Chapter 39

Ticket To Heaven

“Is this Selina’s room?” the man questioned.

“Uh…yes,” Jiro answered quickly and hurried to help the man take a seat.

“Thank you,” Mr. Ren thanked. “So who are you? It looks like you’ve been sitting here quite a while.”

Jiro nodded as he stood by Selina’s bed.

“I’m Selina’s husband. My name’s Jiro,” Jiro introduced himself.

Mr. Ren’s eyes twinkled and he smiled, “So she has a husband. My daughter has married after all.”

“You’re her father?” Jiro asked.

“The nurse told me yesterday that her blood is the reason why I’m still living,” Mr. Ren told. “I don’t have much of a reason to keep living but I want to thank her and tell her I did forgive her after all this time. I haven’t been a really good father…if I could I would really want to lessen her pain but I can’t take back the mistakes I’ve made.”

Jiro turned to look at Selina who seemed to be smiling in her sleep.

“I know because of me she’s blamed herself over her brother’s death,” Mr. Ren began. “Do you think she can hear me?”

Jiro was going to tell Mr. Ren about Selina going deaf but decided better.

“I’m pretty sure she can. If it’s you she’ll try to hear,” Jiro replied.

Mr. Ren smiled, “Tell your mother I’m doing well and don’t worry about me. Selina you have a very good husband so live a good life. Take care of yourself and get well soon.”

Mr. Ren turned to Jiro and shook his hand.

“You take care of her now,” Mr. Ren told.

Jiro nodded then watched as Mr. Ren headed out of the room. When he left Jiro bent over and touched Selina’s face.

“Did you hear all that Selina? Your father forgives you.” Jiro whispered into her ear and soon noticed a tear trickling down Selina’s face.

The next day Jiro found himself in a very good mood that he was cooking breakfast. He found himself cooking something for Selina in case she might wake up. After cooking and packing the food into a few containers he excitedly got in a taxi and off he was headed toward the hospital. As the light turned from red to green the taxi drove forward, but as the car made its way across the street a large tour bus turned right into them. The last thing Jiro remembered was the loud crash and windows breaking.

_*_*_*_*_*_

It was one of those usual hot days that Selina and her brother liked a lot. It was one of those days that they were allowed to go to the lake and cool off.

“Come on Pete!” Selina shouted her small arms flying in the air.

“Alright but slow down Selina,” Pete said before she jumped into the water. “Remember to not go out too far. I’m not helping you if you get stuck!”

“Yea, yea,” Selina replied ignorantly.

It felt so cold, so good against her sweaty, sticky skin. Selina smiled as she splashed about in the water. Pete had sat down on the grass watching his sister enjoy herself.

“Hey Selina be careful!” Pete shouted as Selina went a little deeper into the water. He'd been watching her from the rock he'd been sitting on.

“Don’t worry! See! Pete I got a taller!” Selina shouted as she stood up straight in the water that reached her chest.

Selina jumped around a little and found herself slipping into the tight waves.

“Pete! Pete!” she screamed flailing her arms around as if she could catch hold of something.

Pete jumped to his feet and ran after along the ground as the current carried Selina away. He came to a stop noticing it would be no use, he would never get to her before she would finally disappear from sight. Gulping Pete jumped into the water.

“Selina!” he screamed as he pushed further and further into the waves.

It was a short rough battle but Pete finally made it as he grabbed Selina’s hand.

“I got you,” he told her. “You’re ok now.”

 “Pete…” Selina cried clutching onto her brother’s shirt.

As they got to the shallow part of the water Pete let go of Selina.

“You can get up yourself right?” questioned Pete.

Selina nodded her eyes full of fear and tears. Pete smiled as his hand disappeared under water and the small current dragged him away before Selina could realize what had just happened. She turned around alarmed as she had just reached dry land.

“Pete! No! Pete! Come back! No! NO!” Selina screamed.

Pete his used his remaining energy to pull her back to safety. The sight in front of her changed and she found herself hugging herself in the present house she shared with only Jiro.

“Deaf or not I’ll be with you even if you’re dying I’ll stay with you. Wherever you go I want to be there with you. I told you I like you now…no…maybe I even love you now. Do you hear that? I love you.”

Selina moved raised her head up to see Jiro smiling at her.

“Jiro,” Selina called his name.

“I promise I’ll be here waiting for you. I’ll be the first person you see when you open your eyes.”

“Jiro,” Selina mumbled as she felt her heart beating fast and felt something that scared her.

One of those feelings that something terrible had happened and you couldn’t do anything to stop it. One of those feelings that you’d be the last to know. Selina felt her fingers grab onto something and tightened her hold on it.

“Hey, Wu Chun I think Selina’s waking up,” Aaron told half turning around to look at him.

He was standing by the bed between Selina and Wu Chun who was looking out the door for Jiro. Wu Chun turned around to see Selina gripping the hospital bed sheet. Selina tossed her head a couple times and her breathing got faster alerting Aaron who quickly panicked.

“Should…should we get the doctor?” asked Aaron.

Wu Chun glanced over to find that Selina had opened her eyes.

“Selina!” Wu Chun shouted in joy.

“Where’s Jiro?” Selina quickly asked.

Wu Chun and Aaron turned to look at each other just before they heard loud footsteps through the hallway. Pat and Eric appeared at the door.

“Jiro’s just been in an accident,” one of them said.

Selina unplugged the IV drip immediately from her skin without hesitation and jumped out of the bed heading toward the door when Wu Chun held her back with his strong arms.

“No! Let me go,” Selina cried. “I’m not going to sit around and wait.”

“You’re still sick,” Wu Chun told.

“Jiro could be in the emergency room,” Selina mumbled.

Feeling Wu Chun lighten his grip on her Selina pushed his arm away and ran passed him. Somehow Selina had found her way around the hospital, to the front desk, and was now panting and feeling cold, but she ignored the feeling as she stood before the two large doors.

“Are you sure it’s here? Are you sure it’s him?” asked Selina without turning around.

“I’m pretty sure.” Replied Eric.

“This better not be a stupid joke from either one of you,” Wu Chun mumbled.

“Hey don’t think we’re that disloyal. Besides where’s Mod?” questioned Pat.

Aaron rolled his eyes, “She’s with someone else now! So be quiet! Both of you!”

They all stared back at Aaron shocked because he had never shouted at anyone before. One of the ER doors open and a doctor in a white jacket walked out. As he pulled down the mask he was wearing Selina’s heart thumped faster and faster waiting for his answer.

“I’m sorry. We did all we could,” the doctor told.

Angry tears slipped from Selina’s eyes.

“You liar! You didn’t even try! You’re a doctor! Go back in there and save my husband’s life!” Selina screamed in his face.

Wu Chun quickly tried to hold Selina back but it was hopeless. She threw his arms off of her and ran into through the doors.

“Hey! You can’t go in there! Hey! Miss!” the doctor shouted but before he could run in there Wu Chun was holding him back.

“Let her go,” Wu Chun said.

Selina tossed all the equipments off the table she saw before her screaming. At last when she finally felt tired she turned and stared at Jiro who lay so still his eyes closed just like how looked like when he slept so peacefully.

“You’re not Jiro,” Selina mumbled. “Wake up! Jiro!”