Chapter 19

My Guardians

 

Lay was now in the room with Kai. Someone would always stay with Lay to make sure he didn’t run out of energy or faint. Kai was mystified by his comrade’s unknown power; everyone was. Lay had gotten a heartbeat a few times more, but none have lasted. Lay’s ear was against D.O’s chest. Badum - badum. He heard a heart beat again. Badum. Badum. The heartbeat was still there. It was the longest time it had been there.

“Kai get blood.” Lay said. Kai hesitated.

Go now.” Lay ordered. Badum. Badum. The sound stayed.

“Here” Kai said when he came back. Badum. Badum. The sound was still there.

“Put him on the wall and help him sit up.” Lay ordered. Kai quickly help D.O’s relaxed, uncoordinated body up against the wall. Lay put the glass to D.O’s lips and poured the blood in. Lay closed his mouth, so the blood wouldn’t spill out.

‘Come on D.O.’ Both Kai and Lay thought. Badum - badum. Lay could still hear D.O’s heart beat.

‘You’re alive, just come to your senses.’ Lay pleaded in his mind. Lay heard D.O swallow the blood. His eyes fluttered open as he coughed.

“H-He’s alive.” Kai said startled. Lay looked just as surprised, maybe even more. D.O looked innocently confused.

“What?” He asked tilting his head.

 ‘H-He remembers how to speak?!’ Lay was surprised. It was very rare that a person, when brought back to life would remember anything from before. It would be like a rebirth; the person would have to learn everything over again. They heard a grumble come from D.O’s stomach.

“Kai, can you get me something to eat? I don’t feel that great.” D.O asked holding his head obviously in pain. Kai looked at D.O with his mouth wide open; Lay did the same.

‘He remembers Kai too?!’ Kai looked at Lay unsure of what to do.

“Go get him some food!” Lay said. Kai quickly flashed out of the room.

Kai saw the 9 members of Exo casually talking and eating.

“Kai, what are you doing here ag-” Kris started.

“D.O’s awake.” Kai said before Kris finished. “He wants food.” Everyone looked at Kai like he was crazy.

“Didn’t you hear me?! D.O’s awake! He’s hungry!” Kai blabbered on. Chen quickly started to pile a plate with food.

“Here” Chen said finally giving a plate full of food to Kai.

“Can we come and see him?” Baekhyun asked. Kai shrugged.

“I’ll ask Lay and come back.” Kai said as he left. Lay was having a conversation with D.O.

“Do you remember who KwangMi is? Or who the Exotics are?” Lay was saying when Kai walked in.

“Lay, why are you asking me all these questions? Of course I know who those people are!” D.O said annoyed.

“Here D.O, eat.” Kai said handing the plate to D.O. He gladly accepted. He ate as though he had never seen food.

“The others want to see D.O too.” Kai said.

“I think he’s fine. They should be able to see him.” Lay smiled proud of himself.

“Does he remember that he was in a war and died?” Kai asked quietly.

“He doesn’t seem to, but that might scare him. I’ll tell him later. For now, he knows the important things.” Lay responded. “Go get Exo right now.”

“What about KwangMi should I get her?”

“No. I want D.O to surprise her.” Lay smiled.

“Does he remember his feelings for KwangMi?” Kai whispered hopefully.

“I believe so.” Lay replied. Kai’s face dropped. He put away his feelings for KwangMi for D.O. He didn’t want to compete for someone neither of them would probably get. Plus, he could see the way KwangMi looks at D.O, she never looked at him that way.

“I’ll go get the others.” Kai said. Lay nodded and Kai flashed out. Everyone in the kitchen looked up. 

“Come on. Lay and D.O are in the practice room.” Kai said. Everyone smiled gladly as they followed Kai.

“Oh! Hyungs! Annyeong~!” D.O said swallowing his food. Exo felt tears forming in their eyes from the happiness of seeing their colleague alive and healthier than ever.

“How are you feeling?” Xiumin asked first.

“I’m fine, waeyo? Why do you all look so sad?” D.O asked ingenuously.

“We’re not sad we’re happy.” Suho said.

“Does he remember the war?” Kris whispered to Lay. Lay shook his head.

“He doesn’t remember what happened recently.” Lay said.

“But wouldn’t we have to tell him, because we’d have to tell him that KwangJoo died and that KwangMi was becoming queen.” Chen pointed out. Lay’s eyes widened at how stupid he found himself to be.

‘I forgot about that.’ Lay thought mentally slapping himself.

“I’m done~!” D.O said cutely holding his plate up like a little kid. Exo chuckled a bit, remembering a slight emptiness without him here, even if it was only for a few hours.

“I don’t want KwangMi to see D.O. I want to wait until after her inauguration, like a present for her.” Lay told Exo his plan for KwangMi. Exo smiled thinking about how happy she would be.

“We should tell D.O now then.” Sehun said.

“Tell me what?” D.O put his plate down slowly. Lay looked at everyone for permission to begin. Then he told D.O the whole story; the story about the Exotics being in a war, KwangJoo dying and D.O himself dying. Lay took a deep breath when he finished, letting D.O understand everything.

“So, I was dead, but you brought me back to life?” D.O said. Lay nodded.

“Whoa, that’s awesome.” D.O smiled. Lay chuckled.

“All you have to do is stay here and make sure KwangMi doesn’t see you until tomorrow.” Lay said. D.O nodded understanding.

 “Oppas~~!” KwangMi skipped around the house. The last place she needed to look was the practice room. Exo heard her coming down the steps.

“What do we do?!” Sehun panicked.  Everyone looked at each other.

“D.O stay here. Don’t go anywhere ever. You have to stay in this room for today.” Lay said. D.O nodded. Exo left the room, leaving D.O alone.

‘At least no one changed.’ D.O thought to himself. He could hear everyone going upstairs.

‘It’s nice being alive.’ D.O smiled to himself.