Chapter 36

My Guardians

 

           Night soon fell, and after a day of teasing KwangMi and D.O everyone went into their respective rooms. Suho and Kris where extra careful and personally escorted D.O to his. They weren't quite ready for another press conference.

"I thought I was the umma." D.O mumbled as he walked with Suho and Kris on either side of him.

"You are." Kris assured.

"Then, I should be the most trusted!" D.O complained.

"Even Ummas lose control sometimes." Suho said.

"Well, I'm not that kind of Umma." D.O sulked.

"Of course you're not." Kris said sarcastically. D.O opened the door to his room and dragged his feet inside."

Good night~" Suho waved and said.

"Yeah yeah yeah." D.O said closing the door.

"Can't even trust me and I'm the Umma." D.O still held his grudge. Kai chuckled from his bed.

"What happened? Umma doesn't like to be escorted places?" Kai teased. D.O mimicked his tone of voiced causing Kai to scoff.

"Maybe you're really the baby." Kai sighed. D.O scowled as he angrily tucked himself into bed.

"Good night~" Kai cooed, only to be responded with an 'mmm'. Kai tucked himself into bed and memorized what his room looked like.

"Balli~ turn off the lights so I can sleep!" D.O ordered. Kai let a small laugh escape his lips as he turned off the lamp on the nightstand that separated their beds. Kai laid on his back and turned his head to take in the scenery of the dark night sky that he could see from the window. D.O's body started to relax and his breathing started to even out.

'I guess it's almost time for me to go.' Kai thought looking at his roommate. When D.O's breathing was completely even, Kai allowed a small sigh to escape from his mouth. He turned his head to D.O with a weak smile and tears threatening to fall from his eyes at the thought of leaving his present family.

"I'll sure miss you buddy, wherever I go, I promise I'll try my hardest to stay safe." Kai's voice was shaking and it was getting harder for Kai to speak. "You stay happy with KwangMi; I'll be watching from afar, where I know that I can't hurt your relationship." A tear slowly fell from the corner of his eye. The blanket where Kai one lay was now making its way down until it landed on the bed where it stayed practically unused for the whole night.

        The morning sun hit D.O's eyes and he unwillingly opened them. He slowly took off his blanket and sat up on his bed. He fixed his shirt and hid the flesh that was showing as he slid on his slippers and got up. The young man scratched his head as he walked out the door to go to the bathroom, not taking a second to examine his room.

"Good morning Kai." He expectantly said as he walked throughout the door now wide awake. He was greeted with silence until he realized that the bed was empty. Kai was usually awake by the time D.O came back from the bathroom, but never on his feet. He went back to the bathroom confused.

'Maybe he teleported there after hearing my footsteps.' D.O consoled himself with the thought. D.O opened the door to the bathroom without a second thought.

"Yah, Ka-" D.O looked up, only to be greeted by Kris whose upper body wasn't hidden and his eyes sharpened at the intrusion. The toothbrush in his mouth didn't hide Kris' scowl.

"What do you want?" Kris mumbled.

"Have you seen Kai?" D.O asked use to the attitude of his comrade in the morning. Still, he hadn't seen this much flesh from Kris and felt a bit of jealousy at his nicely toned abdominal muscles.

"You're usually the first to see Kai." Kris pointed out.

"I know, but I haven't seen him, so I thought maybe he went walking around the castle or something." D.O started to worry.

"No. I haven't seen him. He'll probably show up for breakfast." Kris rinsed his mouth after saying that. D.O was still there as Kris wiped his face with a towel.

"Don't worry. He'll show up." Kris said putting a hand on the younger boy's shoulder to encourage him. D.O nodded slightly before Kris started walking back to his room.

"I should go and start to make breakfast." D.O whispered to himself.