What I Should Have Been

EXPOSITION

*EunJung*

"Are you sure dear?"

"I'm positive."

The nurse left to go get the doctor who would bear the news to me. I tried to relax myself in order to brace myself for the bad news.

The doctor soon came in to the room with the same nurse right behind him.

"Jeon EunJung, I will ask you one last time. Are you ready?"

"Yes, please just tell me." my raspy voice answered.

The doctor took a deep breath before he began to explain.

"When you were shot, your lung was grazed and that's why it's very hard for you to talk and breathe. If the ambulance hadn't have arrived when they did, you would probably have died."

I took in what he was saying but I knew that he was only setting the foundation for the real news.

"From the time of your accident all the way up into the time of your operation you lost a lot of blood. We were lucky to get the blood transfusions right on time. However..."

This was it.

"Even though we saved your life. We weren't able to save the fetus. The lack of oxygen and blood in your body wasn't sufficient enough to support the growing fetus. We had to remove it."

I was at a lost for words. I could not believe what I was hearing. I had to confirm.

"Did...you just say...fetus?" I said my breath more uneasy.

"Yes. Ms. Jeon, could it be...did you not know you were two months gone?"

Two months pregnant. A two month old baby, was growing inside of me. Now dead and gone.

My mind immediately flickered to the baby that was almost me. Dead. If only I knew ahead of time what was inside of me.

Two months old. The baby did not belong to anyone other than Taecyeon.

My mind then faded in to Taecyeon. A baby that wasn't wanted...but had. Then treated like a mistake.

My baby. My baby.

"Ms. Jeon?" the doctor.

My breathing started to become erratic. I began heaving and crying.

The doctor immediately became alert and began to call other doctors.

My body began shaking beyond my control I couldn't so anything but scream.

"Aaaaaaaaah!!!!!" My lung was on fire.

"You must stop screaming!" The nurse yelled trying to coax me.

"Aaaaaaaaahhh!!! Taecyeon!!!!" I shouted the only name I wanted. My eyes forced themselves close to deal with the pain.

Tears ran down my face. I ignored the burning pain in my chest as well as the unusual contracting of my heart.

"Taecyeon!!! Taecyeon!!!! Aaaaaaaah!!!" My body began shaking uncontrolably.

Doctors came rushing in and I could begin to hear my family's frantic cries fade in after.

"Taecyeon!!!! Aaaaa-" my breath was cut short. I couldn't breathe. I tried gasping for air but I could hold none.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

*Taecyeon*

I left EunJung in the room with the doctor and sat outside next to the door with the rest of her family. The only thing on my mind was what they doctor could possibly be telling her.

The six of us sat outside quietly still worrying about EunJung. I really wished I could be inside the room with her. But then again, i'm sure we all wished the same thing.

We all tried to be patient but it was killing us. Nobody said a word. We just wanted this to be over.

Just then we all heard a loud blood curdling scream from the one we all knew well.

"Aaaaaaaaaaah!" EunJung screamed.

We all stood up immediately went to the door.

"Aaaaaaaaahhh!!! Taecyeon!!!!" EunJung screamed again.

After hearing my name I couldn't stay outside any longer. My baby needed me.

Two doctors went in before me but I followed right behind them. Her family was close behind me.

"Taecyeon!!! Taecyeon!!!! Aaaaaaaah!!!" my heart sank as I finally made it around room to get a view of her that wasn't blocked by doctors. EunJung was screaming, shaking, and crying with no restraint.

"Baby! EunJung! I'm right here! Taecyeon is right here!" I called.

"Taecyeon!!!! Aaaaa-" her breath cut abruptly but she began shaking harder than before. The beeping from the heart machine accelorated immensely.

There was a moment of silence before the doctor pressed the red button and spoke franticaly in to the speaker.

"Get an open O.R, ready ASAP! We need a stretcher in room 427 STAT!" the doctor shouted as they unhooked EunJung from the machine and got her ready to be transfered.

"What's wrong?! What's going on with her?!" we all demanded to know.

"We need all of you out of the room! The tear on her lung reopened and she can't breathe! Plus she's going into cardiac arrest! Please we need all of you out so the stretcher can come in!"

We all reluctantly left the room as a long stretcher went into the room. In less than a minute they were wheeling EunJung hurridley down the hall. The six of us rushed after them all the way to the double swing doors of the O.R.

"You all have to stay out here!" the doctor shouted before they were off on their way into the operating room.

I fell with my back against the wall and slid down to the ground with my hands over my face. I didn't give a damn who was looking. I cried. My breath was hitching as I cried for my love. I couldn't control myself, the tears rolled down my face relentlessly.

I then felt a pair of arms go wrap around over my shoulders. My red eyes and face looked over at the individual and found that it was EunJung's mother.

She rubbed my back and for once in my life, it felt like I had a mother.

========================================================================