Chapter 38

My Guardians

 

It was fall at the time; the leaves were just starting to change color and make their way down to the ground. Jongin was alone at the top of the slide. He watched as other kids his age slid down with a smile on their faces and whose parents caught them at the bottom.

He didn’t have that.

His parents were guardians and weren’t home, ever. He had two sisters, but he never knew where they were, he questioned whether he really did have sisters or not. He would eat leftovers that he surely didn’t make the day before, so it had to be them right? He hoped so.

“Yah, are you going to slide or just sit there?” Kai remembered a boy asked behind him, waiting impatiently. Kai slid down the slide, the wind hitting his face and a smile slowly growing on his face. He was suddenly pushed off the slide and he tripped, blood gushed out of his knee in great amounts.

“YAH! You have to get off the slide so other people can slide! Baekji!” The same boy from before yelled at him and kicked his leg.

“HyukJae!” Jongin heard someone call and run towards him. The boy seemed not too much older than him, maybe a year. He started to scold Hyukjae and told him to leave.

“Gwenchana?” The older boy asked.

“N-Neh, but it hurts a lot.” Jongin replied to the stranger. Jongin could tell that the stranger was worried about him.

“Where are your parents?” The older boy asked. Jongin hesitated to reply.

“I don’t know.” The older boy stopped digging through his backpack for a split second in shock engulfed by a thought, but shook it away immediately.

“They’re guardians for the King. They don’t come home.” Jongin added.

‘Wait! He could be human!’ Jongin realized. How was he supposed to take that back?The elder broke into a smile.

“Mine too.” Jongin’s eyes widened. He’d never met someone with guardians as parents.

“This will sting a bit.” The older boy informed. He placed an alcohol pad on Jongin’s cut lightly, but it still burned.

“AH!” Jongin cried in pain.

“Sshh. It’ll go away. I have to clean the cut.” The older boy tried to inform him so he would stop yelling. Soon, he took the pad away and pulled out a bandage.

“I thought- I thought- I thought you were going to help me. But- But you just hurt me more.” Jongin cried. The elder’s was filled with sadness.

“I didn’t mean to. I just didn’t want it to get infected to anything.” The older boy placed the bandage on top of the cut. “See? All better.” Jongin looked at his knee and couldn’t find his cut. The older boy got up and held his hand out. Jongin took it and was pulled up.

“You should head home and don’t stand up for too long on that leg, arraso?” Jongin nodded showing he understood. The older boy took a step back ready to leave.

“Wait, how do you know so much?” Jongin took a step towards him. The boy smirked and rolled up his pants.

“I’ve had a few accidents myself.” His legs were marked with scars and had bandages scattered around everywhere.

“What happened?!” Jongin panicked.

“I’m just a bit of a klutz, is all.” The boy scratched his head. The boy fixed his pants and hid his scars.

“I’m Kyungsoo.” The boy suddenly said his hand stretched out.

“I’m Jongin.” He took Kyungsoo’s hand and shook it.

“You shouldn’t go around telling people that your parents are guardians. We do live in the human world.” Kyungsoo scolded.

“I know.” Jongin blushed. “Sorry, I forgot.” Kyungsoo laughed.

“No need to be sorry, just be careful, okay?” Jongin nodded eagerly.

“Maybe one day we’ll work together.” Kyungsoo said. Jongin smiled at the thought.

“Go home and rest. We can play together tomorrow okay?” Kyungsoo smiled and Jongin happily left.

‘He really hasn’t changed.’ Kai thought with a smile. ‘I guess that’s a good thing. He became the closest thing to a family for me. No, he was part of my family. But I ran away from all that because of my own greed.’ A tear fell from Kai’s eyes as he snuggled closer to his knees. He left everything he loved, one way or another. He regretted it, but he didn’t go back. He couldn't go back, not now, not like this.