Chapter 41

My Guardians

 

Jongin slung his backpack over his shoulder and started walking. He was part of the human world again; if he teleported someone might see, especially in broad daylight.

“Jongin!” Someone called for him out of breath. He turned around expecting to see no one, perhaps he was hearing things, but behind him was D.O.

“You’re bleeding.” The latter walked towards him with his pocket first aid kit that he learned to always carry around.

Jongin stood there stunned. He felt like crying, but no tears fell from his eyes. He felt like fainting, but he stayed standing up. The elder took the confused boy’s arm and turned it revealing the blood flowing from Jongin’s elbow.

“How’d you manage to do that?” D.O asked. The question dissolved in the air without an answer. Jongin couldn’t believe D.O was right there.

“This might hurt a little.” D.O informed before he wiped Kai’s elbow with an alcohol pad. He winced a bit in pain, but did nothing more.

“You’ve matured.” D.O said with a smile as he finished putting the bandage on. Jongin looked at D.O, his face filled with confusion, and yet, D.O could sense a bit of hope in him.

‘He was crying.’ D.O thought, his smile fading.

“This is where we first met.” D.O guided the conversation. He hadn’t been here in years. “Just call me Kyungsoo.” D.O laughed. The name felt so unfamiliar on his tongue.

“K-Kyungsoo hyung.” Kai whispered. He loved that name, the memories that ran through his head as he said that name, the comfort he felt, the warmth he felt, he felt like he belonged.

“Why did you come out here Jongin? Of all places in this world, you came here.” Kyungsoo was now showing. Neither were themselves, they were small and fragile, like children.

“I don’t know.”

“Then come back. You don’t belong here.” KwangMi came and said. Jongin looked up and immediately looked away.

“Kai, I’m sorry.” Jongin was shocked by her apology.

“My family is the reason for your sadness isn’t it?” Jongin’s heart started to race.

‘Does she know? She figured out?!’

“Because they were guardians, your parents had to come and protect my family.” Jongin let out his breath, not even knowing he was even holding it inside.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault.” Jongin spoke up. "nor your family's."

“I was jealous.” He lifted his head and looked at the two of them. “Of you.” He looked at Kyungsoo.

“Me? What? Why?” Kyungsoo asked flustered. Kai blushed and didn’t respond.

“Wait, don’t tell me…” A light bulb went on in KwangMi’s head.

“The new law?” She whispered. He slowly nodded his head.

Guilt filled her as she understood.

“Kai,” She walked over to him, knowing how he felt. “I’m so sorry.” She hugged him and tried to stay strong as he cried into her shoulder.

She felt warm, like he'd always wanted.

She was softly telling him that it was all okay as she patted his back.

Kyungsoo walked toward the two.

“Kai, come back. We all miss you. Even if it was for a few hours, we missed you. We were all worried, please come back. Come home.” He pleaded.

Kai mattered, he knew he did. He mattered to them. He was wrong; he didn’t even know his own feelings for KwangMi.

He loved her, yes, but he needed her. Her warmth, her childishness which contradicts with her maturity, her worrying over the slightest things, her hugs; they all reminded him of the mother he never had.

“Jongin-ah~” KwangMi called him. She pushed him forward and wiped his tears away. “Kaja, let’s go see your brothers.” She smiled brightly.

As though her smile was contagious Jongin smiled.

As though his smile was contagious Kyungsoo smiled.

The spirits were uplifted.

“Let’s go home.” Kai took their hands and the scenery change from the great outdoors to the great big castle’s kitchen.

“Kai!” They all called and ran to hug him. Sehun and Tao were first. All the other’s crowded around him except one.

Kris.

He was happy, you could see that from every inch of his face, but he shyly sat in his seat and watched.

Suho scolded him for leaving and keeping them worried as the group hug ended.

“Calm down Joonmyun. At least he’s back.” Kris said. He rubbed Suho’s back to make him stop talking.

“It’s nice to have you back.” Kris said taking him under his arm.

“It’s nice to be back.” Kai said.

“Listen, Kris. I’m sorry for-” Kai continued.

“Don’t sweat it.” Kris cut him off. “No need to apologize.” Kai smiled and listened to Sehun and KwangMi whine for food.

While the three were out, half the day passed.

‘It’s nice to be back.’ Kai thought. He took in the familiar scenery, the familiar smell, the familiar, well, everything. He missed his family. Everything he could’ve ever wanted was right in front of him

‘This, is my crazy yet loving family. It’s kind of better than I expected.’ Kai smiled to himself.