Chapter 18

My Guardians

 

Lay was in the practice room alone with only the light to accompany him. His hands glowed and his eyes were heavy.

 ‘All I need is a lasting heartbeat. Why can’t I get a heartbeat?!’ Lay thought angry at himself. His hands stopped glowing and he rested against the wall.

“Why am I even doing this?” Lay said out loud massaging his forehead. He looked at the dead body in front of him. D.O’s dead body reminded Lay of his motivation.

“H-Hyungs, I need to get something out of my chest.” D.O said nervously as he called all of Exo into the living room. Everyone looked at D.O confused. D.O fidgeted with his hands as he blushed. For a while he stood there uneasily.

“D.O? Say what you want to say.” Suho said. D.O opened his mouth, but barely any sound came out.

“D.O, if you didn’t have anything to say-” Kris started.

“I’m in love with KwangMi.” D.O blurted. Everybody looked at D.O surprised. D.O sighed felling crushed.

“I-I know. Guardians and royalty aren’t supposed to have relations of any kind, but I can’t help it.” D.O said. D.O’s eyes were brimmed with tears as he realized the coldness of the world. No one in Exo had seen this side of D.O. He seemed childish and weak. It was the exact opposite of his original self.

“Why did you tell us this D.O? What do you want us to do?” Suho said. He hurt seeing his comrade like this.

“I don’t know. I just needed to tell someone. I couldn’t keep it to myself anymore.” D.O said. His voice cracked as he fought tears.

‘I have to do it for D.O. KwangMi doesn’t see him as nothing, I know that. I can’t let him die full of regrets.’ Lay thought. Lay sat up straight and hovered his glowing hands above D.O’s chest.

“Lay? What are you doing?” Suho said from the entrance. Lay jumped a bit.

‘Oh, it’s just Suho.” Lay sighed in relief.

“I’m trying to bring D.O back.” Lay said. Suho looked at Lay stunned.

“How long have you been up doing this?” Suho questioned.

“An hour, maybe 2.” Lay answered with a shrug.

“You’re tired eyes say otherwise.” Lay touched his eyes and could feel the bags that were there.

“Do you really think you can bring him back?” Suho said kneeling next to Lay.

“Maybe, I just need a lasting heartbeat.” Lay said.

“So you’ve gotten a heartbeat before?!” Lay nodded his head.

“It’s only lasted for a few seconds though.” Lay said with a yawn. Suho smiled at his determination.

“Get some rest.” Suho said.

“I can’t; if I let him rest for too long, it would be harder to get him back.” Lay said moving his hands over D.O again. Suho looked at Lay bewildered.

“How do you know all these things? I know for a fact this is way too advanced for your level.” The light from Lay’s hands dimmed just a bit, for just a second. Suho could see Lay’s sudden sadness.

“When I first started guarding the Exotics, I was 4. I was told my parents died trying to protect Prince Myungsoo.  I still don’t remember my parents. All I learned was healing. My teachers edged into my brain that my parents wanted this for me; that they wanted me to guard the Exotics.” Lay paused for a second, catching his breath. “One teacher was very special to me; he was like a father to me. He was very patient, calm and caring to all of Exo-M, but I’d like to think especially to me. Perhaps, it was because we had the same power, but then again he was the Prince.”

“You were close to Prince Myungsoo?!” Suho exclaimed. Lay nodded.

“He was a very patient person. I’m very forgetful, but he always took extra time to help me. I didn’t catch on to certain things very quickly no matter how hard a tried, but he always stayed by my side encouraging me.” Lay rested against the wall. “When I was 15 years old, Myungsoo told me about a special power that healers had.”

“Bringing the dead back to life.” Suho whispered. Lay nodded. “Did he ever formally teach it to you?” Lay shook his head.

“He gave me many books on it, but I’ve never tried it.”

“Why didn’t you try it on Prince Myungsoo?” Lay guiltily sighed.

“I did, but he blocked off my spirit from his when he died.” Suho looked at Lay puzzled.

“Spirit?”

“Yes. Many people don’t know this about healers, but we become very attached to people because we grow spiritually attached, not only physically. Myungsoo’s spirit was blocked off from the world. No one could bring him back unless they knew how to ‘unlock’ his spirit.”

“So, KwangMi… and KwangJoo…” Suho put the pieces together.

“No, KwangJoo isn’t a healer, but he is the son of one. KwangJoo’s mother was a healer but his father was super strong.”

“But how do you know KwangMi is a healer?”

“Myungsoo told me once before that I would eventually wield a force field.” Suho nodded, showing Lay he understood.

“I still don’t understand; who are you doing this for?”

“I’m doing this for KwangMi and for D.O.” Suho raised an eyebrow.

“I can understand D.O, but KwangMi?”

“She likes D.O too. You can tell from the way they always hang out with each other. They seem to know what each other is talking about without either of them having to say anything. I could feel KwangMi’s heartbreak when D.O died. I need to bring him back to life.” Lay continued his work and Suho sat there watching for a bit.

“You know Kwangmi thought you left her. She sent us to look for you.”

“I know. I already have spiritual contact with her. She just doesn’t know how to use it yet.” Suho looked surprised.

‘Maybe you’re not as bad of a healer as I thought.’ Suho could see Lay having trouble to stay awake.

“Everyone is looking for us.” Lay suddenly said.

“Will you be fine here by yourself?” Suho asked. Lay nodded. “I’ll get someone to bring you food.” Suho got up and went to the door.

‘I’ve never seen him like this. Lay really must care about KwangMi.’