Chapter 39

My Guardians

 

Kyungsoo's parents died first. So, the young man who excelled in his studies and who was expected to do well, left his home town and went to the King's castle. There he met, Suho, formerly known as Joonmyun and Chanyeol, who kept his name. He was accepted with joy and easily fit in. The King, he soon found out like everyone else, wasn't as scary or strict as he seemed. The King told Kyungsoo of how his parents died and even felt guilty. However, the Strikers' attacks didn't end so easily. Kyungsoo found himself fighting alongside Jongin's parents. The stories Kyungsoo could tell Jongin when he came made him happy. The fact that his parents weren't bad people as Jongin had thought. That they wanted to come home, but it was their duty to stay with the King. But all guardians had to go through this.

Jongin was alone again, with his one friend gone. He was awfully shy and couldn't bring himself to talk to the older kids or even kids his age. He trained hard though; he was fit to be a guardian before his teenage years.

Not too soon either.

He was summoned to the castle after hearing the news of his parents' death. Unlike when he saw Kyungsoo leave, no one said goodbye to him. No one gave him hugs or goodbye kisses.

'Maybe leaving this town was a good thing.' Kai said feeling the hurt once again. His sisters failed to show up, but he wasn't expecting otherwise anyway.

So, he left with the messenger with only a sigh to bid the town farewell. Though, leaving the town left him with no hope, there was hope in seeing Kyungsoo again. The ride was longer than it was supposed to be. Jongin was the first person to get picked up, but there were two more that were summoned to serve. One was Baekhyun, 2 years his elder, though his looks didn't support that fact.

'He still doesn't look 2 years older than me.' Kai chuckled to himself.

The other was Sehun, a boy his age, a few months younger and much more fragile, especially after hearing of his parents' death. Both other boys were let go with kisses and hugs, something Jongin longed for but didn't get. Both boys had glassy eyes, hearing their parents' died was no easy task for them.

"Where you close to your parents?" Jongin asked both boys who tried consoling each other.

Neither said anything.

"I wasn't, they left me when I was an infant." Sehun spoke up.

"I was about 3 when they left. I don't have any memories of them." Baekhyun said, not sure if that was infancy or not.

"Then why are you crying? It really makes no sense, for all you know, they could be bad people." Jongin said.

"But they still brought us in the world. Life is something to celebrate, when the person who gave you such a great gift dies, won't you feel sad?" Baekhyun said. Jongin thought, Baekhyun too, like Kyungsoo, sounded to intellectual considering his young age. However, the point was still made. Even thinking of the memory still made present Kai or past Jongin's heart waver. The point stayed the same. Family did matter.
'I'm the bad person.' Kai realized. 'For giving up on my family, in the past and now. I've given up.' He could go back to the castle, back to his family, but he hesitated.

'What if I'm the reason the family breaks up?'