kris stopped walking in a bit. He nodded for her to go inside. When she did he turned to leave.

“Kris?” KwangMi called before he left.

‘Whoa, she remembered my name?’ Kris thought in surprise as he turned to face her.

“Is something wrong? Do you not like me? You don’t say anything to me and don’t smile. It makes me feel like you don’t like me.” Kris softened at her words. Perhaps he was being a bit cold to her.

“No, no. A lot has happened in the past few days. Nothing’s wrong with you. You’re probably the best thing that has happened to me in a while.” Kris gave her a gummy smile as she blushed slightly.

“Good night Kris.” She smiled.

“Good night Princess.” Kris walked away and KwangMi closed the door. KwangMi smiled as she got ready for bed.

‘The ‘Dark lord of the Underworld’ has an awfully big heart.’ KwangMi thought with a chuckle.