Chapter 28

My Guardians

 

                    Lay pulled out his letter from his pocket.


“The handwriting is identical. I guess he did.” Lay said just as astonished. “Well, are you going to open it?” KwangMi shook her head.


“I’m scared.” KwangMi said. “What if he said something bad about me?” Lay chuckled.


“He wouldn’t do that. Kwan- Appa, isn’t that type of person.” Lay comforted. KwangMi still shook her head.


“I’m scared.” KwangMi still continued to say. Lay let a small chuckle out of his lips.


“Come on, I’ll open it with you.” Lay gestured for her to sit. KwangMi still shook her head.


“In my room.” She said. Lay let out a sigh.


“Arraso, arraso.” He said as KwangMi quickly shuffled her feet. She used this time to worry.


‘What if he tell me something that I don’t want to her? What if everything I thought I knew was I lie? What if-’ She thought.


“Stop worrying!” Lay said causing KwangMi to jump out of her thoughts.


“I can’t~!” KwangMi cried.


“Aish~! Worrying does really run in our family.” Lay said. KwangMi opened the door to her room. Lay went in first and sat down on her bed. KwangMi held the letter in her hand and just stood at the door for a while after closing it.


“Come sit.” Lay said. KwangMi looked up shyly and sat next to him. He put on top of hers knowing she wasn’t ready to open the envelope yet. For a while, they sat there in silence.


“These are Appa’s last words. The last words that’ll ever be known to me from him. What if they’re bad?” KwangMi said breaking the silence.


“Well, then you’ll have to live with it. It’s his last words; he won’t be able to take them back. What  if they’re good?” Lay said comforting her. Those words filled KwangMi’s heart with hope. She hadn’t even thought of a brighter side; fear took over and made her think negatively. She slipped her hand out of Lay’s and finally opened the envelope. She held the folded piece of paper in her hand.


“Do you want me to read it out to you?” Lay asked knowing how nervous she was. KwangMi shyly nodded and handed the paper out to him.  Lay unfolded the paper with a sigh. He smiled at the familiar handwriting and signature at the bottom of the page.


Dear KwangMi” Lay started to read. “My dearest baby girl. My mistakes have impacted your whole life, I know that, and if I could go back in time I would fix all of that, but it’s too late. The past has gone and the future has yet to come. KwangMi, I should’ve been there for you at birth. I should’ve visited or maybe called. I should’ve let you know that I was waiting for you, but I couldn’t. I ran away once, I couldn’t do it again unless I wanted everything to fall apart.” Lay glanced over at KwangMi. Her eyes were closed and her hands were clenched to form fists. He could tell she was frustrated and her aura was filled with guiltiness.


What matter now is that you are safe. By now, I hope you know, but if you don’t I’ll tell you now.” Lay continued reading. “Lay is your brother. I keep you in his hands just as I keep you in his. There is one thing I ask of you KwangMi: stay queen. Lay has much to know about being royal and quite frankly I don’t think he’s ready to be King yet.” Lay scoffed at what he was reading.


‘Oh~ Thanks Appa~’ Lay sarcastically thought. KwangMi chuckled at Lay’s reaction and took his hand to encourage him.


“Don’t worry. One day you’ll be king~” KwangMi promised. Lay ruffled her hair and continued reading.
Follow your heart KwangMi. Do what you want, knowing it is the right thing to do. Stay strong, even at the hardest times. Cling onto what you desire.” These sentences made KwangMi actually think about what she wanted. She zoned out and couldn’t hear Lay’s voice anymore.


‘What do I really want?’ KwangMi thought.


Signed,  King KwangJoo.” Lay finished reading. Lay waved his hand in front of KwangMi’s face.


“Hello~? KwangMi~?” Lay called. KwangMi snapped out of her thoughts. Lay smiled at her.


“See~ his words weren’t bad~! You were worrying for no reason.” Lay said. Lay ruffled her hair. He returned the letter to her and stood up.


“I wonder  why D.O isn’t calling me anymore. He should be shouting my name all throughout the castle by now.” Lay joked. KwangMi laughed.


“Go check. Make sure none of them feel uncomfortable with you being Prince. make sure they don’t treat you any differently, arraso?” KwangMi said.


“Arraso, arraso. Good night dongsaeng~” Lay said at the door.


“Good night Oppa~” KwangMi said before Lay closed the door. KwangMi laid on her bed more comfortably. For a bit longer, she thought more about what her father wrote to her.


“My father is saying I have power.” KwangMi gasped. “I know what I want.”

 


Sorry for the late update >.< My weekend has been really busy andd I haven't had time to write, sorry~!!