Chapter 37

My Guardians

 

The sun hit Kai face and the bright light of the sun welcomed him to a new day. He rolled over on his side and declined the offer to wake up, but still the sun made the darkness when he closed his eyes restlessly bright. He gave up with a small sigh and slowly opened his eyes. He sat up and leaned against a nearby tree as he rubbed his eyes. He recollected his thoughts and questioned why he was outside. He smiled at the memories that ran through his mind when he took in the familiar scenery. He brought his knees to his chest and wrapped his arms around them.

'I haven't been here since I've been called Jongin.' Kai thought. His stomach started growling telling him it was time for breakfast.

D.O sautéed the vegetables on the stove skillfully, but worry filled his heart. He wore a frown as he saw his fellow comrades walking still half asleep, but none of them being Kai. KwangMi walked in with a bright aura unlike the other people in the room; she and D.O we really the only morning people, but even his mood seemed gloomy.

"Oppa, gwenchana?" She asked after saying her individual good mornings to the rest of EXO. "Oh, where is Kai?" She asked giving him a quick peck on the cheek. He gave a small smile at her affection towards him, but his frown came right back at the thought of his missing friend.

"I don't know. It worries me." D.O confessed.

"You haven't seen him?" KwangMi started to worry. "But, you guys share a room. Where could he be; he would definitely be here for breakfast." She took a seat next to her brother with a frown on her face.

"Don't worry, after breakfast one of us can try to get through to his spirit okay?" Lay suggested. KwangMi nodded.

Of all places Kai could've gone, he decided to go to the park. Not the park near the castle though, this one was a bit more special to him and he hoped to D.O as well.  He woke up at the park in his hometown. The park where he met his close friend Kyungsoo, now known as D.O.
 

Fate does funny things, bringing two close childhood friends into possible lifelong rivals. Of course, before that, fate has to bring the two together. Kai let out a sigh looking at the slide where the two of them met.

'He was an Umma back then too.' Kai remembered. Soon enough, he started reminiscing, feasibly trying to find out how it all went wrong in his side of their friendship at least. He took out his poor excuse for breakfast that morning and thought back at his good times with Kyungsoo, starting from the first time they met.