Chapter 29

My Guardians

 

Exo was gathered in the living room, just like Lay expected. When he walked in they all got up and bowed. He chuckled, expecting nothing less from them.


‘Of course, they would be uncomfortable.’ Lay thought.

“Don’t do that; there’s no need.” Lay said. They stood up straight.


“Well, you’re a prince now, we have to show you more respect.” Tao stated.


“No you don’t. I maybe the son of a King, but you guys have been my family for longer.” Lay said. Exo softened at his words. “Please don’t treat me any differently than you did before.” Lay shyly smiled. D.O was the first person to move.


“Then, it seems like you haven’t done some of your chores. Go sweep the hallways.” D.O smiled and said. Lay made an annoyed face and sighed.


“Arraso, arraso.” Lay said as he left with a smile. Lay went to the kitchen to get the broom, but on his way there he saw that the light was on in the meeting room. He could hear KwangMi’s muffled voice. He debated whether he should listen; his curiosity won over.


‘I should be allowed to listen; I am the Prince after all.’ Lay thought pressing his ear to the door.


“I want to change a law.” KwangMi requested.


“What?”


“Why?”


“It’s too early in your regain.”


“Wait a few years.” The council commented. KwangMi raised her hand in order to make them stop talking.


“I don’t want to wait. My father told me I had to follow my heart, that’s what I’m doing.” KwangMi said. The council member looked at her confused.


“He told you?” Dongwoo asked.
“Well, in his letter to me.” KwangMi clarified.


“He wrote you a letter too?” Sungyeol asked. KwangMi nodded her head.


“He told me to follow my heart and to cling onto what I desire.” KwangMi said. “Changing this law is what I want.”


“Well, which law?” Sunggyu asked.


“‘Guardians and royals aren’t allowed to have relations.’” KwangMi recited. “I want to abolish that law.” The council gasped in surprised. Lay smiled outside the door.


‘She’s doing it so she and D.O can be together.’ Lay thought to himself.


“That law was formed here. It was put to action in this region first and then spread. To change it from the same place it originated from would be strange, wouldn’t be?” Sungjong said.


“Not really. Change is bound to happen, it may or may not start from here, but change will occur eventually.” KwangMi stated.


“Yah! Lay, you’re supposed to be sweeping the hallways.” Kris said. Lay quickly spun around with wide eyes.


“W-Well, you see, I was going to get the broom, but...” Lay blabbered.


“You said I can still act the same to you right?” Kris asked. Lay looked at him innocently and nodded.


“Wa-” Lay started. Kris lightly slapped the back of Lay’s head.


“Stop eavesdropping and sweep.” Kris said.


“Arraso!” Lay sulked as he rubbed his head on his way to the kitchen. Kris scoffed.


‘Unicorns.’ Kris thought walking away and chuckled to himself.