Chapter 3

Ticket To Heaven

Selina made a face, “Just do it or he’ll really cut off your head.”

Jiro groaned and didn’t say anything. Grandpa Ren smiled.

“Tomorrow you two will be legally wife and husband,” Grandpa Ren told.

Selina’s head shot up, “Grandpa! Wait!”

“What?” Grandpa Ren asked looking at her.

“I…I want to wait to see if Calvin really left,” Selina said.

“You’re still sticking onto that bad boy?” Grandpa Ren questioned.

“He’s…he’s not all bad,” Selina told her voice going quiet, “I haven’t seen him so I just want to see if he’s really gone yet…”

“Dad,” Mrs. Ren said.

“Ok, fine. The day after tomorrow I’ll only give you one day since you’ve broken too many rules,” Grandpa Ren told.

“Thank you,” Selina thanked.

Selina walked into her room and knocked her head into the wall.

“How could you even think of drinking?! You dumbo!” she shouted at herself.

“What a show,” Jiro said from the doorway clapping his hands.

“Shut up!” Selina snapped.

Jiro laughed, “It’s all your fault now I have to marry a country bumpkin.”

“What did you just call me?!” questioned Selina.

“And here I was thinking of a way to escape, but all thanks to you I’m stuck here in this hell for the rest of my life.”

“Hell?! You call this hell?! You’re hell!” Selina screamed.

Jiro laughed again, “Oh please. Can’t you think of anything else to say? You say all useless stuff. I can’t be hell because hell is a place and I’m not a place. You see the difference.”

“Shut up,” Selina said. “You think you’re all this and all that. If I were God I would never let you enter Heaven.”

Jiro’s eyes turned serious, “What did you say?”

Selina laughed mockingly, “I made a good comeback didn’t I? It’s my first one in a long time! Yay!”

“Shut up you idiot! You’re so stupid no one would ever want to marry you! Just be happy that I’m being forced to do it!” Jiro snapped and walked out.

Selina watched him walk out confused, “What did I do?”

_*_*_*_*_*_

Just as Selina had done earlier Jiro knocked his head into the wall.

“What did I do to deserve this?! I hate this place! It smells and it ! Worst of all I even have to marry HER!” Jiro shouted. “God why?! Why didn’t you just let me die!”

“Jiro?” a voice said from the doorway.

Jiro quickly turned to see Mrs. Ren standing there her hands clutching her chest.

“Can I speak to you?” Selina’s mom asked.

Moments later Jiro found himself sitting outside by a large tree.

“Selina isn’t a very smart girl,” Mrs. Ren explaineld.

“I think I know that,” Jiro replied. It was particularly obvious to realize that fact when you started talking to her. “What else?”

“She…she’s a very fragile person,” Mrs. Ren said her voice shaky, “her father used to abuse her a lot….” Mrs. Ren’s tears were dropping.

It surprised Jiro even more to hear this. A girl like her, a girl who was so stupid, a girl who would never mean to harm anyone, a girl like that would get hit by her father. Jiro just couldn’t believe it, but then looking upon his own life Jiro believed it to be true. Anything could happen to anyone.

“She thinks it’s her fault her father left us here,” Mrs. Ren said, “and that Calveen guy. He’s been influencing her to do bad stuff. So if you could please give her the happiness she needs and take away all the bad things in her life, since she’s suffered so much already, I’ll really feel relaxed to put her into your care.”

By now tears were streaming down her face then for some reason Jiro felt a lot of pity for the Ren family.

“I promise I’ll do my best,” Jiro said though he knew he wouldn’t be able to keep this promise. Every promise he’d ever made...he was never able to keep them.

The next day passed by quickly. Calvin did not appear as Selina had wanted. The coming day appeared quickly. Jiro was still sound asleep in his room when his door opened letting the cold morning breeze in.

“Hey! Wake up!” Selina said shaking Jiro.

Jiro groaned trying to pull the blanket over himself but Selina hurriedly snatched it away and slapped him on the leg. He howled and sat up.

“Get up you bumhead!” Selina shouted and walked out of the room.

Jiro scowled and dropped back onto the bed. Moments after he woke up he found Selina in the kitchen wrapping something up.

“What’s this?” he asked trying to grab one but Selina slapped his hand. “Fine whatever. I don’t want to eat it if it’s not even edible anyway.”

Selina made a face and packed them into a bag along with a bottle of water.

“Come on,” Selina urged.

Jiro followed behind her as she led them somewhere. The sky was gray and the tall grass or whatever it was around them were yellow and starting to die. The ground underneath still seemed to be soft but squishy because of the little rain last night.

“Hey where are we going?” Jiro called out.

“We’re almost there,” Selina shouted back.

Jiro whined in complaint and just kept following her until they came to a stop at what seemed like a long thing growing out of the ground. It was actually the mound where someone was buried.

“This is my older brother’s grave,” Selina said turning back to look at Jiro as he came to a stop somewhat behind her.

“Oh,” was all Jiro managed.

Selina took the wraps out of the bag and placed them by the mound and poured the water on them.

“They might be a little hard but enjoy it with this water,” Selina said.

Jiro looked around and finally saw a stone with a name written on it. Pete Ren.

“Bro, guess what?” Selina asked her voice somewhat calm and sad. “I’m going to be getting married today. It may not be a happy marriage so give us your blessings ok?” Selina laughed a little and got up. “Lets go.”

Jiro stared back at the mound for a few seconds then followed after Selina. He wasn't sure whether he should show pity or not.

“Uh…hey,” Jiro said. “I’m just wondering…but who did your dad love most?”

“My mom and brother,” Selina said then quickly added, “grandpa must be up by now we better hurry.”

Jiro watched as she quickened her pace. He noticed how she hadn’t mentioned her name when he had asked.

“What a father,” he mumbled and hurried after her.

The ceremony took the whole day but it ended before ten at night. A new bedroom was already set up for them. Everyone else was happy except for the newly weds. They glared at each other as they stepped into the room.

“Goodnight!” her grandma said waving as they entered the room.

Jiro and Selina turned around pulling their best smiles on and waved back.

“Bye,” they called stiffly.

“Aww…just look at them mom,” Mrs. Ren said.

Grandma Ren laughed, “I remembered the first night I married your father. We were just like this.”

“We’re nothing like you guys.” Selina heard Jiro mutter.

Selina glared at Jiro and poked him at the side.

“Ah!” Jiro shrieked.

“Goodnight mom and grandma,” Selina said.

“I guess Selina wants us to leave so they can do their you know their ‘thing’,” Grandma Ren.

“What do you mean?!” Selina asked.

Jiro gave a big laugh as he slipped his arm around Selina and pulled her close.

“Yea I’m kind of in a hurry,” Jiro told playing along.

Grandma Ren and Mrs. Ren gave each other a look and smiled back quickly shutting the door.

“Have a nice night now dear,” Mrs. Ren told Selina who had a very confused look on her face.

As the door shut Jiro pushed Selina away making her fly across the room. Selina caught herself against the table when Jiro threw his shirt off. Selina’s eyes popped open and quickly turned to face the wall.

“What are you doing?!” Selina asked.

“Can’t you see? I’m taking off my shirt,” Jiro told her.

“Do it elsewhere,” Selina ordered.

“Why? This is just fine it’s not like I have a chest like yours,” Jiro said chuckling.

Selina gasped loudly pulling her arms across her chest, “ert!”

“Yea, your erted husband,” Jiro agreed, “get out then if you don’t want to see me .”

“You!” Selina shouted turning around to see Jiro had slipped a t-shirt on. She grabbed a book off the table and tossed it at him.

“Ow!” Jiro screamed. “That hurt! I still have open wounds for your information!”

Selina just glared at him, “Get out!”

“Make me!” Jiro challenged. Selina uttered a sound but wasn’t able to say anything. “I’d like to see you take off your clothes!”

Selina stared at him a moment longer and opened the door to step out but found her grandma and mother crouching by the doorway. Selina looked at them with surprise and they smiled guiltily back.

“We weren’t eavesdropping,” Grandma Ren said quickly standing up. “Lets go we were just heading to wash the dishes. That’s all.”

Mrs. Ren got up and smiled at Selina then followed her mother walking away. Selina stared after them and turned back to see Jiro laying down on the bed lazily. Selina made a face and walked away to her old bedroom. After she’d changed into some normal comfortable clothes Selina sat down on her bed sighing.

“I have the worst life ever,” Selina told herself.

The door burst open and Grandpa Ren stood there. Selina who had drifted off to bed shot up from her bed to look at him with red shot eyes.

“Selina,” her grandpa said.

“I…I was not sleeping!” Selina said standing up and ruffling her hair then gave a nervous laugh.

“Go to bed,” Grandpa Ren told.

Selina looked at her grandpa feeling lost.

“In your room with Jiro,” Grandpa Ren said sternly.

Selina’s shoulders dropped and she dragged herself out and headed back into the room with Jiro. From the doorway she could see her grandpa watching her with arms crossed.

‘They’re really determined to force this marriage,’ Selina thought to herself.

Selina sighed and climbed onto the bed far away from Jiro and pulled the blanket over her. When she looked again she found the doors closed and her grandpa gone. Selina turned over and over in bed.

“What is it? You’re so annoying,” Jiro said.

She turned her hand slightly just to see that he was turned away from her, “You still awake?”

Jiro sat up, “I told you this place is darn filthy I can’t even sleep for five minutes without bugs climbing on me.”

Selina sat up, “There are bugs?”

She quickly got off the bed and the lights to see something black crawling over Jiro’s arm.

“Eeek!” she screamed pointing at it. “Your blood! They’re on your blood!”

Jiro threw his hand on top of the bug squishing it. Selina made a face. Jiro laughed cheerily.

“That’s disgusting,” Selina commented then moaned. “I can’t sleep anymore all thanks to you.”

Selina walked over to the table in the room and opened one of the drawers to find a stack of cards laying there.

“Hey! I got an idea lets play cards!” Selina suggested.

Jiro stared back at her, “That’s lame.”

“No it’ll be really fun! I used to play with grandpa all the time!” Selina said running over and sat down on the bed. “Here I’ll teach you, you’ll like it!”

“Oh please, I’m not a kid anymore,” Jiro said pushing the cards away from him.

Selina sat there and pouted at him, “Come on. If you don’t want to play then should we just talk all night?”

“You’re so girly,” Jiro told and grabbed the cards from her, “I have a better idea.”

Jiro grabbed the cards from her hands and shuffled them then laid them out on the bed in between them.

“This is called Memory!” Jiro said raising his hands in the air. “I’ve always won at this game! I was known as a memory collector! You know how to play it?”

“Memory collector?” Selina repeated and laughed. “That sounds dumb!”

“Hey! Hey! Shut up! It was a real honor for me,” Jiro told, “you better not laugh!”

“A real honor for you because you must have been a bumhead,” Selina laughed.

“Hey! I said shut up you dimwit!” Jiro scolded angrily.

Selina shook her head and started to pick two cards to find that they matched.

“Oh look, I got pairs,” Selina said.

Jiro watched as she went on picking card after card and every two cards she picked were matches. His eyes opened wide as he found that she’d found all the matches in one try.

“Again! Again!” Jiro shouted. “You cheater! You must already know where all the cards are!”

Selina stared at Jiro, “You just can’t admit you lost.”

Jiro grabbed the cards from her hand stubbornly and shuffled them laying them out again. After the next round Jiro picked a few cards but didn’t find any matches. Selina laughed joyfully as she found all the matches. Again they argued and Jiro shuffled then laid out the cards again. After a few rounds when Jiro finally got his first pairs he started screaming.

“See! I’m not that dumb!” Jiro declared. “I got them you see?! The memory collector is back!” Jiro turned to look at Selina but only to find that she’d fallen asleep. Jiro stared at her and returned to the cards, “Whatever. I can play this myself.”

The next morning Selina woke up to find herself drooling. She sat up wiping her lips only to find that Jiro was asleep by her his hand drenched with her saliva.

“Oh…I must have fallen asleep,” Selina told and got up stretching then opened the doors walking out.