Chapter 2

My Guardians

 

“Umma~ I’m home!” KwangMi said as she swung her backpack onto the couch.

“How was class?” SooMi came out of the kitchen and asked.

“The same as usual, boring. I’m hungry!” KwangMi started rummaging through the fridge.

“KwangMi, the food is on the table honey!” SooMi said chuckling.

“Jinja?! Ah~ Gomawoyo Umma~! Saranghamnida~!” KwangMi hugged her.

“Aigoo~ you only hug me when I make food for you.” Soomi her hair and hugged back.

“That’s because when you make food for me I know you love me so~ much.” KwangMi said sitting down at the table. “Umma! Come eat with me!” SooMi sat down with a smile. KwangMi fed Soomi as they laughed together. KwangMi rarely ever acted like this to anyone. She really only acted this cute to her mom. Otherwise KwangMi was a bit cold and easily annoyed. Her experience with her father made it hard for her to trust, not only males, but anyone for that matter. KwangMi was also a bit bossy. Although her mother was quite young, KwangMi treated her as though she was an old, disabled woman. She was a bit over protective of her mother.

“Umma, I’ll wash, you dry, arraso?” KwangMi said taking the dishes and putting them in the sink.

“Arraso, arraso.” SooMi took the drying rag. A few minutes into their washing, the doorbell rang.

“I’ll get it.” SooMi said putting the rag down and walked to the door.

“Annye-“She started until she saw who it was. Well, the problem was, she didn’t know who was at the door. However the creature’s bloodshot, red eyes, build body, and tall structure gave it away. A Striker had found them.

“Umma~ who i-“KwangMi stopped when she saw just a bit of what was at the door.

“Hello human. And princess.” The Striker said in its raspy voice. KwangMi cleared her voice.

“No one here is a princess.” KwangMi tried to show no fear, but everything in the room knew better. The Striker let itself in, pushing SooMi away. Its hands were rough and strong.

“Oh, but there is, and you know it Princess Jung KwangMi of the Exotic family.” It hissed. “My people have killed one of the Exotics. I would be glad to kill one more. Unless, you come with me, perhaps, you and your human mother could live.”

“No! I will never become a Striker.’ KwangMi started to back away. She knew what to expect next.

“Then, say goodbye to life Princess.” The Striker jumped but didn’t hurt KwangMi. She was quick, but it was still faster. It swung its arm and sent her flying across the room. Her body filled with pain. The Striker smirked. It caught a glimpse of SooMi and switched targets. The Striker grabbed SooMi by the neck.

‘Go get the spear!’ SooMi mouthed. KwangMi already thought of that, but how would she sneak out. The Striker underestimated SooMi and loosened its grip. SooMi took this opportunity to squirm out. She dashed out the door.

‘A distraction.’ KwangMi thought as she swiftly ran down the stairs to her basement. She found the spear and dashed outside.

‘Why can’t we afford a house near people? A house near vampires would help right about now too!’ KwangMi thought as she met the Striker again. It smirked seeing the spear.

“Now what are you going to do with that? You have no experience with a spear.” How did the Striker know so much about KwangMi?

“Throw it!”SooMi yelled, trapped in the Striker’s grip.

“Shut up! The Striker tightened its grip around SooMi’s neck.

“Throw it, and she dies princess. Your choice. Do you really want the only family you have to die?” Tear started to form in KwangMi’s eyes.

“Have faith in your father!” SooMi yelled. Tears started to fall from KwangMi’s eyes. The Striker again tightened his grip.

“I told you to shut up!” KwangMi had to choose her mother’s fate. What was her mother thinking?

“Umma. Saranghaeyo.” KwangMi said as she realized what her mom wanted. SooMi nodded in too much pain to reply.

“Your decision princess?” The Striker smirked. KwangMi closed her eyes and tightened her grip on the spear. She was enraged now. She couldn’t find any way out of this mess.

“Don’t call me that!” KwangMi yelled as she threw the spear. In one quick motion, the Striker broke SooMi’s neck. It seemed as easy as breaking a stick. Dodging the spear wasn’t as easy. The spear slashed its arm. Although the wound was small, it brought the Striker great pain. It gave a scream of pain as it ran away.  KwangMi was still crying even though the Striker wasn’t there. She walked pointlessly to her mother and fell to the ground next to the lifeless body.

“Have faith in your father.” Her mother’s words rang in her ears. She closed her mother’s dilated eyes. KwangMi sang the lullaby her mother sang to her when she was younger. She kept singing until she couldn’t do anything but cry her heart out. When she finally gained strength, she got up. She went to pick up the spear. Then she took her mother and went to the backyard. She grabbed a shovel and started to dig. She dug a grave for her mother. It was all she could afford right now.

“Sleep well, Umma. I’ll try to have faith.” KwangMi said as she placed a flower on top of her mother. She closed the grave and went inside. She finished the dishes and went to bed.

“Appa, come soon.” KwangMi whispered into the air as she drifted off to sleep.